12/7/04 CL GS Matchday 6: FC Porto v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Yeah sorry nicephoras...I was just venting a bit and you happened to spark a deep rooted hartred I have for extortion :)

Next time - more substance, less speel. Honest :)

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

What makes you think this loss will have NO EFFECT on us come Sunday?

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    What makes you think it will have ANY EFFECT on us?

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, besides the few points i have already made, i just don't think a team could take a loss and not be affected at all. From reading other posts, people are saying that Chelsea didn't try 100%. Ok, fine, but mentally, i think it stays in the mind, the loss i mean. Sure, so me losses are easier forgotten than others, but they knew they have a big game this weekend, so they should have at least gone for the tie. Just think this way: if a team is full of confidence and then looses a game, where they didn't try the hardest, on one had they could say, "it meant nothing, we are still the best". But on the other hand, i just can't see a team saying we are the best after they have lost a match, regardless whether they tried or not. I just think their confidence might be affected by today's result. I'll keep my fingers crossed that i'm wrong.

BTW, is FOXSW showing the game on regular channel or PPV on the east coast? i have to order PPV in the west coast.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Um, we lost a friendly, in which we didn't try hard. When you have 97% in a class, do a 5 point assignment and get a 2 on it, is your confidence shot? I know mine wouldn't be.
    Besides, it remains to be seen what losses do to certain teams. After losing to Man City we hardly spiraled down the tubes.

PPV.

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think sometimes we have to separate how we are feeling after a match versus how the team feels, which is really a crapshoot, no one truly knows.

Keeping that in mind - this is just a theory of mine - I believe it will have no effect on us because we play as a TEAM, not a collection of personalities. And true teams help lift each other up after a poor result. Tonight, they shake it out, fly back home, and start anew.

I'm thinking of becoming a sport psychologist one day. ;)

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I really hope you are right. Otherwise, I'm panicking already.

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heh, I noticed. ;)

My trick is to stay calm allll week, until Saturday night, then hope my friends will take me out for multiple drinks. :D

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Being a girl, why would you need friends to take you out for drinks? Showing up at a bar should be enough, especially on a Saturday night!

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FFS nicephorus, I'm not trying to become a barfly. ;) Nah, I just prefer going out with friends, I only rarely pop off for a beer or two by myself.

11. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Porto! We are #1 What did you see..!Porto and the Portoholics running all over you! We are the better team! McCarthy is better than Drogba! Diego is better than Lampard! Quaresma is better than all of you garbage players! We are through and we will regain our Euro dominance.....PORTO! You KNOW IT IS SO!

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Cocaine's a hell of a drug!

13. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LMAO... I was thinking a very similar thought, that post reminded me of a caffeine addict in the middle of a meth binge.

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have some serious problems if by this point in the season you dont realize how confident our players and our manager our. We dont get rattled. We lost to city and ran off 4 straight dominant wins...scoring 13 goals. Calm down, you are being really annoying.

15. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Breath Yasik... and listen to The Man himself:

Mourinho told ITV2: "Nobody likes to lose - and we played enough to get a different result tonight.

"I think we had the best chances to score a second goal even before they did get their second - but they scored and they won.

"I'm not happy but it's better to lose when you can and it doesn't affect the future - rather than when you can't."

Asked if he had any affection for Tuesday night's opponents, Mourinho continued: "I always want to win.

"Whether it's against Porto, Portuguese teams or Chinese teams - I want to win all the time, I'm professional.

16. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Porto fans abound...even in Mexico.

17. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    Unfortunately some make the other fans look like morons.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's OK - we won't hold the Ronaldo lovefest or crazy Mexican Porto fans against you guys ;)

19. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    lol could come back to haunt him lol.

20. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    There isn't anything wrong with some harmless banter or Porto pride, whether they're from Monte Carlo, Monserrat, or Mexico City, for that matter. There is part of me that wishes Chelsea success in the EPL and in the CL (aslong as their road doesn't interfere with Porto's)...and I think most Portuguese would well agree.

21. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I could not get back on at half time :( kept getting the site busy page.

Well I can't say I am happy having lost, but I think that Arsenal winning 5-1 will have more affect on their moral then us loosing 2-1 will have on ours.

Hey they still have that dodgy keeper problem.

Thought Frank took a few wrong options today, but no one can be perfect all the time.

Even playing at less them full throttle we created loads of chances, Duff was outstanding despite being kicked off the park.

I hope Clan is right and Arsenal draw Barca as a result of last nights adventures. But how de people think it would go if Arsenal draw Porto?

Roll on Sunday. :)

22. hfmea

hfmea New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    hey muppet,stop dreaming..ok?

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

i'm just overworrying a little...try to understand

24. CrisRicHeldTiago

Sep 13, 2004
    Is it but a dream, or, yet again, a painful reality you wish to submerge in the recesses of your frail psyches. I'm getting carried away here a tad. If there is one team that I wouldn't underestimate in the CL...that would be FC Porto. Squeaking into the 16's, could be just the tonic for their suspect confidences.

25. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just harmless banter, better ignored. In any event, I think CrisRic has it right that given the extent to which Porto 03/04 has migrated to Chelsea 04/05 there is a lot of Portuguese support for the Blues. I am always happy to see them do well--especially against Man United.