12/5 Revs News: Revs select Danleigh Borman in Re-Entry Process

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then why not replace him? wouldn't that make sense? Obviously his play wasn't keeping him in there as a starter, more the lack of play from the bench players.....Maybe that imfamous list of 20 player SN gave to burns had a CB on it....Surely a better defender could have been found in MLS on a trade or signed from a USL team. Certainly it was plain to the untrained eye the Cochrane was a liability. Doesn't that speak volumes about the FO?

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if they tender offers to the likes of Phelan and Corchrane. That will tell us its business as usually

3. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone is selling Borman short. I for one think he was useful left back with speed and decent passing. I do remember seeing him loose his mark a few times (I want to say it was NY vs Portland) which wont be very welcome around here. Maybe Jay can solidify his defensive duties.

We needed a LB and got one. This doesn't really add any credit points to the Revs FO for me though. They need to make some bigger moves for that to happen. But this is a piece of the puzzle.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we're probably a month away from any "bigger" moves happening. Everyone's going to have to be patient.

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ... in Steve Nicol's estimation. Not investing more time in blooding Coria was a choice. Not playing Barnes in the middle more often with Soares was a choice.

Heck, letting go of Osei was a choice too.

Cochrane only played as much as he did because Steve Nicol made the choice to play him that much. Was it the best choice? We'll never know, but there were options.

6. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle, Portland, and arguably Vancouver can all be added to that list in their first seasons.

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Although Vancouver barely edged us out for the wooden spoon, I assure you, they will be a far better team than the Revs next season.

9. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely! They have plenty of rumor mill rumors on the mls website! Talent wise I believe they've got us beat right now. They will continue to build chemistry and add players in their big beautiful stadium.

You know, there was a time that i felt bad for the Union. Real Salt lake too. Then RSL crushed us in that game a couple years ago when Clint Mathis hit that volley to make it like 6-0 or something. That is when i stopped feeling bad.

Meanwhile the Union continue to add players and hang out in their beautiful stadium blasting German techno music and building a brand. Screw those guys.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were a far better team than we were last year. Having watched several of their games, they were arguably the most unlucky team in MLS.

11. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    They bought an "on paper" defense of Jay DeMerit and Joe Cannon and they both had what I would consider to be terrible years, DeMerit's obviously riddled with injury, but he seems done.

I seriously doubt we'll start the season with a forward the quality of Eric Hassli, that's for sure.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or even Camilo for that matter. Hell, I'd be pleasantly surprised if we could find a midfielder with the skill of Chiumiento. I think that Rennie will have them playing good soccer, Soehn just isn't a quality manager.

13. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody find it a little a funny that Heap's likely first new signing is an outside back who is known for being "out of position?"

I agree, they moved the ball around pretty well and where more fun to watch then a lot of MLS teams this season.

Yeah, I'd take most of these big name DP rumors with a large grain of salt.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding depth - ok, even if it was from the worst defense in the league. Toronto's trash is the Revs' treasure. Echoing many in this thread as long as it's depth then I'm fine with it.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Let's get some bricks before we get any more mortar.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bricks are kinda hard to get outside the transfer window.

18. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    We've seen a Stump play... not sure I'd like to watch some bricks.

1 person likes this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, we know that they didn't do a good job recruiting at the position. And, I suspect they thought Coria would be more consistent than he was.

Whose fault was it? That debate has gone on in plenty of threads.
    Coria wasn't a healthy scratch too many times. He had a few injuries and often seemed to be hobbling when he did play. I think a lot of Cochrane's starts came because Coria wasn't fully fit.

As for Barnes, he spent a lot of the season, either starting at outside back, or being the 1st bench option there. I've made the point that letting Sinovic go caused a cascade of problems for the whole defense, because we were left without a reliable left back when Domi couldn't play.

There's no denying that plenty of mistakes were made, but I remain convinced that Cochrane wasn't selected with the intention of him being a full-time starter. I think he was seen as an experience, versatile, backup/spot starter.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case we'd better hope someone better can challenge Borman for a starting spot.