12/4/04 Matchday 16: Chelsea FC v. Newcastle [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

At the end of the day lads, you were lucky. Simple as.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Since I know you're joking, I'll let this one go. ;)

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    To be fair, Keller did make several excellent saves. There really wasn't much he could have done about the first goal, and the second goal was very nice. He probably could have done better on Ronaldo's volley though.

4. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone know who was named Man of the Match?

5. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Super Frankie Lampard was, I believe.

6. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sweet:D lots of great performances today, but Frankie was top class (best game of the season for him?) he's like the english version of Xavi! ;)

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it had more to do with drogab coming on, a real threat compared to what guddy was doing, and then bringing on a second striker.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How much Brown Ale went into this post :D

9. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D Hate the stuff. Tea total me. :D

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, me too, especially after i have a hangover :p

Too much Green tea then?

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D ;)

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's funny, you and my best mate Jake are the only two Kezman fans I know. Soon as he came on I thought of you two. He called me up and said, "Today's the day...he's going to score." I laughed. Then he put one off the post and I laughed harder and posted the message to you. Soon as Duff won the penalty though I knew he was going to have Kezman take it. Once it went in I was laughing because I knew you were jumping up and down somewhere in DC. I liked the way he took the penalty too. Didn't try to bang it home, just nice and easy down the middle. Make no doubts about it, let the keeper jump to one side and just slot it straight ahead. If he had tried to go left or right and it was saved, hit the post, shanked it, etc his confidence would be SHOT. Good thing he finished it nicely.

13. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Only skimmed the thread but if it hasn't been said it should be pointed out that Carvalho played a very excellent game. He has been quite shakey in his past two outings but he was first class today.
    Also, there are a lot of Tiago distractors out there. With some good reason too. But from a fans perspective he is the type of player that is easy to get behind. He works like crazy and he's not afraid to rip a shot or try a creative pass (even though his passing skills leave something to be desired) once in a while. And he's a tough somabitch. I'm sure we could upgrade but this kid is really growing on me. I was skeptical of all three of our portuguese imports but I'm now quit proud to have these three on our team.

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hahahaha... I thought the SAME exact thing! I was initially overjoyed when I saw he was on the bench, then when he was subbed on... yeah, there was a fair amount of jumping up and down, followed by grumpy stares from the ManUre fans who were also at the bar. :D

You know, I was actually surprised Kezza got to take the penalty, I thought it would be Frankie. I wonder what the next ROI training session is going to be like... Roy Keane ironically breaking up a scuffle between Given and Duffer? ;)

15. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Best Chelsea team ever

Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland,
    Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland, Your worse than Sunderland. . . :D

Great game!

16. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D ;) Believe it.

17. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hey sorry to have missed you Mother Goose, where abouts were you?

I expect you were dreading another Spurs game in the first half. It is an old cliché about football being a game of two halves but this game changed at the half.

You must really have enjoyed the 2nd half. I was praying that Drogba would come on at Half time as Newcastle were out muscling us and the ref had be black and white specs on.

He made a great difference once on the park. Made the first goal scored a great 2nd.

In fact all 4 goals were great goals, Drogba's well placed header, Frank's control in chesting the ball down for the first. Frank's great pass and Drogba's control strength and cool finish for the 2nd.

The 3rd started with Bridge's excellent defensive play and controlled pass rather then hoof out of defence. Interplay by Duff and Robben and Robben's clinical finish.

As for the pen, what cheek from Kezman under pressure. As soon as the pen was awarded there were shouts of Kezman from the crowd, and Jose and the other Chelsea players all had the same idea, great team spirit and team management.

I am really looking forward to next week, the only downer is I do not have a ticket :( still I will be able to watch it on TV and join in the chat here

18. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No they only had the 1 section, only one club have taken both sections this year. That was Bolton, they had a very good and vocal following respect to them.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Corporates filled up then?

The 'in-thing' to see on a Saturday afternoon now that the Arsenal are in a dip of form :rolleyes:

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I said earlier in the thread that i'd really like too know just what exactly the lad did to lose his starting spot in the team, apart from getting injured.
    I feel he gives us so much more being a naturally left footed player.
    There was one moment in particular that Gallas had made it to the end line and tried to cross in with his left foot - horrible.

21. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes he was excellent all last season, and at the start of this season I am a big fan. However I think he came back from injury a bit early as Baba was also injured then and we had not tried Billy there yet.

He was decidedly shakey in those first couple of starts. He is just getting back to form really. I was not at all surprised he was not selected.

When he came on on Saturday he certainly impro0ved things and gave the wingers more room.

22. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me it didn't make any sense to bring in Drogba without bringing in Bridge at the same time. Gallas is a great player, but Drogba was brought in to get his head on crosses and we know Gallas can't do that from the left without cutting back.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent seen gallas cross well regardless off which foot he uses. with bridge its effortless

24. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, bit hectic at my end at the moment... cant read as much anymore. Maybe we can meet up again next time around. I was right at the corner by the south end and as luck would have it all the action seemed to happen at the other end. Newcastle had a lot of the ball in the first half and then all the goals came in at the second half which meant all the action were at the north end! Anyways, who cares it turned out to be a great afternoon :) But yeah, I was definitely thinking Not Again when half time came round :D How fast did the tickets for the Arse game go then and how many do they normally allocate for us?

Oh, I got some autographs when some of the players came out. Carvalho, Ferreira, Tiago, Terry and Duff were really nice and signed nearly everyones while Drogba, Kezman, Robben, Guddy, Cech and Parker just did a few. Can I just say... Paulo Ferreira is really adorable :D ooopsss better not let the hubby see that ;-)