12/26/05 Matchday 18: Chelsea FC v. Fulham FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Dec 20, 2005.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    uhhhh....perhaps, yet winning is more important than that and that goal could have been crucial.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    thats not what i mean yasik.. ive seen it in a few matches regarding terry..
    i want him starting for england in june, but he is a walking penalty with that approach im afraid.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Ah, i see. Well, i'm sure someone will mention it to him if they haven't already, but i don't think the rules are different in England than they are anywhere else. I don't think he is doing that on purpose, but yeah, you're right, he needs to be more careful.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Cracker of a game to watch for the crowd, Mourinho must be livid though.

Cech?
    Ah well, you could say these things happen, however, I'll say that should never happen at this level.

Huth?
    Didn't think he did anything wrong to be honest, in fact, for the time he was on, he did well.J Cole hacked down mcBride, rather needlessly too I might add, as I think Cech would have smothered any shot from that close range, can't blame him on that goal, the first being all Cech.

The officials were brutal, no other word for it, clear penalty calls at both ends blown.However, seeing as ours would have put us up 3-1, we'd have seen a totally different game and Fulham effort.

Our back line was curiously out of sorts, sloppy and downright cocky to an almost mortal level at times - really, stick yer bleeding big toe through the bloody thing and lash it away.

However, when we needed to go up a gear, we did, and thats why we're champions :)

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm watching this game right now. What a goal by Crespo. He seems to come through for you guys everytime you need him too.

And Joe Cole is great. He's just all over the place. The tackle on McBride was stupid but besides that he was great and has been great this whole season. The only thing wrong with him is that he seems to exagerate every time someone tackles him. One would think he was being shot.

6. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Joe Cole was the man of the game...Lampard and Robben seemed a little tired at times but not Cole...that guy was friggin everywhere...if there are stats as to who runs the most in a match I wouldnt be surprised if Cole #1 in the EPL... I was so mad when they didnt call the penalty on Terry, I mean it couldnt be any clearer, but I guess it was 1-1 in not-called penalty section...lots of weird handball decision in many games this gameday
    You could see that Chelsea is the better team but Fulham was still in it because of their hustle
    C'mon Chelsea drop some points--make it more interesting :D

7. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed it was. I was in the Shed End upper for the match, just above the away fans.

Fun times. :D

Now I'm off to Madame Tussaud's to see Jose's exhibit. :D

8. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robben disappeared in the second half. Seems another tempermental Dutchman. So much talent but something is missing. He should watch Joe Cole highlight tapes. My favorite English player by far at the moment.

McBride did account for many of the backlines' problems. He was very mobile and is really, really good at winning headballs against players that should dominate him. He should of had at least one more goal and seemed to find acres of space between Chelsea defenders that weren't marking anyone.

Drogba? A Sunday league player doesn't shoot with the outside of his right foot from that angle. Really atrocious for a supposedly top pro.

Good to see Crespo score. He is one of those old school forwards. Quiet most of the game, not running enough for most English coaches/fans, but score when he gets chances. Is there something else a forward is supposed to do?

9. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    in our system? yes.

10. MrZedd

MrZedd New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    John Terry in action:

[​IMG]

11. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, hopefully it isn't what Drogba does most of the time.

12. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    seems to be working just fine.

13. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

If you see him live he does loads of running, on tv the camera follows the ball so one does not see all the excellent work he does.

14. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    That is why we don't see him, he does not follow the ball. That ball has to find him.

15. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Charlton were denied a clear penalty yesterday, neither you nor Wenger saw that.

16. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Drogba has to score before I review my avatar. What is so hard in blasting the ball like Lampard and Cole do.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill take Drogba over Crespo anyday, in our system, or anyone else's. Good for Drogba about his work rate and all that, but I like to have some confidence in the strikers to score, with Drogba you just never know.

Crespo just scores goals, and he is scoring some very important ones.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    true, but if I see Drogba miss another scoring opportunity like the one he had yesterday, i'm not responsible for my actions.

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what my post should say, WOOPS

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I F'ed up what I was trying to say, Crespo Please<---that sums it up.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    yeah, me too. ;)

22. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He is making space for the ball to be played into both for himslef and for other people.

Did you spot the wonderful layoffs he made around the box on Monday, he is a class footballer.

23. razorman

razorman New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    London
    This is a thread I made after Drogba's excellent performance against Liverpool in our 4-1 win.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6302485

While it seemed unfair to question him after playing so well, I believe subsequent events have borne out my concerns. A 24 million pound striker NEEDS to convert more chances than he does.