12/22/02: Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sachin, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What utter drivel" is Jones' thoughts about concacafs 3.5 slots. He thinks they deserve only 2. "What utter drivel" is a good way to describe Grahame Jones' thoughts. Best he relocate to Europe and take his mechanical typewriter with him. He lives in the past and cannot adjust to change. He does not want to see soccer grow around the world. He wants to keep it forever in Europe and SA.

Uefa has enough slots. They just have to come up with a decent qualification process that will not eliminate The Netherlands for Slovenia.

Slots arithmetic is all about expanding soccer around the world, and about the politics of voting. Although CAF, AFC, Concacaf and Oceania have never won a WC, their votes rule the roost. It comes down to Conmebol only having 10 votes because they have the smallest membership roster.
    As a result, Uefa does not have any substantial outside support within fifa.

Uefa could concentrate on its Uefa Cup, but it will never approach the World Cup in stature.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i wonder if grahame jones knows what the internet is, let alone that his articles are on there for everyone to see and laugh at

3. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I like this one. Thankfully nothing that bad has happened to me. A couple weeks ago there were four torn ligaments, two torn tendons, and a broken ankle all in one game.

4. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    "Julio Grondona, president of the Argentine Football Assn. and, like Warner, a FIFA vice president, was oddly restrained, but he might have a hidden agenda.

"We have to accept it," Grondona said. "We can't be too disappointed. There are more important things in the world than half a place more or less at the World Cup."

This is outstanding work from Jones.....NOT!! Grahame seems to think it outrageous that a citizen of an economic wasteland like Argentina might actually be exhibiting some perspective on this matter, rather than plotting fiendishly behind the scene. Of course, it really makes no difference to Argentina, who is apt to qualify no matter the changes. It would have been far more instructive to use the quotes from one of the marginal COMEMBOL(sic?) organizations like Ecuador or Paraguay that will actually be impacted by this, but that could have been too much to ask.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    but c'mon, easybake

why should grahame care about those podunk countries?

his only concern is argentina, brazil, england, italy, germany and a couple of other eufa countries

everyone else doesn't belong at the world cup (well, maybe mexico)

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Do his columns even appear in print?

Sachin

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    damned if i know

8. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yes, they certainly do.

Just remember, somewhere in Southern California a puppy is doing his business on Grahame Jones's column. :)

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

those owners should be jailed

give that puppy something good to read

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

did the l.a. times fire grahame? but he keeps on coming in to work and doing these articles? but they don't tell him to leave because it's free labor?

i wonder if works in the basement or supply room

hmmm

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I seriously think the folks at the LA Times like him. I haven't been reading the LA Times regularly in the last couple years (generally a lousy paper) but when I was in the habit he got quite a bit of column space. Indeed, I thought he kept getting more and more space.

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    My favorite part of the article is where he talks about how the European Championships will be more important than the World Cup.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. So, I know the appropriate response is to ignore Sir Jones. I have been doing a great job of that for well over a year now. But this one, I simply must respond to. Just spent some time wandering through the LA Times website and couldn't find a decent email address. Am I really going to have to use the 'letters to the editor' form with their dinky text area?

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    that's what i used

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Europe's record on American soil? Not quite as stellar would be my guess.

Am I right: No European team has won a World Cup outside Europe?

Geez, Grahame. Do you live in LA or North London?