12/19/02: Gotten Uncie Phil a Christmas Card Yet?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Metros to trade Petke to DC for Pope in Four-Player Deal - Newark Star-Ledger

Sharks Drop Quakes - San Jose Business Journal

Donovan staying with Earthquakes Through 2004 - KTVU TV

DC to Deal Moreno, Pope and Williams to MetroStars - Washington Post

Donovan, McBride stay in MLS - L.A. Times

Quakes' Donovan glad to stay in San Jose - Oakland Tribune

Tanner will join New Team in Syracuse - Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

It's Official: Donovan Stays - San Jose Mercury News

Sharks pull Out of Quakes - San Jose Mercury News

Donovan gets His Wish -- stays with MLS - San Fransisco Chronicle

Santos wins Title and Style Points - Boston Globe

Metro plans to Extend Streak - North Jersey Herald News

These two stories aren't really soccer related at all. However, I thought both were interesting and that others might like to take a look. The first is simply about a possibly baseball team and resulting new stadium in D.C. RFK is mentioned, but United is not. The second is about the L.A. Kings, which are owned by AEG. Uncie Phil owns the stadium, but he's only funneling percentages of the ancillary revenue to the Kings. And then Leiweke is bitching about how the Kings can't float with the way things are going. Well, they can. Sure AEG will take a hit, but Uncie Phil won't. And AEG will be able to show the books (which they did) to make it look like a loss.

Good stuff, of course the L.A. writer doesnt seem to be taking it hook, line and sinker, as he had quotes from a Forbes analyst. Forbes had said that the Kings had a $7 million operating plus (not loss, like the Kings claim).

Just a good all around article in seeing how pro teams try and work things.

Council: D.C. will not Pay for Stadium - Washington Times

Leiweke: Kings Are on Thin Ice - L.A. Times

i'm sure if etch signs today, there will be some stories put up quick

-jim

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Geez...
    When did the LA Times start using 3 pop-up ads.

I thought 2 was annoying enough...

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i've gotten use to them popping up like mad... for several newspapers, i have to check them individually (google doesn't search through them)... so i'll just open them all up at the same time and do something else while they load (stupid dial up)

3 sounds a bit much, but what do you expect for wire rewrites?

:D

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Times - hockey article

I thought that the hockey article was a good example of what MLS should avoid as they expanded. Like the NHL, they are dependent to a certain extent on ticket revenue for the majority of revenue. With this you need to keep a handel on payrolls.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: LA Times - hockey article

wow, i think you kinda missed it then...

anschutz owns their arena, he owns aeg as well... aeg runs the kings

aeg's kings get a cut of parking and concessions and what not... aeg is run so that it have a loss operating the kings, yet anschutz will bring home the bacon

losses in the books can then be used in the manner they are using them... they show them to the nhl players association, saying "hey, we are hurting here... we gotta come up with a deal so we can pay you guys and break even"... this provides leverage in getting the kings and other nhl owners a better deal with the players and possibly a salary cap

it's simply good business practice, and the writer did a decent job of showing what aeg says and what someone who sees what they are doing says (the forbes analyst)

however, the writer didn't come out and attack the kings for this practice, he just left it out there for the reader to see (which i liked even more)... a great, quality piece in my opinion

i wanted to post it here so people would see what's done, maybe not now since we don't control all the stadiums, but what will be done (and is currently at ccs, arrowhead and gillette... next year at victoria street)

so in effect, this article glorified the need of each team being in a stadium the owner controls... which is what mls is pushing for (40% next year)

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i'm not sure what it exactly means... maybe all the networks are going to do a quick bit on it or something (or a lot of affiliates) or that it's just some quick blurb that they put online (more than likely)

but a crap load of tv stations across the nation just put up an ap blurb on the winners in soccer this year (us world cup run, brazil winning it, galaxy finally winning it, ucla's title and the courage title in wusa)

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=1055483

this one is from fox 21 in carolina, wect-tv

they aren't all fox... the other networks too

i'm saying this, because i don't think i've noted that before when i've done google searches for soccer... here is the search i did, and everything that it popped up (it will change with time, so you will have to go more pages back to find what i'm talking about as the day progresses

http://news.google.com/news?q=mls&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&start=20&sa=N&filter=0

i have pulled up some tv news stories on rochester's stadium deal... but those were local stations, nothing like this

ah well

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    17 articles today (not counting the 2 other sport ones i entered or the ap-tv affiliate one, but counting the article about the new zealand nats with mls-ers)

tons of ap articles out there as well

10. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    found this interesting...

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  14. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically says Hristo looks like he could be headed to DC as player/asst. coach (a la Warzycha last season) once trade with Metros is announced. United front office confirmed that Stoitchkov and Hudson met and that the move is a distinct possibility. Peter Wilt says the same thing.
    Also mentions Honduran Emil Martínez and Argentinian Rubén “Mago” Capria as rumored DCU targets.

15. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    On behalf of all the DC fans, may I say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAH!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!HAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

17. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

relax just a bit... reduced salary and also an assistant coach

yeah, he's only good for 90 minutes before he gets injured, but he can do that a couple times a year :D

but if his player salary is reduced enough, it's not that bad of a deal at all (he'll receive a coach's salary as well)

but this HASN'T happened yet, it's just a rumor, a possibility (strong at the moment, but still a rumor)

18. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It continues to amaze the amount of media time, TV money and national exposure the NHL gets despite MLS-like TV ratings and teams that lose money faster than the Metrostars.

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    northside, if you are referring to the times article... you too are missing the point... check my posts on the article in this very thread

i'll give you that their tv money is a bit out of whack, but they aren't doing as bad as you say... really not doing that bad

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    NHL has a larger national footprint. The key is more markets. When MLS has 16-20 teams there will be similar television coverage bigsoccer will shut down because there will be little left ot bitch about.

21. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Most fouled too? I Heart Chung.

"For the second time in his career, Chung was chosen as a member of the league’s elite “Best XI,” and for the third time represented his team in the annual All-Star game.

In a 5-2 thrashing of New England this season, Chung scored in the very first minute of play and then again 30 minutes later. He was named the Player of the Week for that effort, and for a similar two-goal show the following week. He led the Rapids in scoring this season, tallying double-digits in both goals (11) and assists (10) on a team that includes international stars like Colombian Carlos Valderrama and Scotsman John Spencer.

Chung may be known to opposing defenders for his rare combination of offensive skills, but there is one characteristic that truly sets him apart from his MLS counterparts: an unflappable demeanor. Chung was named the league’s Fair Play award winner for the second time this season (he also won the award in 1997 as a member of Kansas City Wizards). The award denotes the player who is the best sportsman on the pitch.

Chung started 32 regular-season and playoff matches for the Rapids, and did not receive one disciplinary sanction. Remarkably, for a player who has logged the second-most games and minutes in MLS history, Chung has received only four cautions (yellow cards) in seven complete seasons. Most amazing is his refusal to retaliate — he was the most-fouled player (456) in that same time span."

22. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i think everyone would agree how much they got paid is a bit out of whack... not that they get a tv deal of the nature they do

and northside was going with the notion that nhl teams were losing money bad... he failed to note what the article actually said

it was a ruse (sp?), anschutz owns the stadium... it's showing loss in one pocket and stuffing another