11/9/03 SJ v LA (r)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    In spite of the fact that I am a Galaxy fan, justice was indeed served this night. While the Galaxy fan part of me is sad that the Galaxy are done for the year, the soccer fan in me is happy because a team that can't win a single game on the road does not deserve to contend for MLS Cup. Furthermore, a team up by 4-0 goals aggregate by the 20th minute of the second leg who fails to ride it into the sunset doesn't deserve to go on either. The team and coaching staff should be ashamed of this season and their 2nd leg letdown.

Great heart by the Quakes; poor, sloppy, must I say it...yes I must...AYSO level tactics by the Galaxy. The entire team and Coach Sigi need to write the word "possession" on the board 500 times as punishment.

2. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    My question was genuine, and I didn't see the game, so your references are wasted on me. I can't remember having been impressed with his dribbling abilities, but obviously, I'll trust you on this one.

In bringing up his goal-scoring, though, there's an interesting contrast. Obviously, he's been something of a terror this year. However, in college, he didn't put up very impressive numbers until his senior year. Santa Clara's website isn't very informative (or I couldn't find the right stats), but this is what I've gleaned

--------GP---GS-----G---A
    1999:--10----7------3--1
    2000:--17---11-----4---3
    2001:--19---19-----3---2
    2002:----------------14--4

Those first three years, quite clearly, aren't the numbers of a guy who's going to be lighting up the league. I would imagine that he played defense, though I can't really tell. I think this is very possibly a case of a guy who was playing the wrong position (obviously). And, if even his college coach didn't realize this until he had played for three years, I don't think it's really fair to expect ODP to make this leap in judgment.

3. mdwheel

mdwheel New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    San Ramon, CA
    Just back from the game as well.
    It's great to be a Quake tonight.

I was ecstatic when I saw Walker in the starting lineup.
    Walker has some rough edges but every time he's been on the pitch for San Jose, he's caused problems for the other team.
    Bruce Arena was at the match, and if he has any sense, Walker will be in the nats pool when it congregates next.

What is he good at:
    1) faster game speed than Donovan (ok, this might be overdoing it...but it looks that way to me)
    2) wins most headers from goal kicks and actually plays them in useful directions
    3) very good turn with the ball
    4) looks up when he turns with the ball and usually plays a smart quick pass that puts defenders in bad situations
    5) very good combining in tight space
    6) makes smart runs off the ball (does not get called for offsides often)

things he needs to work at:
    1) get stronger. he has decent size, think of a bigger Damarcus Beasley or Donovan
    2) first touch...improve it and he'll be deadly
    3) middle range shot...almost all his goals have been knock ins

When he was drafted, I thought he was probably a camp body and would have trouble making the team.
    After seeing him play a few times, I am perplexed at how Yallop can keep him off the field (in the last few games, Faria got a lot of time up top).

The best comparison is to Donovan and Beasley.
    Their strengths and Jamil's strengths are speed of play and soccer smarts. He's a couple years older than those two and didn't have the advantage of their early experiences, but he's not that far behind them and hopefully will be thrown in to the mix to get to their level.

Fortunately, Frank did use him quite a bit as a sub this season, so he didn't rot on the bench.
    cheers,
    Mark

4. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Err, having been at the game, I would have to say that if the match was fixed (and I seriously doubt it was) it was more likely the result of someone paying off the Galaxy to throw the game rather than the ref & linesmen cheating for S.J. It honestly looked in the second half at times like L.A. was trying to give the game away. :eek:

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    What an incredible comeback!

This game was absolutely great to watch as it was a hard fought emotional game.

6. Coach Tom

Coach Tom Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Bradenton, Fl
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi out?

I like Sigi but suppose he's out now. You don't blow a 2-0 lead. But then again Galaxy's defense has been a problem all year.

7. Braveheart_NY

Braveheart_NY New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New York
    Is there a link where I can see the highlights. That game must have been real good. To bad I don't have MLS shootout. I can't believe I miss the best of the 3 games sunday and probably one of the best game in MLS so far. I saw the 2 earlier games, the chicago vs. DC on ESPN and the metros vs. revs on MSG ( I live in NY). I thought that game was over when I check the score as MLSnet.com when the galaxy was up 2-0 (4-0 on aggregate). Damn it. Share the enjoyment POST A LINK.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    An LA fan complaining about refs???? Now you know what it's like being a fan of one of the other 9 teams.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny quote from the l.a. times:

"You could tell from the get-go that it was going to go their way because some of the calls they were getting at the top of the box," said defender Tyrone Marshall, who was beaten by Faria on the series-winner. "I mean, any time you touch Landon and he goes down it's a foul. You can tell who they're protecting and who they want to move on."

First no Galaxy player who has Carlos Ruiz as a teammate should ever EVER complain about diving.

Who they want to move on? Home Depot Center is where the title game is, right? Yeah, sure they didn't want to the home team there to ensure a sellout. Riiight. Idiot.

And Tyrone, five, FIVE goals?!? That ain't the refs fault, bozo. That's your fault. And you let Faria score the game winner. FARIA! Of all people! And you blame the refs. Unbelievable.

HELP ME OUT HERE:
    Now, maybe I'm wrong here .... I was at the game but couldn't quite see everything. But Marshall had a yellow card, right? And after Landon scored (again, not the refs fault but bad defending) Marshall came up from behind after the goal was scored and elbowed Landon from behind. And Hartman got the yellow for it. Shouldn't Marshall have been ejected with his second yellow? Wasn't he still in the game for no other reason than a missed call by the ref? Is so, hypocrite. If not, my apologies. But he's still whining up the wrong tree. Don't give up five goals and then point the finger anywhere but at yourself.

Also, note on Jamal -- great change of pace player. Love the guy. but let's not get too excited.

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SJ goal #2 that looked SO offside was in fact, without a doubt, ON SIDE

The linesman in this league get so much criticism that I think that we all should stand up and applaud this call by the lineman, It would have been so easy to raise the flag. He was spot on.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not say it better myself.

The Galaxy have now lost the only thing that they held onto all season, the mistaken belief that they will finally get it right in the post season.

Now, they will have to really look themselves in the mirror and make the necessary changes.

I would start at the top and fire Sigi. That act alon would make his pets (Albright, Elliot, Vagenes) forced to actually deserve playing time with the next coach.

The galaxy has a lot of work to do.

Short -list for removal:
    Lalas
    Marshall
    Elliot
    Vagenas
    Albright
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Elliot
    Vagenas
    Allbright
    Elliot

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another problem with the Galaxy thiss year:

They have been a buch of whiny bitches. All game every game they scream at the referee and often they aren't even close to being correct. When the ref sees you screaming at him in an instance when you aren't even close to being correct, then he's going to ignore you when you actually have a real argument also.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marshall was horrible last night and obviously doesn't know how to look in the mirror.

The fouls at the top of the box were good calls, and I don't even think any were on Donovan, but on other Quakes, all who were attacking the goal with abandon.

And then Marshal gives up so much space to Faria that the player with the worst touch in the league is allowed to simply hammer it home in OT. Nice game, Tyrone, have fun with the Jamaican National Team.

Ha.

14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, that play was a piece of Donovan acting. After he scored, Donovan turned away from the goal and then changed directions, running towards the goal to get the ball. Marshall bumped him with his chest, which sent Donovan to the ground holding his head as if he'd been elbowed. It wasn't quite to the level of Rivaldo, but it was pretty bad.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartman's yellow was due to his foul on Walker just as Walker made the pass to Donovan. Play continued due to the advantage rule, and then the yellow was shown after the goal.

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Hartman was 10 yards outside his box, the last defender, and got none of the ball, he was a fortunate boy to still be on the field after that.

Marshall...Sigi can't say the signs werne't there all season that he couldn't get the job done. I remember specifically the 4th of July match where he was at fault for both New England goals.

He's been at fault for many this year and he's only played about half the time. He is much more effective on the outside left in a 4-4-2 then in the middle of Sigi's 3-5-2

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon certainly milked it but you can't allow players to take cheap shots at players celebrating goals. IMHO, Marshall went out of his way to bump Landon and that should not be tolerated.

Mike

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with your general point, but isn't that ODP's job? Though there may have been valid reasons for the miss, a miss it has been. I'm not saying Walker is Nats material necessarily, just that the kid has some talent and as was mentioned above, could have used a bit better training at a younger age.

Here's an interesting link:

http://www.infosportinc.com/2003menssoccerplayers.html

It's a combine run by Daryl Shore of the Fire. Walker apparently graded out ahead of the rest of the combine.

19. TG

TG New Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Aptos, CA
    I've been going to SJ games since '96 and without a doubt, this was by far the greatest game I've ever been to. The intensity on the field and in the stands was absolutely unbelievable. I can't wait for next week game; I would be shocked if the vast majority of last night's crowd doesn't return.
    Go Quakes!

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame on both of them. Shame on Donovan for the Steven Segal level acting and shame on Marshall for the cheap shot.

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right it wasn't ... because Landon actually got hit. I think he got hit enough to be knocked to the ground (espeically when you consider he had no idea the hit was coming ... play was dead, he was celebrating a goal). to be sure, Landon did milk it more than he should have. but bottom line it was still a cheap shot.

speaking of which .... cobi's a punk. ruiz is (ahem) injured and falls down, so the quakes play the ball out of bounds. cobi refuses to throw the ball back into the quakes, instead throws it to a teammate. classess.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the free kick on which Agoos scored was gotten because of a take-down on Donovan. But I think that was the only time they took him down.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I don't think I'd necessarily say shame on Donovan. He knew Marshall already had a yellow, here was a great opportunity to maybe get him that second yellow. No doubt it was a cheap shot (albeit not to the head; towel-snap anyone?) But hey, it's a player doing what it takes to help his team.

But it's funny, as we were watching and the camera goes back and Donovan is clutching his head, we were screaming for Marshall to be ejected. Then on the replay, we're like, "ahhh, come on, nice try, Landon. You're milking it."

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Definitely interesting. Most notably, Chris Goos, who played last year for A-league champion Charleston Battery (wresting a starting spot from Ryan Trout), scored even better than Walker.

25. Kurty015

Kurty015 New Member

Jun 19, 2003

you almost got it right, but not quite. landons goal was actually offsides, so it was the refs fault. if you'll look at the replay you see that the ball to walker is fine, he times his run well and he is in, but when the ball is played to walker, landon is offsides. now before all you idiots think im stupid hear me out. if walker would have scored then there is no missed call because ofcourse landon is not in the play but since landon does get the ball and gained an advantage on the play from beginning in an offsides position, he should be called offsides.

and real quick did you say elbow? unless marshall sprouted an elbow out of his chest there was no elbow involved, and both players initiated the contact, the difference is landon went down.

and moving on to players who shouldnt have finished the game. anyone catch mullan in the first game? i believe he was playing with a yellow but apparently it has changed from a warning to a license to foul because the referee is too incompetent and retarded to give him a red when he deserves it. in game one bo gets a yellow for a foul which looks amazingly similar to a foul committed by mullan after he was already carrying a yellow and he was allowed to stay in the game. so it goes both ways and dont complain.