11/6 Titanic

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Hey, I was losing U.S. Open Cup prediction contests before BigSoccer came into being. I love the tournament.

I'm just saying that a two-leg aggregate tournament might be better applied to something other than determining the league champion. If that would give us too many cups, then forget it and stick with the Open Cup.

2. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 11/6 Titanic

Kevin Smart? Nah, I'm an old head. Class of '92.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're purged, MLS still owns their contracts and everyone else in the league gets freebies.

4. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Well, I kinda figured you'd heard of it. ;)

ATEOTD, the league is investing considerably in the Open Cup. If they've got more marketing muscle to put behind a tournament, I say put it behind Open Cup - which helps connect the floating reef that is MLS to the mainland of American soccer participants.

If they've got more time for tournaments, Libertadores please. That'd please me and the SoBosnobs.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Sour Grapes Quakes

Well, he got the Quakes a Cup before your team got one, and in a 1/6 less the time.

Not all that shabby really.

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    How about a pre-Libertadores tournament with teams playing two-leg series?

One hypothetical:
    - No playoffs other than single-game MLS Cup. Champion to Libertadores and CONCACAF Champions Cup.
    - U.S. Open Cup champion (or runner-up, if someone does the double) also to CONCACAF Champions Cup.
    - A second Libertadores spot to the winner of an eight-team tournament (or four or six) with two-leg series. The MLS champion, already busy with two international Cups, is exempt.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should also be noted that the key to a 2-leg playoff series is that there is actually a 2nd leg. If the Gals can beat the Quakes 2-0 at HDC, I see no reason why the Quakes couldn't return the favor and bring this to overtime.

I think there is a fair chance that one of the 2-0 leading teams will not advance.

8. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that the Smurfs have only scored once in over a month and they will be playing against a team with one of the stingiest defences in the league this season (dispite their poor road record)

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet they're forcing the two teams to play the game anyway...

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on the Gals.

Poor record or not, they've conceded the fewest number of goals in the league. Unfortunately, their attack is crap, but Saturday night is gonna be all about the D.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me put it another way:

"Dude, all we need is one win and we have Prior and Wood going at Wrigley! We got it!"

Galaxy fans: count your chickens at your own peril.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Sour Grapes Quakes

There's one thing that the NFL does very well and that MLS should emulate. There's been way too many negative comments in the press from MLS Folks, players and coaches about a lot of different things. If people want to criticise the league in public then they should have to pay a fine. It's ridiculous that someone would bash the league in this way in the press.

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. You are absolutely right. An even better example (as I mentioned in another thread) is that LAG were up 2-0 in the first MLS Cup final and still found a way to lose to DCU.

Its just that the opportunity to irritate some Slum Jose fans is just too tempting to pass up, and brings out the worst in me. Combined with the incessant whinge from Yallop and Baby Jesus, about how unfair it is that they actually have to prove their merits on the field against an inferior team, my better judgment was overcome.

14. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: 11/6 Titanic

Then thank goodness the game isn't till Sunday. ;)

I'll be there for the game, but I agree that the Quakes are a longshot to advance. And given the way they were outplayed last weekend, it's embarrassing that they would even think about blaming the playoff format.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from the Boston Herald

Jeez

``I think I hadn't really fully realized how screwed up I was until I went in for reconstructive facial surgery and I couldn't walk out because I was on crutches,'' Twellman said. ``I didn't realize I had done such serious damage to my face. But when you are going into facial surgery with a cast on your foot, then you know something's wrong.''

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Los Angeles and CHICAGO as possibilties for housing Chivas, if Chicago is the city that Chivas picks were would they play NSF. The Bears don't want the FIRE playing in there stadium, you think that they would approve a 2nd soccer team I don't think so.

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: from the Boston Herald

If this does not show TT's commitment to the sport and team, i do not know what does...My complete admiration as a fan of another team...But the kid ought to realize that his physical integrity comes first: He is still young and will have more chances to play, so it'd be much better if he was more concerned about his physical welfare for once....

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually scored a goal after he broke the foot.

There is a point where you may be the next Eric Davis or Freddy Lynn or going WAY back Pete Reiser where you have a player with enormous talent giving TOO much effort and short circuiting their careers by running into walls and such trying to make plays. When Twellman got kicked in the face by the OTC while trying to score on a diving header, that came to mind.

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah there was a little bit of discussion on the Revs boards about this after he took it to the face. It was almost as if, watching him on a regular basis and seeing the way he played some people were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. So it wasn't a complete suprise when that happend. The question is, can he play a little more 'within himself,' and still be effective. I'd hope so.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How can you compare the NFL to MLS? One has stadias that cost $400 million to build, has a half dozen cities that are willing to spend taxpayers' $$ to build stadias and dole out tax breaks and have potential owners willing to fork over franchise fees that dwarf MLS fees.

The guy in Houston is spending close to $1 billion to bring his team to Reliant...

And the NFL absolutely calls the shots b/c it has that position of leverage. MLS does not.

AND, bear in mind that we are dealing in translations, which at times prove insufficient. When Vergara states that he "insists that he would LIKE to play in '04", ppl focus on "insist" and 2004, instead of "like"; and then they discard what comes next: "but we realize that 2005 is more likely."

The "problems" ppl have w/ Vergara mostly have to do w/ selective quotes from other posters.

21. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    My favorite translation was that Vergara wasn't too excited about playing in 2005 anuses.

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That might be the only venue worse than Dragon Stadium.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    One, Chivas will be in San Diego.

Two, the Bears do want the Fire in SF. It's only more revenue for them and stadium management.