11/3 Coverage Hangover

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    It is still hope for BURNS at the CB if the women game with Mexico could draw over 27000.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Borchers played four years for the DU soccer team. He started all 76 games for the Pioneers last season and was player of the year in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation."

Wow. Who says college soccer doesn't play enough games to develop players?

Good article in spite of that typo (Or revelation of major rules violations by DU's soccer program).

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    just a bump for the tim howard article

it's a good one

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    And a worthy bump it was.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another bump for the Howard article. It's a good read and I think he provides a good example.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. The more I know about Tim Howard, the prouder I am to be an MLS fan and a national team fan.

I met Tim Howard briefly last year. After a few beers during the July 4th Burn v Metros game in 2002, me and a friend hung out by the Metros team bus, something I don't usually do. No other fans were around, they were all elsewhere with Clint and his mohawk.

Tim Howard walked by and we said "good game" and "tough luck" (this was when the Burn actually won a few games) and "too bad you didn't make the World Cup team". He was very gracious and polite, especially since his team had just lost 2-0. He talked with us for 4 or 5 minutes, shook our hands and then got on the team bus.

He could have pulled a Tab Ramos and walked by and not responded. But he didn't.

No doubt a lot of the good things that have happened with Tim Howard is because of the kind of person he is.

p.s. Petke was pretty cool too that day.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanx for the bump. Great story.

8. PercyB2362

PercyB2362 New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    A good article, indeed. Except for the tidbit with regards to the Google search hits. Completely flawed as a means of trying to support one's opinions/assertions regarding popularity as he purported to do.
    My own Google search yielded these results:

"Manchester United" = 629k hits; while
    "New York Yankees" = 604k hits, and
    "NY Yankees" = 221k hits; giving
    Yankees a total of: 825k hits.

Obviously, this doesn't support his assertions, one way or the other, since names can be mutated in a number of ways. Official WWW site hits may be of some use as a measurement; forget search hits.