11/22: P***Off: Portland vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Nov 10, 2020.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Game: Portland Timbers vs FC Dallas
    Date: Sunday, November 22nd
    Time: 9:00 pm [DFW] | 7:00 pm [Local] | 03:00 [Universal]
    Location: Providence Park, Portland, Oregon, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Rain; H 50, L 40 (probably)
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Live TV: ESPN [USA] | ESPN Deportes [USA] | TSA [Canada] | TVA Sports [Canada]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | 1270 AM [Spanish]

Might as well get a head start on this with another boring international break upon us.

I'll go ahead and tell you how this goes. We'll go down 2 or 3 goals. Have a good run of form for a decent chunk of the match and score a goal or 2. Then Portland will seal the win late. You're welcome.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've all seen this movie before. Remember when they broke the mold a few years ago and won on the road in LA? Anyone think this is the version of this team in this year that will do it in the PNW?

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2019: A surprisingly close match in Seattle after a poor start and really should've won it if Acosta wasn't such a selfish dipshit.

2018: Lost to Portland at home and looked horrible

2017: N/A

2016: Our team that had won the double but lost our little unicorn to injury got railed in Seattle after Pareja inexplicably changed the formation at the last minute. A decent match at home couldn't erase the deficit from leg 1.

2015: Beat Seattle over 2 legs (and PKs) in a thrilling series. Lost to Portland over 2 legs because we inexplicably gave up a 3rd goal in stoppage time in the 1st leg and couldn't overcome the deficit at home. Hands down the best home playoff support I've seen watching this team for 25 years.

2014: Lost to Seattle over 2 legs thanks to the away goals rule.

2013 & 2012: N/A

2011: Lost to RBNY in a play in game that was pretty awful.

2010: Beat RSL over 2 legs. Had arguably our finest game ever as a club in LA beating that "super team" on their own patch and it wasn't even close. Somehow lost to a Colorado team that barely squeaked into the playoffs (on the Eastern Conference side) in the final on a cold night in Toronto; thanks to an own goal that still haunts me to this day.

2009 & 2008: N/A

2007: Our so-so team surprisingly beat Houston at home and took an early lead away before shitting the bed thanks partly to an Arturo Alvarez knee to Brad Davis' nuts (and the red card that resulted).

2006: Somehow lost to Colorado over 2 legs after winning in Denver but having Gbandi sent off early in leg 2. Lost in PKs, Sala punched a Rapids spare.

2005: Somehow lost to Colorado over 2 legs after a 0-0 draw in Denver and Colorado going down a man in the 2nd leg. Lost in PKs.

2004 & 2003: N/A

2002: Somehow lost to Colorado (are we seeing a pattern yet) over 3 games after smacking them around in game 1 and narrowly losing game 2.

2001: Woof. Chicago was better than us.

2000: Let Clint Mathis and Valencia run all over us across 2 games.

1999: A magical game 3 win vanquished the hated Chicago Fire before a tough 3 game series loss to the Galaxy.

1998: Woof. LA embarrassed us in game 1 and came from behind to finish us in game 2.

1997: Beat the heavily favored Galaxy after 2 games (including a major beatdown at the Cotton Bowl). Somehow lost to Colorado after Sutter got food poisoning.

1996: Lost to KC over 3 games and an old school MLS shootout sealed our fate at the Cotton Bowl.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The way this season is (thanks to COVID) and the fact that we haven't played Portland yet make anything possible but our away form and lack of offensive cohesiveness shouldn't give anyone the warm and fuzzies. The only silver-lining would be our performances against "good" teams this season (KC, Columbus, Orlando).

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped this because of the completeness your recounting of the misery. (But you did forget that FCD beat the paste-eaters of Cascadia, the Whitecaps, in the play-in game before they played Seattle.)

cowtown repped this.
  6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah yes, what was I thinking?

7. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    love this list... may I share it elsewhere?

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Absolutely. Glad I could be of service.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only lose to the US PNW teams.

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, at the time that was "new school." I still like the live ball shootout idea better than the PK shootout. The details of the execution could use some work, though.

burning247 repped this.
  11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm all 3rd Degree Podcast famous now. I can die happy...

Hitman and ElJefe repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. Too many memories of MLS and high school shootouts on bad artificial turf with football lines. Only really good memory is of Hugo Sanchez in his first attempt watching while the opposing keeper edged out to cut down angles and he puled the ball back slightly lifted it slight so it bounced and lofted a shot over the keeper into the net. I remembered thinking why has no one else done that? Answer was no one else was good enough.

13. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dreading our likely annual disappointment. But optimistic!
    Sure miss a healthy Pomykal in the mix right about now.

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Man, that old turf would shred the legs.

I have a lot of good memories of Alain Sutter too.

On that note, congrats to FCD...it looks like you all were cautiously optimistic here. :ROFLMAO:

Pegasus and Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    what an odd game. winning is fun, but I don't like or understand Luchi's work last night. i suppose it's all a reflection of how crappy they'd been on the road all season, much less historically at PDX, but that all felt very "hope and a prayer".

you do what you have to to win games, at all costs, OTOH, such poor performances from Ricarte, Jesus and even Jara continue to make you wonder if it's the players or how they're are being used.

maybe it should be admirable to utilize such an odd selection as he did last night. much of this is the lack of context we're normally provided by Buzz being able to attend practice and talk to players and staff. Why Barrios didn't start, what about that surprising sub of Tuamasi, pulling an attack minding Jesus for a more defensive-minded Tessman and the odd resulting formation. It all just seemed he was seriously working to get to PK's up until PDX scored and then it was ok to go "all attack".

Sometimes I think the attack malaise his team suffers is self-inflicted by Luchi. That team can "get after it" when it wants to, but is so scared of its defensive shadow, it just rarely wants to. Dallas had one SOG in the 1st, three in the 2nd. of those three, two came at 89th and 92 minutes by Pepi. that's it. Their next SOG was a Jara header at 105.

i don't get it, but it worked and on to the next round they go.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The tagline of the Luchi era (except sub "round" for "game" most of the time).

Had a rough morning with an over-30 championship game that went to 11 rounds of PKs (and we lost), so I had a hard time staying awake for large parts of this. Slept through most of the 2nd half and woke up just in time to see Pepi tie it up. Knocked out again in OT and woke up when we were already 2 rounds of PKs in. Just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and one of our players to slam the post or something super FCD playoff-like but alas, we won. I leapt off the couch when Jimmy saved. Had a hard time going to sleep after that, ironically.

Let's go LAFC...

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that because FCD has so much trouble with teams that stay back and counter like Nashville this was actually a good plan on the road at a crowd less Portland. It was ugly but so what? last year we played sexy at Seattle and lost. I felt if they went all out and got countered again it would show that Luchi is a naive coach. He showed a pragmatic Pareja like style last night and we move on. If they go to Seattle it will probably more of the same but with FCD killer Jordan Morris I doubt it will work. If Valeri was a year younger that last shot would have been a 1/2 inch to the left and gone in. Such is playoff luck.

18. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, such a hard game to watch. I was also surprised by the weird lineup selection on this one. Start Nelson and push HoHead up, benching Barrios? What was the goal there, to get HoHead further forward, rest Barrios after two weeks of rest, or get Nelson onto the field (right, none of those make a ton of sense really)? That swipe of the brush appeared to disconnect everything else. At one point I wondered if the low-block/bunker was on purpose or a result of so much confusion. Minute 55 to 80 was so hard to watch, it just felt like we were getting beat everywhere in the box and goal was coming at any second.

While I'll bash the first 80 minutes, what a masterful stroke of subbing by Luchi. Tessman changed the match. Pepi had been inches away from a goal the last three appearances and he finally got back over the hump. Twumassi even looked good, boardering on great despite not really knowing where he was playing.

• I thought Ricaurtte had his worst match. It just looked like he was forcing everything. High motor/effort, just not a good night for him.
    • Jara's first touch sucked, which is not normal. He failed to get that great hold up play working.
    • HoHead was useless until he started pinching in more centrally.
    • The back four as a group was real, real good, considering the multitude of slashing, dynamic runs PDX threw at them in the box.
    • Reynolds might have been all we had going forward until Tessman and Pepi came in, save for Picault from time to time.
    • Mauer had the best game I've seen him play. His only weakness (snap reaction saves) was exposed on the goal, and he damn near had that one too.
    • Pepi was an awesome spark, what a goal. Well deserved. I'm going to have to go dark on social media for a while now cause the internet will never let Luchi start anyone over Pepi (unless it's Kobra) from here on out.
    • Twumassi really surprised me, great sub from the young man.
    • Tessman is a man-child in the center of the park. The skill, size, and swagger is awesome!

19. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man of the match was Jimmy Maurer--and that's a problem. The bend-but-don't-break strategy worked for 80 minutes.

Poor performances by Ricaurte and Ferreira. Hollingshead and Reynolds have also played a lot better. I was surprised Jara lasted the entire 120 minutes; not much out of him, either.

In addition to the goal, Pepi preceded it with a great header that required a nice save. He came to play. Tessman was an improvement, but it looked to me like he failed to track Villafana on the goal.

The kicks from the spot were a whole 'nother story. I don't recall Clark getting anywhere near more than one of the eight converted. Clinical.

All in all, it was ugly, but it was the result needed to advance. We live to fight another day...

20. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably the best set of PKs I've ever seen, including MLS, World Cup, English FA Cup, Euros, UEFA CL.
    I had pretty much the same observations as everyone else here.
    On their goal, it looked to me like Hohead let Villafana go, possibly expecting Tessman to pick him up, which he didn't.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Think everyone universally across the board doesn't understand how Ferreira keeps starting yet I don't see Luchi ever dropping him. Not that anyone looks particularly good, especially on the road. Really hope LAFC finds some way to win. I want to see us dominate a game again.

22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle/LAFC looks like a very interesting game and whatnot, but a 9:30 broadcast start time is a big disincentive for staying awake to watch it. The bourbon I drank is another one.