11/20/04 Matchday 14: Chelsea FC v. Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And when you think about how close we were to losing. I thought for SURE Gary Speed was going to bury that header. Luckily it was right at Cech.

After Bolton pulled Jay-Jay, I thought they were done.

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hmm, hmm...not to pat myself on the back but...

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As much as I could see a draw in this game, I am still ********ING pissed. Fvck. I thought Lamps played OUTSTANDING as did, Robben and Duffer and Terry. I thought Carvalho, Tiago (I know he scored but he's ********), and Eidur should have been pulled at half.

Fvck, we should be 4pts up on Arsenal. Dammit, when I saw that result when I woke up I was ecstatic. I thought for sure we the late start, Chelsea seeing Arsenal draw, that we would win this game. We should have pounded that game today. To make matters worse I had to watch the game, see Jaidi's goal in the 87th min, then my fiance drug me to church at 6pm Saturday night so we wouldn't have to go on Sunday. Needless to say instead of praying I was cursing Eidur in my head.

Sorry not to put all my posts into one. My head is racing with wine from dinner and anger at a draw at home to Bolton.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, if a 2-2 draw, at home to a top 6 team, is the worst result we get between now and the end of the season, i'll take it ;)

Onwards and upwards lads.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Clan, you are like my blue Yoda...

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I can't understand why Tiago is playing so much. He has scored, but he really hasn't contributed anything to our attacks on a consistent basis. I really think Parker would be better in that position. Also, why the f*#k is Gallas still playing left full? He only hit in one good cross yesterday, and there were multiple times when he had targets in the box but couldn't find them because he had to pull the ball on his right foot. Even though Billy is a world-class defender, we really need a left-footed player in that position. If Bridge is healthy, he's the man, but when he goes down I'd rather see Baba on the left and Gallas in the middle, replacing Carvalho, who played like crap yesterday anyhow.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't want to ever see Baba in a Chelsea kit again...

I thought Gallas was ok yesterday. Did you see Diouf make ANY sort of run in the second half when he move to the left? He was all over the first half on the right, which is surprising since I think Ferreira is one of the top two RB's in the EPL. What Willie gives up in attacking he move than makes up for in defending and with the way this team is attacking now, I'd rather him defend than attack. I think Jose thinks the same thing, you didn't really see Ferreira sending in crosses like he normally does yesterday either. That could have been because Eidur was never in the box but...

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You mean except for the free kick that Diouf won which led to the first goal?

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Or Carvalho nearly scoring an own goal early on. :)

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Or how lucky Bolton was that Eidur's shot in the 2nd half hits the crossbar and does't go in.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great goal by Duff. Sheer class. I really love watching him play. This match was one of the best I have seen all season in the EPL. I know Chelsea is very very good, but nice to see Bolton having a good season. Keeps the league great.

I know I will get ripped from here to Iceland, but congrats on your CL success. Hey, when I see great play, I must acknowledge it because that is what I would other supporters to do toward my clubs.

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought we dominated the match, duff and lamps had great games. we made two stupid errors in giving away two meaningless free kicks(teryy and gallas) and eidur misses another goal he should have put away.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i gotta ask why all the negative criticisms of tiago? i mean did you really say you wanted parker on instead because tiago doesnt contribute enough on offense? whats scott parker going to do? and please dont tell me smertin has played so well to be in there all the time, i hope no one confuses work rate with form. babayaro? hes terrible. carvalho(the who was named best defender in europe for a reason) was not one of the two defenders who gave away pointless free kicks that resulted in goals. and why not criticize Eidur as well? two games in a row he misses goals that a striker should always put away.

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Bolton is tough, two last gasp equalisers, one vs Utd and one vs Chelsea, and one that was not so last gasp in the 85th vs Arsenal. They also beat Liverpool, then lose to WBA at the Hawthorns and to Villa at home.

needless to say I was extremly please to see this game end in a draw and I'm nervous as hell for when Arsenal and Chelsea line up against each other.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    AS WELL AS YOU SHOULD.

16. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    He's scored but he hasn't contributed to your attacks? Isn't that an oxy'you'moron. He's scored 3 or 4 goals early on as a def mid in his freshman year. Not bad I'd say! As for Smertin and Parker...Smertin has no pace in his feet or his shot, and Parker works hard but not as smart as Tiago.

Yeah that Carvalho...he's the team's achilles heel. Carvalho is as steay as they come...even though I like Gallas. Chelsea still have the least goals against in the EPL...Carvalho has had a hand in that too.

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Easy. These are our boards.

The problem with Tiago is that he's not a particularly inventive player. There's little he does poorly, but not too much that he does well. Yes, he has scored several nice goals (3 now), but he's missed a couple pretty badly. On his best, he chimes in a bit. On his worst, he's invisible. I think that's the general complaint; he's not a difference maker. I prefer Smertin, who works harder on defense, and who's passing is a bit crisper, imho. Tiago is an excellent option off the bench, however, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a midfield of Tiago, Parker and Geremi in the CL, with Cole up top.

Carvalho has been good for us thus far, although I wish he'd get set pieces on target.