11/19/04: Sporks

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by jmeissen0, Nov 19, 2004.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Corrected link for Boston Herald piece...
    http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/view.bg?articleid=54812

No big deal, I suppose, but Joe Franchino lies about his age: "I just want to play again. I'm 27 and I still have a lot to offer."

I was surprised he was that young, so I looked it up; he turned 28 in August.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I really appreciate the depth at which the number of articles on soccer, especially from MLS beat writers across the US has grown over the years. However, the bredth and intensity of coverage still is maddening sometimes. At the end of this article there's a throwaway line about Noonan training in londong and Dempsey training with PSV. One line, one freaking little line for the bosth of those two guys. I just wish we were at a point where the coverage would be equivalent to the importance of the news. Something like that should be a huge deal.

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has never been to New York, I have to admit that I am enjoying Steve Cangialosi's work more and more (we get to hear him on ESPN International over here, doing PbP on Dutch league games and more).

Great article. A real gem.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Really? I had no clue about that. I know Joe Tolleson who works in the NY sports market has called several soccer games on ESPN International.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're both on ESPN Int'l's roster of PbP personalities this season.

Regardless, I'm enjoying Cangialosi's work more and more, and even as smooth and as polished as Tolleson is in his delivery, I'm preferring Cangialosi's work.