11/17: USA vs Jamaica WCQ post-match thread {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by babytiger2001, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back from the trip to Columbus, and have to admit that I was a bit shocked at some of the game analysis. Some clearly saw a different game than I did, and from my cold, wet seat, here's what I saw....

- Albright worked his tail off, and was clearly the MOTM for the US. They went at him, time after time, and got nothing. He showed good speed, excellent form, used his teammates well, and owned his side. I was truly impressed and he deserves another shot at the national team for his work in this game.

- Johnson is not ready to be the creative forward he'd like to think he is. He's best being fed the ball in the open, using his speed to make his shot. He's a little too confident of his on the ball skills, which aren't there - yet.

- McBride was back. That's the Brian I know and love - doing the dirty work up front, forcing the play, drawing defenders in, playing good defense from his position, etc... We need him to play like this if we're going to be a factor in Germany, and he looked really comfortable pairing with Johnson.

- Corrales looked lost at times - literally. I'm not sure if he didn't understand his role or assignments, but he looked out of place and had a very rough game.

- Landon needs to be a bit more selfish. Passed on several opportunities to shoot or push the ball in an attempt to be "captainly." It's OK, Landon, you can be captain and be a scorer.

- Ralston had a nice little game - forcing the play from his position, nice feeds, disrupting passes, etc... He's not World Cup, but with all those Gold Cup games next year, he can be very helpful to the team.

- Keller - solid game. Made no mistakes, made his plays, calmly did his job.

- Gibbs and Gooch - both not quite ready, but they need to play to get there. They're developing, and we'll need to see how far they can come by '06, but we are stunningly deep in the back. A Sanneh is going to have a hard time making the WC team, as there is great depth and some solid young talent coming along. Gooch needs to learn to shut his mouth - Canadian refs speak English unlike Belgian refs.

- Spector - made some solid defensive plays, made some beautiful offensive moves, and showed incredible poise in executing a switch with Gibbs. Believe the hype.

- Dempsey - I saw him several times in MLS this year, and I love this kid. A real garbage-y little player, dirty uniform, nose for the ball, makes things happen without demonstrating any stunning skill. He deserves some time with the team in '05.

Jamaica tried to push, but couldn't break through a very solid, and young, US defense. Sure we could've scored a few more times, but the conditions were a bit rough, and Ricketts played extremely well for Jamaica. Overall, a 1-1 draw against a team desperate for a win, especially when we rolled out a very young team, is a damn fine performance.

As a spectator, it was also a fun game to watch - lots of opportunities and tension. With all the rain, everybody there was a soccer fan, and that also made it a great experience.

I walked away feeling good about what's coming in '05, wanting to see Reyna and John O'Brien back before '06 as they're needed, and most importantly, I saw the seeds of our 2010 World Cup team, and that, my friends, is shaping up to be a damn fine squad.

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    There is something that you are missing over here: The fact this game will show Bruce that there are some people that do not have any bussines on the USA national soccer team, we I hope Bruce also realize that this kind of results do not transpire a good image for soccer as a sport among new fans...Bruce Arena have one of the toughtest jobs on the planet, train and coordinate a team, reach qualification to the world cup, but also he need to attrack new fans into the sport and this 1-1 does not just cut it ....

About the new guys: ...Dempsey, Spector a solid 10 ... Few of the others need a lot of work.....

3. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Bruce is worried about attracting fans, I'd like to see him fired. That's not his job - his job is to win games and get us to Germany, and correct me if I'm wrong, but taking Jamaica out would seem to be a helpful step on that road. Tossing an Adu out there might attract fans, but he isn't ready. I'm glad Bruce has the clout to push back and keep the focus on the game.

Keep in mind that we have the Gold Cup in the US next year, so we'll need a deeper pool for the national team. There will be playing time to be had for the 2, 3, and 4 deep on the American depth chart, and games like this are helpful in determining those slots.

Is Johnson now on the first team?! Who is he behind if he's not?! Are Gibbs and Gooch ahead of Frankie and Sanneh?! Can Ralston help on the Gold Cup teams?! Is Spector ready to contribute?! Can Corrales help this team?! Finding answers, even if the answer is no, is what we need, and games like this are ideal for that.

A 1-1 draw against a desperate Jamaica is a damn fine result, and if we have to win 5-0 to bring these new fans to the game, then screw 'em..........there's real soccer to be played.

4. jordanz

jordanz New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    What in the world is Corrales doing on the nat team. Having watched him each week with SJ I don't understand why doesn't have a worse reputation.

5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players and coaches love him (you hear it week in and week out on televised Quakes games). I think people are just too hard on him.

I believe he's at his best when playing defensive mid, but I don't believe he's that answer for the NATS.

6. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Tune in February 9th, same Nat time, same Nat channel to find out!!!

7. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Actually, I think he was pointing out an attacker for someone to mark... He very obviously tried to pull his arm back before the ball hit it... I thought he had a pretty respectable game overall... Even though the first yellow was for an actual foul, it was harsh, and the second was (I think) totally undeserved... The only important mistake he made was expecting a call when he got hit on the sidelines...

Corrales, on the other hand, was terrible... Forget the penalty. He was terrible.
    I was oddly giddy about it however, because after 30 minutes of watching that disaster in action, I KNEW Clint Dempsey would get some good minutes... But that's just me... :D

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

"red and black... just like the nazis"

i'm sorry... you don't ********ing do that

9. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... here are my thoughts...

This game set up well for the U.S. as it allowed us to play some fringe players and youngsters against a team that was going to come out hard (a different game than what everyone would've predicted 3 months ago since everyone would've assumed both of these teams would have advanced before this game...)... but i digress...

The U.S. essentially did their job... they matched and surpassed Jamaica's intensity at the onset and dominated play for the first 25 minutes... the biggest key to the team was the pressure on Jamaica's technically weak back four... whenever any one of Jamaica's back four received the ball, McBride, Johnson, and Donovan went directly at them forcing them to hit long, hopeful balls to their front-runners who were physically overmatched by Sanneh and Onyenu... this tactical approach eliminated Williams and Whitmore from the game early on... also, the two central backs had a nightmare staying with McBride and Johnson... they were trying to match up zonally but would get caught on criss-crossing runs (which led to Johnson's first chance and, later, his goal)... they only improved when #3 went out to injury and Marshall went to the back to settle the game and match up man-to-man... also important early on was Mastroeni's handling of the ball... Corrales was non-existent, but Pablo was able to help maintain possession and kept the ball moving... unfortunately, when #17 for Jamaica was inserted, Pabs and Corrales pulled themselves back and we no longer had the ball... with those two in a deeper position, the pressure on their backs became less fruitful since Williams and Whitmore would simply come back a little further to get the ball (on the ground)... the U.S. also did the other thing that they needed to do in this game: DON'T GET HURT and DON'T GET TOSSED (Onyenu really doesn't matter in the long run)... players like Donovan, Johnson, and McBride needed to play to to play to make the game meaningful for the rest of the players... but the biggest thing they needed to do was not get hurt...

A few notes on the players:

Keller: Had nothing to do all game long... made a nice save in the second half where he protected his near post...

Albright: i was disappointed that we were still trying him out at right back... but he played rather well... wasn't really beat, played intelligently, and held up physically... not bad...

Onyenu: kept it simple in his first start... he got risky once and was badly beaten on his ill-advised attempt at winning the ball against Fuller (which led to the PK)... distribution was horrific... his imposing physical presence will keep him in the mix...

Sanneh: kept things together for the most part back there... he also made an ill-advised attempt to win a ball at the top of the box in the 2nd half which almost cost us... he's not really World Cup caliber any longer but was OK for this game...

Gibbs: over-freagin-rated... i just don't see it yet with this guy... physically weak, extremely left footed which limits his technical ability, and tactically poor (i guess experience will help in this regard)... i hope i'm wrong... but i haven't seen anything from Gibbs (not just from this game) that inspires any sort of confidence...

Corrales: poor but who cares... he won't be in the mix...

Mastroeni: strong opening 25 minutes then faded... i think he may have been covering too much for Corrales... kept himself in the mix... for some reason, he seems like a player who steps up against the tough competition... i would be comfortable with him against the big boys...

Donovan: he did what he was supposed to do... helped keep the ball... helped pressure the backs... and DIDN't GET HURT... that was probably his biggest job last night... played a smart, if uninspiring, game

Ralston: gritty performance... played some nice balls into the checking forwards and helped keep control of that side of the field... he will never set the world ablaze and will never set foot on the field in an important game... but he is a player for whom we should all root...

McBride: he's a warrior and still the best player at his position for the U.S.... this guy is a winner, a leader, and an inspiration to his teammates... fantastic game...

Johnson: a star in the making... athletically gifted and the right mental approach to his position... he's confident and playing with better players has given him a glimpse into what he can become... as he continues to gain experience, confidence, awareness, and as his fitness improves, he will be a monster... very exciting...

Dempsey: another great player... you could see his nerves early... but you could also see how he picked up the pace of the game and began to assert himself as he went along... enjoy this guy before he leaves for Europe...

Spector: would've loved to see more of him instead on Gibbs... seems quietly confident and composed... did well in the brief spell that he was in...

This game was about as it should've been for the U.S.... i personally didn't see the urgency in Jamaica that i thought i would see...