11/15 Hammer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Armas has the hammer" is just a weak reference to "Arm & Hammer" consumer products. Armas' shot was certainly not a laser, but it did the job.

3. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Thanks for the tip.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this could serve as preview to SJ- KC
    Conrad's Corner
    MLS semifinal showdown will be poetry in motion
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/soccer/11/12/conrads.corner/index.html
    Loney on LA- SJ
    http://www.cybersoccernews.com/columnists/loney/031114loney.shtml
    Snippet from yesterday on Twellman
    http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2003/11/14/approaching_hostile_territory/
    Twellman, who scored 15 goals in 22 games this season, is scheduled to undergo surgery next week to insert a screw to repair the stress fracture in his left foot. The foot will then be in a cast until mid-Janary, likely negating Twellman's chance to participate in the US national team training camp that month.
    Article about Chelski owner's dubious motives
    Russian roulette
    Where does Chelsea's billionaire sugar daddy go from here?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/soccer/11/12/hamilton.ws/index.html

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to downplay the great decision made by the Burn front office, but from a quote from one of the Dallas papers, in only cost 18K to get out of the Dragon Stadium deal...Wonder how much it cost to renegotiate with the Cotton Bowl, since i figure officials there would have wanted to take advantage of the situation

6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I think both sides had some leverage here. Cotton bowl knew that the Burn wanted out of Southlake, but the Burn knew that the Cotton Bowl had no other potential tenants.

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Is it just me or do the bigsoccer logins no longer work on the Chicago Tribune and the LA Times? I get some message about needing to activate the account.

Sachin

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This was an interesting little blur in the Washington Times.

The grapevine — Big changes are afoot in California. Sources say Sigi Schmid could be out as the Los Angeles Galaxy coach and replaced by former German superstar Jurgen Klinsmann. Meanwhile, coach Frank Yallop will leave the San Jose Earthquakes and take over Canada's national team. Yallop will be replaced by his assistant Dominic Kinnear.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's odd, they're working for me, with both of those papers' sites.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, indeed, Sandon.

If Yallop leaves San Jose (and that does seem to be quite iffy, indeed, he's doing a great job of keeping matters under wraps there), Kinnear stepping in would be a logical replacement. Not only would that be a promotion from within, but without getting into too many details, Dom knows the area very, very well, and all the infrastructure that goes with it.

But the Klinsmann-for-Sigi move in L.A. seems like something completely out of left field. Not so much in the reporting by the Washington Times, but rather in the way that Klinsmann's inexperienced coaching-wise.

I know Jurgen's worked out informally with the Galaxy in the team's early days, at least, and that he lives in the L.A. area-- but does he have his coaching license yet? I also recall that he had been working on it as well.

I think that the Galaxy sacking Schmid would be an odd decision (although the tide of support seems to be going that way), but arguably, appointing an untested soul like Klinsmann to replace him would be even odder.

11. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I simply don't get this "Season is too long" BS now being expounded in the Boston Globe and before in other outlets. MLS can't afford to have a 4 month season as some would suggest is best. I think this lenth is fine, though the point is valid that it takes so long to do so little (elimate two teams).

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Klinsmann has actually being playing in the PDL with the Orange County Blue Star under the name "Jay Goppingen" ("J"ay for Jurgen, Goppingen for the town of his birth). I don't have any information but perhaps he was working on his coaching license with that team at the same time as he was playing for them. I do know he's been working on a coaching license for several years though - at least since he moved to LA.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: 11/15 Armas' Hammer

No, I actually think for once Grahame is onto something.

14. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same problem with the LA Times.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Something having to do with activating accounts and what-not.

:confused:

16. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: 11/15 Armas' Hammer

Why would Sampson leave his current job for MLS? Why are those other coaches qualified?

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: 11/15 Armas' Hammer

I don't think Sampson will leave Costa Rica, but as far as the others, I really dunno why they'd be interested but I think Grahame's on the right trail.

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 11/15 Armas' Hammer

Well, I guess we'll see, but that list of coaches seems to me more like Jones' wet dream of foreign coaches rather than successful MLS coaches. It seems to me that success in MLS has a lot to do with how well you can scout and integrate young American/college players. The "foreign" coaches that have neither played here nor coached at a lower level simply don't know where to look.

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though that guy (John Powers) writes fairly often about soccer, I don't think there's too much to get in this case. He clearly wasn't aware that the Revs' attendance for their one game was 30% over the max and 75% over the average of last year's 4 home play-off games. So it would be easier to argue that the long season helped play-off attendance.

In general, it seems to me that playoff attendance this year is better than in a long time. SJ's 2 playoff crowds were their 3rd and 4th largest of the whole year, and only KC draw substantially below their season average in the post season.

20. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
  21. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999