11/12 I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tights.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Wallydrag, Nov 12, 2004.

1. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 11/12 I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tight

That's exciting news for the Gals and Chivas TV deal. A rights fee! Let's hope this is the beginning of a new trend league-wide in the coming years.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article was ghostwritten by either Sepp Blatter...

...or Sean Wheelock.

Re: penalty kicks - if it's good enough for the World Cup final, it's good enough for me. Besides, they are exciting for the fans.

Re: a "flagship" team - Whatever. The Cosmos are dead. The NASL is dead. Get over it. Does the NFL have a flagship team? No, and yet it is considered widely to be far and away the most successful league in America.

Should? Should? What is this "should" you speak of? Hey, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see a team in St. Louis. I would buy season tickets tomorrow, and I'm an hour and a half away. But no city SHOULD get a team unless they meet the criteria.

Whoever this "Ross Atkin" guy is, he obviously doesn't read these boards. :)

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post, KZ.

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Re: 11/12 I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need, is a lobotomy and some tight

Barça USA - ESPN Deportes (Spanish)

There's not much substance here, but it's another confirmation of how the big clubs want to go global.

5. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

San Antonio has appetite for big-time soccer

There is a hypnotic ebb and flow to soccer.

It is a sport that is as much dance as dash, as much chess match as chase. There's a gentle cadence to it, a rhythm that its fans feel as surely as a heartbeat.

Played out on a sprawling landscape as large as any in the athletic universe, the action unfolds in tiny, exhilarating portions, a slow boil of drama that can squeeze emotion out of the hardest soul.

Though I wouldn't know about any of that.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

No flagship teams in the NFL? HA!!

Giants, Cowboys, Raiders, Packers........... not flagship teams??

Not that I care either way..... cause the Metrostars are a massive club!

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Massive at losing.

And anyway, you proved my point - "a" flagship team, not several. If you're talking several, then every league's got 'em.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Note to those unfamiliar with naval operations: the definition of "flagship" is that [Christopher Lambert] There Can Be Only One. [/Christopher Lambert]

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

That USA Today article, btw, is a beaut.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  11. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    another reason to love CHicas USA

Another reason to love Chivas USA. MLS first major rights TV deal that brings in cash.

THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT ITS ABOUT!!!! NOT THIS BS MEXICO vs USA CRAP some of you have been spewing!!!!!

Don Garber is dam man and AEG is just the god of soccer deal making.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: another reason to love CHicas USA

Ah, but the whole US-Mex angle will prove profitable outside the Latino market.

Chivas attracts Mexicans and breeds contempt amongst Mexicans, Central Americans and regular ole' 'Mericans.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Every league's got several flagship teams?

Which teams are MLS' flagship teams?

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

DC United
    Metrostars
    LA Galaxy

just look at the player movement history

For a while Chicago Fire was moving towards such status. Crew could've gotten it with SSS AND a MLS Cup. Metrostars have tried to squander such status at every turn (management not fans/players)

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Point being, it's plausible to stretch the definition to two, like in the Lakers-Celtics days, but when you get to five or six, the exercise of calling them 'flagship' is pointless, because in all probability, if you can list several, then there's only a quantitative (not qualitiative) difference between that group (and the above list is pretty good) and the next group down (Metro, Columbus), not a gigantic gulf. Certainly that's true in the NFL.

16. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to my post that the above poster is responding to? Mod?

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a powerfully bad idea:

Why not create a scaled-down version of a normal game? Move the goals in from either end of the field to create a compact playing surface and play six to a side (rather than 11-on-11 over a much larger area). This might ensure ample scoring opportunities without turning it into a shooting gallery (a la indoor soccer). To make sure nobody takes an overly defensive posture, the team that wins is the one that either scores a goal first or has the most shots on goal by the end of a 10-minute overtime.

18. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here, here.

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I found the answer. He has a USSF 'A' license.