11/12 CCL: Toronto FC - Santos Laguna (SF #1) [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Leg 1: Toronto
    Leg 2: Torreon

The winner will host the second leg in the final.

Discuss...

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess the only questions are:

Can Santos win in Toronto (at least get a draw)?

And How big is the ass whooping going to be?

I say Santos wins by 4 goals. (at least).

3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Toronto has a chance at winning at home, especially with the great home crowd. But they are going to see the difference between playing the best team in mls and Santos.

4. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Toronto's record against Mexican teams is quite respectable - perhaps more so than any other MLS team. A win and a draw at home. A draw and a loss (a pounding) away.

If Toronto can win at home, and play an extremely defensive game in Mexico, there's a chance ... perhaps the 5-2-3 formation (or is it a 3-4-3) will pay off.

One would have to think Santos Laguna is the favourite though. But hey, I said Galaxy were the favourite too.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well both LA and Santos have lost games to the greatest team in Concacaf, LA was not able to comeback and win the elimination game, Santos was able to comeback and eliminate that team.

By that alone Santos >>>>>>>>>>>> LA Galaxy.

[​IMG]

6. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Well, given what the Islanders did to us, I guess that settles it. :)

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So it's back to BMO Field for TFC? Another sellout I presume?

Toronto has to do what no MLS team has been able to do since a decade. Eliminate a Primera club in a home & away series. Then again Toronto isn't technically representing MLS so maybe the past record doesn't apply? :D

8. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My heart says we can take this. If we can get a win at home and not get completely annihilated at Torreon we obviosuly have a chance. My head tells me differently however. Santos at this stage of the game, looks very unbeatable.

Having said that, TFC!!!!

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

absolutely hilarious how many people said the galaxy were favorites to be in the final. Of course mostly Galaxy fans and the stupid Amarillistas at ESPN Mexico that say mexican football is the worst in the world. lol

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    how big is BMO field attendance wise?

12. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    20k-22k

13. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I gotta say; the game at Skydome (I refuse to call it the Rogers Centre) was awesome. Having 47k strong was an incredible experience. I hope we can do that for every game at BMO some day.

14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    So your head is saying "Ooooh, forget this", but your heart is saying "Don't let TFC go-o-o...". So you'll hold on till the end, hoping for vic-tor-y... hopelessly devoted to TFC...

16. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Absolutely!

17. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    yes, like that

18. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Torsten Frings out with a blown harmstring... if Santos plays well that Toronto backline could get penetrated & pounded pretty badly.

What is the worst defeat TFC has suffered in its history? The record could be in danger.

OTOH... maybe TFC lies down... Santos wins 2-nil in Toronto & takes it easy in Torreon for another 2 goal win.... or as Lindsey Graham would say... thank Gawd for lubrication.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Looks like they have a couple 0-5 losses to NY.

20. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That won't happen. I don't think any self-respecting team would do that to tell you the truth. Even the Sounders' annihilation wasn't a result of them purposely tanking. They simply tried to go toe-to-toe offensively with Santos and were taught a valuable lesson in the process. No MLS club can play that free-wheeling style against a Mexican squad. It'll only spell disaster from the first whistle.

Look, football/soccer is a funny ol' game and anything can happen. Having said that I'm not delusional. I know Santos is tops on the table in the Primera and a monster of a squad. I'm still praying though! ;)

TFC!

21. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah. One of those losses - if we'd won or even tied - would have put us into the playoffs. It was the last game of the year too. Definitely not one of our shining moments.

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Would you guys blame Vinter if he chucked this series to focus on the league? His reasoning would be that they wouldn't win anyway, and that the upcoming league games are very important because every point counts when it comes to making the playoffs. And there will be ACC games coming up that will distract from league play as well, so you gotta earn as many league points when you can.

By chucking, I mean putting out a B or C team to keep the starters rested for league play.

23. soccerfutbal

soccerfutbal New Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think chucking the game is a good idea. Normally I would say go for it but in this situation, the chances of beating Santos is very small. You have 2 key players injured, Torsten Frings (Captain) and Stefan Frei (Vice-Captain). I think the important thing to do, is to focus on MLS. Get your crew healed and try to win the MLS Cup.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Weekend Results:

Santos - Queretaro 2:0
    Toronto - San Jose Earthquakes 0:3

Not looking good for Toronto...

25. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tuesday night may only be 5 degrees Celsius at BMO, which is good news for TFC. You can bet Santos will be more affected by the cold. I expect a close game in this leg, either way.