11/10/04: Earn A College Degree Online

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GPK, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    "The incoming governor's plans would be a blow to the city of Harrison, which had worked for two years to build a $120 million soccer stadium next to the Passaic River.

The latest plan for the stadium relied on $90 million in bonds from the Hudson County Improvement Authority, with the team contributing $30 million.

But Codey said despite Harrison's continued efforts, the deal is now dead.

"The county doesn't want to back these bonds," he said.

Officials in Harrison did not return phone calls seeking comment. A MetroStars executive could not be reached for comment. The Jets also declined to comment."

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-18/110006871846140.xml

:eek:

2. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    Yeah, thats the one. I don't really know how to post the link with the title. I can figure it out, but im in sooo shock mode right now!

Un********ing Believable.........

:eek:

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes remain in place for another year! I'm glad the league settled this relatively early to give folks a chance to increase ticket sales again next year.

Fingers crossed on Metros Stadium that situation is only temporarily FUBAR.

6. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC

The Metros Stadium has always been FUBAR, never temporarily...and it will continue to be so for years to come...

Nick S.---I believe the unemployment office has phoned about your soon-to-be-claim for unemployment...problem is, you haven't worked for 5 years.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    [​IMG]

Joselito Vaca is back with family in Bolivia. There's a brief Spanish-language interview, which makes it sound like that he'll be back in MLS next year, either with the MetroStars or Chivas.

Also, his knee injury will keep him out of Bolivia's upcoming qualifier. (Jaime Moreno was called up but won't be playing either.)

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
  9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  10. BradPaton

BradPaton New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    The Copa Libertadores idea sounds really intriguing from the viewpoint of increasing the competitiveness and respect for MLS, however I always get hung up on the massive distances that would be travelled with this sort of expansion. I know currently a couple of Mexican teams compete each year (to be 3 teams in 2005), but Washington, Chicago, New York, Boston, Columbus are significantly farther away than Mexico City, Guadelajara or even Los Angeles from South America.

I'm not saying that would necessarily be a deal-breaker, but assuming there is a distance that would make this sort of travel for a series of games impractical, how far is too far?

I mean, it would be one thing if we were able to schedule a road trip like basketball or baseball where you have a series of games over a period of time before you return home, but these would involve flying down for a series of individual games separated by at least a week in the middle of the MLS regular season. The only part of the tournament that would not have scheduling conflicts would be the first part of the group stages in February and March, which is MLS pre-season.

Personally I think the obstacles are going to be too great and fundamental to overcome. My best hope is that whatever we're calling the CONCACAF club championship be increased in stature, and then have a home and home against the Libertadores champion instead of that Tokyo cluster-********** that nobody seems to really want to play anyway.

11. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    Speaking about that first article, its usually the games that you dont expect to be too extravagant you get alot of fight, ex: Last Year's Super Bowl

12. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    I've LA Times newspaper at home and article say:

Stadium Matters
    Chicago --- Opening in 2006 in Bridgeview, Ill.
    Chivas USA --- HDC opened in 2003 (Not true)
    Colorado --- Planned for 2007 in Commerce City
    Columbus --- Crew Stadium opened in 1999
    DC United --- Planned for 2007 in Anacostia, DC
    FC Dallas --- Opening 2005 in Frisco, TX
    Galaxy --- HDC opened in 2003
    KC --- Arrowhead Stadium opened in 1972
    MetroStars Planned for 2006 in Harrison , NJ
    NE --- Gillette Stadium opened in 2002
    RSL --- Planned for 2007 (no location announced yet)
    SJ --- Seeking new ownership and stadium
    NE and KC play in NFL stadiums. The other 10 teams will be in SSS by 2007, according to MLS.

AEG may be sell some clubs. MLS want 14 teams by 2006 or 2007. SJ will stay for 2005 but moved to Texas by 2006.

more... click link above...

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    The article about the Santiago Bernabeito says that RSL will play 16 games a year there.

Hey, we'll have playoffs and CONACACAF Champions Cup, too!

Yes, I do know that I should not drop acid & take peyote until after 9 in the morning.