11-09-03 - Galaxy @ Smurfs: Playoff game 2 pre/post [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by rokstedy, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we bunker the whole game to preserve the 2-0 aggregate with counterattack in mind or should we go balls out? Let's finish them off.

2. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    the SoHo fans seem to think it's all over, and i'd have to say based on their performances over the last 3 matches i don't see them scoring three goals. especially if derosario is out.

i'd vote for keeping the same team as saturday night with the possible exceptions of:

serna for moreno - perhaps san jose were marking aly a bit more this match as he's burned them a couple of times, but he didn't seem as effective. give him a bit of a rest, give diego 45 minutes.

albright for torres - before yelling, i really like torres down the right and should we fall behing before half time, i say bring him on, but i think chris plays a better defensive player.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been playing well against the Smurfs lately. The thought of bunkering in and giving them more possession scares me. I could see it late in the match but not as a game strategy from the start.
    Go out and get a goal or two!! They can do it. :)
    But on the bunker side of it. They do have some long ball counter talent with Bo's long ball accuracy which could work again for a goal.
    But I say no reason to change what's been working lately and San Jose sure isn't putting a bunch of them in the back of the net now. Two goals against the G's will be a tough assignment.

4. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why change the gameplan now?

5. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish them! I want 4-0 total when all is said and done. KILL THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Yeah Yeah!!! I want a plethora of postgame sanjose quotes ripping the MLS playoff structure, etc. SWEET!!

7. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 11-09-03 - Galaxy @ Smurfs: Playoff game 2 pre/post [R]

I see no reason to change the gameplan, either.

We need to keep in mind that even though we are two goals ahead, San Jose only has to score ONE goal to get right back in this battle - - and all season long, we have shown a willingness to let our opponent score at least one goal. Combine this with our difficulty in scoring/absence of winning on the road, and what is left is a series that is likely to be closer than any of us would like.

Even though our confidence is high after these last three games, I would say that the difference in the last game was that we took advantage of our chances. The Smurfs had at least 3 quality chances on 11/1 and they blew them. We had 3 quality chances, one of which was a gift from an SJ rookie, and we turned it into 2 goals. The first half was a dull affair, with the G's lacking any punch.

Bottom line is that there can be no lack of intensity for the Galaxy on Saturday, because one goal by the SJ in the first half will turn this into anybody's game.

Topper

:D :D

PS: GO GALAXY ! ! ! ELIMINATE THE SMURFS!!!

8. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    I for one am completely confused. Am I the only one who noticed that until Derasorio went out of the game that he and Mullan were wreaking havoc to the Galaxy Defense. Primarily due to the LACK OF SPEED and complete DEFENSE INEPTITUDE of Victorine.

I hope that Victorine's fluke of a goal does not overshadow the fact that he was by far the weakest link Saturday.

I hope that we see Albright in place of Victorine. In addition to Albright actually being able to play defense, he is occasionally capable of passing the ball to a someone in the same color jersey.

9. 100_Fires

100_Fires New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    so cal
    Agreed. A little harsh,but I concur. Mullen seem to be easily get behind Sasha a lot in the 1st 1/2 and was combining nicely with the pretty boy and DeRosario.

10. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 11-09-03 - Galaxy @ Smurfs: Playoff game 2 pre/post [R]

I'm asking a hypotheical question. Max Bretos was commented that LA should bunker down and preserve the aggregate. I'm not so sure as I'd rather score more insurane goals.

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viewing party

The Galaxy will hold a viewing party at the Torrance Marriot. I wonder why they didn't do it at the Stadium Club. I think I'll go to this shindig.

Galaxy 2003 MLS Cup Playoffs Viewing Party Info.
    Torrance Marriott
    Sunday, November 9, 2003
    6:00 PM (PT) Kickoff
    Click here for directions to the Torrance Marriott

No need to RSVP, but space is limited.

For more information, call 1-877-3GALAXY.

12. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    The Galaxy would be foolish to just sit on their lead and bunker down. As Topper said before, all it takes is one goal for San Jose and the series has a whole new look. If I was Sigi (and no, I'm not pregnant like he constantly is), I'd keep the same lineup and keep the same tactics that he's used these last three games. Sigi's not stupid...he'll make the proper subs if he wants more defense or offense to get the result he wants.

What I worry more is if the players get at each others throats and yellow and red cards get thrown out. I despise MLS refs as they have no clue, but it wouldn't surprise me if a call goes in favor of SJ with a Donavon dive in game 2. Just my two cents.

13. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Official Galaxy vs Earthquake pre-post game [R]

We should past the San Jose this saturday. I think that the fact the San Jose lost so many games at the end of the regular season make them an easy target. I think they do have a good team, but they luck motivation at this point. My prediction

LA Galaxy 1
    Earthquake 0

Attendance= 16,000

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    and the sour grapes begin already...

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7187484.htm

these guys sound like they've already given up.

my favorite quote

well frankie, we've played 5 games against you this season, and lets see we've got 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 ties with an aggregate score of 7-3. we may have had a crappy season but against the smurfs we've more than held our own.

15. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus....Nice find there. Hope Sigi's posting that quote in the locker room. What a bunch of crybabies. Is it LA's fault that the Smurfs always choke when it matters (too bad they didn't in '01...but they were crap the rest of the season that year and only got hot in the playoffs...much like LA this year) ;)

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must ..... restrain ...... self ...... from .... gloating ...... until ..... Sunday......

(At which point all (both?) Quake fans become supporters of Rapids or Wizards.)

17. LLCOOLJEW

LLCOOLJEW New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    So Cal
    anyone catch Waibels comments in hard C's latest column? when asked which player would you most like to trade jerseys with, waibel replys "danny calif, his jeresy is so big i could make a comforter for my bed."

somebody is a little bitter....

18. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    Just a little smack talk. He took Califf and his brother out to dinner after the last game in SJ.

19. Galaxy-2002MLSCHAMPS

Oct 21, 2002
    San Jose, California
    They are good friends who talk like every day. It's all good and fun!!! :)

20. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Personally I'd rather face SJ than LA in the next round. SJ is entirely overrated and we've manhandled them all season. I don't care how mediocre your season was, your guys always scare me. But.... Your boys definately have the support of everyone in Coloradao,and I'm sure KC too. Well, for this weekend that is! We'll take care of our end, inspite of our dumba$$ coach, but get out there on Saturday, put the nail in SJ's coffin, and deliver us one more home game.

2-1 LA. Landon who???

Hope to see you on the 15th.

21. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we don't bunker, its not our style. We go for it and try and take this one too. Regardless what happened in the regular season we have the talent to win on any given saturday. Maybe the old Magician 100fires can give us that push we will need. I would rather go down fighting than wait for something to happen.
    PS God hates smurfs!!!!!!!!

22. 100_Fires

100_Fires New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    so cal
    Si Se Puede!

F the Smurfs!

23. Galaxy64

Galaxy64 Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep putting the pressure! Same line up. Let's give them the screw and finish it!!

24. 100_Fires

100_Fires New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    so cal
    Looks like a bad night for No Cal. Raiders lose in OT and next, the end of the EarthQueefs.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody doing PBP for this?