10 Years ago... Jimmy Glass.... Classic

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by steveedster, May 8, 2009.

1. steveedster

steveedster Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Enjoy people, lower league football at its most dramatic....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KejwqhLDeOs"]YouTube - Jimmy Glass: Carlisle United Legend[/ame]

2. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Great moment. Pity they still ended up in the Conference a couple of years later !!

3. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He went out of football almost immedietly after that and is now a security guard at a shopping centre.

4. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I've heard that he's now a taxi driver in Bournemouth?

5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He owns the company

6. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Ah fair enough, I always wondered what happened to him after that!

Incidentally on the same day we beat Hull 2-0 at the Vetch to secure our playoff place, in the days before mobile phones with live scores, and our game kicked off late because of heavy rain making the pitch waterlogged. We were keeping an eye on the Scarborough game because Peterborough could have nicked our playoff place had they won and we lost. The full times were coming through and the Scarborough fans were on the pitch, thinking they were safe, when reports of the goal at Carlisle started to come through. We couldn't quite believe it when it said that their keeper had scored in injury time!

I think the top two (Cambridge & Brentford) met on the same day, something which happened again the following season, with exactly the same situation - the away team needing a point to secure the title. Although now I come to think of it I seem to remember C***iff could still win it as well.

Anyway, we lost in the playoffs, and got our comeuppance regarding the late kick off four years later when Exeter started 15 minutes after us in our own relegation battle. Thankfully that time we were 4-2 up by the time they were kicking off for the second half, also against Hull as coincidence would have it. Anyway, what was the topic about again?

7. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Oh, and on the subject of last minute winners, and at exactly the opposite end of the Football League...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmO3S2eLPE"]YouTube - Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal - League Decider (1989) - Live Footage[/ame]