10-year old Yank w/ Valencia CF Youth Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I was talking about his parents, whethere they were of spanish descent? Is that for sure?

2. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ahhh. I see, thanks for the clarifcation. ALthough it has not been proven for sure, there is a good chance they may be of catalan descent.

I also googled his name, and noticed that it seems to be a spanish of origin name, as many of the peopel that came up with that last name were spanish.

4. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas
    uh, if this kid turns out to be any good he is gonna play for spain. according to those vids he has been in spain since he was 7 or 8 years old. After he turns pro he will of probably spent more time in spain than the USA.

if spain wants him, they will have him.

5. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

i don't think so...it's burried somewhere in this thread that his parents want him to play for the USA one day

6. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    His father subscribes to the US Soccer Youtube channel so I would say there's a pretty good chance he wants him to play for the U.S. The family also lives in New Jersey (I know I know, Rossi was from Jersey too).

7. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, there is now competition between USMNT and Spanish National Team for this 10 y/o. Poster stupidity knows no bounds!

8. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spain is stacked with talent at every level of the game, i highly doubt they will worry about losing one or two ten year olds.

9. spcuam

spcuam Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Anaheim
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a chance the father himself does not feel Spaniard because he is from Catalan. Some Catalans dont feel that they are Spaniards.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    good point. A close friend is Catalan and he does not identify very strongly with Spain. Some Catalans root against Spain.
    I met the President of FC Barcelona, Joan Laporta, last year and sat in his box at Nou Camp ( long story, professional visit). I told him that this was my first trip to Spain. He sharply corrected me : "Catalunya". That tells the story for many people from Catalunya.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I remember Bruce Arena's comment about Freddy Adu : " we need 100 Freddy Adu's, because you can't tell which great youth players will be great adult players"

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...let's be honest. That's what makes it fun.

If not for the moronic these boards would lose appeal quickly.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting!

I never knew this! Thanks for that tidbit of info!

14. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In what language did you converse with LaPorta; English, Spanish or Cataluñan? King Carlos speech in Barcelona opening the Olympics’ was delivered in Cataluñan and he was much beloved for it. However, Cataluñyans are nor separatists that designations is exclusively for the Basques

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    This also explains why the Spanish national team almost never plays their games in Catalunya.

In fact, last summer during the Confederations Cup I was scanning the Spanish sports press for coverage in the buildup to the USA vs. Spain game. When I looked at Sport, a Barcelona-based newspaper, I saw that the tournament was barely getting any coverage at all; it consisted of a single small headline about halfway down the page. There was even a poll to rate the level of importance of the Confederations Cup, and most of the participants judged it "not very".

Another anecdote: Laporta used to play as a defender in the 3rd division, and for at least one season he was the backup for a good friend of mine. :)

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did I not know about this kid:eek:

D'oh

17. J mann

J mann Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4zXJiMPulY"]YouTube - Enric - Recap 2009-2010.m4v[/ame]

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Looks like he's playing Defense alot in this video, I thought he was an attacking player.
    Anyone know how old he is now? 12-13?

19. ktabz

ktabz Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does he play left back?

20. STLCover2

STLCover2 Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Wow - the kid's fantastic, but what really impresses me is the quality of play. These highlights (and I know that they're highlights) make it seem that these 11/12 y/o kids are better than our Development Academy kids in terms of tactical understanding.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I remember his father. He was the Chief in my favorite cop show, Sabotage:

[​IMG]

22. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    He's an excellent player, and the level of player for their age is absolutely terrific, the vision, tactical understanding, and technical ability is extremely high.

23. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    IIIIIII can't stand it (your poor poop culture references), I know you planned it!

24. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Your seeing more and more young usa kids going over to Europe soccer academies and residencies to train and there getting results. I think that is only going to increase too. The only question is if this turns out to be that good will he play for spain or usa? Another Guiseppi Rossi situation. If kids got the drive to go over europe more power to them. We can't match there training rite now.

25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are seeing less now actually. FIFA rules are becoming tougher for kids under 18 to play in foreign countries even if it is an academy situation.

Most American kids in Europe under 18 are dual citizens