10 of 12 SPL Teams can't be wrong ...can they?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by The Cadaver, Aug 1, 2002.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think this appropriate for the "business" end of this forum.

Saw that 10 of the 12 SPL teams (all but Rangers and Celtic) have "resigned" from the league, presumably to form a league of their own. Although the "resignation" does not take effect for two years after tendering notice of intent to withdraw, they are making a pretty strong point about the disparity of revenues and quality of teams.

I would appreciate any insight from SPL fans who are closer to this situation than I. Is this pure posturing? The first step for Rangers and Celtic to joint EPL? or something else?

2. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    The way I see it, Rangers and Celtic are looking to join the Enlgish first division.

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    The FL does not want the Old Firm. They won't be playing outside of Scotland anytime soon.

4. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    It's tempting to say that 10 out of 12 teams may be wrong or may be right, but nobody really gives a toss either way.

For now, the ten teams that resigned have no credibility whatsoever, as this is the second time in recent years they have taken this step and as they've never had the balls to carry through their threats before, they won't be taken seriously until they prove themselves as good as their word. Can they live without Celtic and Rangers? Or is the question "do Celtic and Rangers care?" They think they can (or so they say). With any luck, we shall see. Celtic are playing Tottenham in a pre-season friendly next Wednesday night, four days AFTER the Scottish season kicks off. I guess this tells you all you need to know about how seriously the big two in Scotland take their own national competition.

The move by the ten has nothing to do with Celtic and Rangers coming down to England, at least causally speaking, but I can't help thinking that when all the politics have been played out, and for a variety of reasons too lenghty to go into here, the Glasgow pair will at some point soon join the Nationwide First Division and, therafter, be promoted into the Premiership at some point. They won't go directly into the Premiership, but all parties will be happy with the Division One compromise.

Thereafter, who knows what will happen to the game in Scotland. And, back to where I started, who really cares? The remaining ten have great supporters in loyalty terms but there aren't a lot of them and, frankly, without Celtic and Rangers the game in Scotland would have no economic clout which, sadly, does count these days. As Craig Brown said a couple of weeks ago, "if Preston joined the SPL, they'd be the third biggest team in the league on day one." Which just about says it all.

5. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Two things have been obvious for years: Celtic and Rangers are too big for Scotland, and the other clubs are too small for Celtic and Rangers. Clubs of such stature belong in a prestigious league. But since the SPL would probably not survive without them, a radical solution is needed. The English and Scottish leagues should merge. Put the old firm clubs in the prem, the others where appropriate, create a couple more divisions or some regional leagues if necessary. It would be best for all concerned, especially fans of the old firm clubs, who surely would be much more enthusiastic about matches against the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool, as well as a real chance in Europe than seeing Dunfermline four times a year.

6. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Celtic and Rangers will have to give in. They have nowhere else to go. Also does anybody know of a committee that requires a 11-1 majority? Ridiculous.

7. JohnMac

JohnMac New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Salinas, CA
    Rangers strategy is to see how UEFA and SFA look at it. They are banking UEFA will balk at it just like the balked at everything the Old Firm has tried (Atlantic league and England). If they do then Old Firm holds the cards. If the ok it then Old Firm will have to give in on voting.

8. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Scottish Football: Old Firm warned fuse has been lit

The 10 non-Old Firm Scottish Premier League clubs yesterday insisted that only a change of mindset from Celtic and Rangers could save the league from self-destructing...

The Telegraph

9. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    What is the most likely outcome of this fuss?

Nothing will happen. Everything will stay the same. Rangers and Celtic will be in the SPL, so will the other 10 teams.

The two parties have quarreled quite a few times in the past. Rangers/Celtic jumping to the Nationwide? who are you kidding?

The SPL will cease to exist only if all the teams in the U.K. merge to form a British league, which is not likely.

That said, how bad will the SPL be if Rangers and Celtic had jumped ship? I would say it's at the same level as the Finnish league, the Belarussian league, the Bosnian league. No team will ever get to the CL proper. They would get to the UEFA Cup proper only if they get a favorable draw.

That's why I've lost 90% of my interest in the SPL. It's a far cry from 20 years ago when at least Aberdeen and Dundee United could make a run in Europe.