10/30 KC/SJ (Leg 2) Banter

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by AndyMead, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    sorry Spoon, couldn't resist.

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    More history with a playoff reversal of form bent!

I did some checking last night and found:

dc '98: Lost 2-4 on road and returned home to win 3-0 and advance
    DAL '99: Lost 0-4 on road and retrned home to advance
    dc '99: Got bombed by CLB 1-5 and returned home to win 4-0 and advance
    KC '00: Had to win Game 3 v LA and follow it up immmediately with a mini-game win to go to the final.
    MET '00: Lost in CHI 0-3 and returned home to win 2-0
    SJ '01: Bombed higher seed Miami 4-0 at home to take series after losing on the road
    KC '01: 0-2 to Miami followed by a 3-0 win back at Arrowhead. That would have won the series under this format.
    LA '02: Blowout by our guys 1-4, but they returned to win 5-2 and take the series
    SJ '03: Lost 0-2 and came back 5-2 in ET v LA. Wost playoff defense ever.

My point is gifts can be given/earned in MLS

Other anecdotal evidence:

The '96 Cup was gifted to dc by Campos, who momentarilly forgot how to catch. Pope cleaned up the mess.

The '97 Cup was also a gift as KC, the only other half-@ss team in MLS that year (TB was the only other above .500, but had a negative GD), blew the West division to Colorado, going shotless on goal in Game 1 at home. KC won all 4 games v COL during the regular season. The Rapids swept and dc went on virtually unopposed. Making it even more tragic was that KC took the season series with dc 2-1.

The '99 Cup was dc playing closer to home against soft, free-wheeling, and offensive LA in the Nor'easter in New England. The All-time Champion of gifts from Mother Nature. You couldn't hope for better weather playing that 80 goal team. dc was so good that they were stuffed like a Thankgiving turkey 1-5 in CLB that playoff year.

In 2000, KC overcame the 4-1 points deficit to advance on Mo's sacrifice to the Great Bald Dane.

KC this year missed almost every name up top for 2-30 games, had to use a backup keeper, and still only missed the Shield by a post. Bob has a plan.

All I'm saying is that the reversal of form has happened before.

SJ is 4-8-3 on the road this year, had a losing record in the league, might be too confident given the nature of their result last week, and if not for a late, season-saving, and possibly offside goal in Dallas, would be playing golf now.

There's also hope in the venue:

KC is 7-2-2 on that grass at Arrowhead all-time in the playoffs. Unbeaten since 1997. Unbeaten and untied since LA's 0-0 tie in Game 1 of the West Confference Series.

I'm confidence Bo will not F-up like that again, nor will SJ get that kind of a deflection. KC will get shots on net, and at least 2 will beat Onstad. Bo will have to be uber-special to have a game here next week.

KC 3-1 and then on to the final with an ET clincher. Ben proceeds to break my rib after the last one....a small price to pay.

:)

3. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    FWIW, 14 of our 38 goals this year were scored in the first half. Most of those first half goals were scored around ten minutes before halftime. A first half goal(s) and a lead at the break will to wonders to the team's confidence.

Now here is the question: Can our forwards score goals without our defense giving up any?

4. This will be the chance for Gansler to go with three forwards along with Igor in the midfield. Rely upon our strong defense and hope that SJ has the bunker mentality. An early goal will be the difference either way.

I look for Davey, Josh, Matt Taylor and Igor to all be on the field at the same time. I only hope it's not for the last 10 minutes because we still need to make up 2 goals!!

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does Bob have enough faith in either Matt Taylor or Justin Detter to actually use one of them? Basically we have three forwards that Bob uses: Davy, Josh, and Igor - and one of them plays in the midfield due to the injuries to Preki and Chris.

Rather than run out from the start with three forwards, I'd rather see Igor start the game on the bench. Use Gomez or Walsh as a true a-mid behind Davy and Josh. Possibly go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 depending on where you want to place Zotinca and Gutierrez.

Save Igor until halftime - or later. I'd rather have Simutenkov on the field at the end of OT, then have him subbed out in the second half.

No need to open ourselves up to a San Jose goal early. We need to press - but not be stupid through the first half hour. We can apply a lot of pressure with a regular lineups and systems. I think that it is more important to not give up the third goal in the first half hour. We can attack and pressure, but let's not get stupid.

Remember, this game is at Arrowhead. They won't be able to pinball it around like Spartan, the Wizards will have a better chance to control the ball and press the attack.

6. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    DA is definitely promoting the Wiz Wagon a ton. He had on "Nigel" this morning. A rovers fan who is an expert on hooliganism. Very funny, but man, some of that stuff could certainly give soccer a bad name. They be rebroadcasting that segment at 8:30 this morning. No streaming though. :(

I have sent an IM to the studio encouraging them to join the Cauldron for the game.

He also interviewed Josh and Jimmy this morning. That was pretty funny and both of them seemed fairly optimistic about the Wizard's chances.

7. This all makes sense. You should call someone Andy.

Given the last game sub pattern, I wouldn't be suprised to see Khari get the start in place of Igor to allow him the opportunity to finish. I would rather see Walsh but that seems unlikely.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Well I hope they are. The only way they are going to do it is if they believe they can.

9. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I heard it all. It was awesome. Made my day, in fact.

The Nigel segment HAD to be BS, didn't it? (I mean, geez, he claimed that he stole a policeman's horse, rode it on to the pitch, pulled up a corner flag, and impaled someone with it.) It was pretty hilarious though.

Then to hear actual soccer talk, was great. I knew from the articles that Jimmy has written, that he's really pretty funny so I suspected he'd be a great interview for DA. (He had him laughing out loud more than once.) Josh was a good interview too. They were both on the air at the same time, so they actual got to take some friendly jabs at each other.

After the interviews, no kidding, he starts talking about the overwhelming response and feedback they've gotten for the Wiz Wagon promotion. He literally thanked everyone for the positive support this has received!!! This got me excited the most . . . because what it can translate into is more soccer coverage (both after we win this weekend AND next season) which translates into more credibility and from there into a larger fanbase.

DA keeps saying that they're sitting "near" the Cauldron. I can only guess that means Section 115.

I've been anxiously awaiting Saturday all week . . . the suspense is getting to me . . . I'm ready . . . Let's DO this!!! (Predicting final score 3-1, goes to PKs - to REALLY add to the drama: Josh, Davy, Igor, and Diego Guttierez score while Burciaga's lands on the other side of I-70; Donovan, Mullan, Dero score, Corrales misses wide right, and Bo makes a save on Ching. Wizards advance.)

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    C'mon, why don't you actually step out on a limb and make a tough prediction. You didn't tell me what minute the goals were coming in. Waffler. :D

The radio promo is great. I hope he's not expecting a USWNT doubleheader crowd this weekend. Weather should be clear and about 68, but I haven't heard any news about attendance... which is usually a bad thing. I hope we get 10k. Anybody who's not coming on these boards better be dying, in the war, or out of the hemisphere (that's right hemisphere you pansy Wizards fans in St. Kitts). Hartley. Come sit at the top of the Cauldron and cheer. We need all the help we can get this week.

11. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    ;)

I doubt I've been worth much at work this week - thinking about this game.
    I read that the Wiz have scored 15 goals and given up only 3 in playoff games at Arrowhead. And I'm fully expecting that the losing-record-barely-scraping-into-the-playoffs-with-a-draw-against-the-mighty-Burn-to-sneak-in Earthquakes are going to show up.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you guys have a guess on how many fans you're expecting? attendence for the playoffs leaguewide has been terrible, so here's hoping you guys get a good showing.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, playoff attendance has been fine. The only real "outlier" has been New England, but then the Red Sox were playing game one of the World Series. I consider 5k a good crowd under that circumstance.

I'll be happy with 8k. I'd be shocked to see 12k. And that's not "terrible" - it's expected.

14. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    DA had Landon Donovan on just now. Was hoping he'd spend some time talking about the USMNT but hey, we'll take what we can get, right?

Also, he mentioned on air that his crew (which he's says he's got SIXTY people coming now) is sitting in Sect 115, Row 2. He didn't give a seat number so I'm not sure which end of the row they'd be at. Close enough to the Cauldron to get them into Game Mode.

On the attendance numbers, we didn't have a game under 8000 all season (excluding the USOC Final). Granted, blips like the USWNT, Adunited, and Break-the-record-night dragged our average up to 14000, but it's the playoffs?!? Can't we expect at least 12k?

15. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Section 115 is just to the left of the cauldron. I imagine they will be just on the other side of the "Yard" banner.

16. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Let me say that I despise trollers who stroll into a forum and whine, or add input on things that they are clueless about. Your expert Andy Mead has done this in the Earthquakes forum all year long. Many times. Allow me to return the favor!

What line of work are you in Furryogre? Do you work at Kansas City based Hallmark and write greeting cards? If so, I hope they moved you into the sympathy section since that "losing-record-barely-scraping" team is up big on your team!

Congrats on one trophy this season Wiz fans, there won't be two!

There! I feel better now.

My prediction... less than 10 minutes before a response from you Mead! ;-)

17. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I gues I could have shared this with you guys.

Matt,
    We're gonna be in the section right next to the Cauldron, so it should be a good time. Going to the game? If so, we'll see ya there. If not, try to win these tickets!

Thanks for writing and visit the website!
    DA

18. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Our expert could kick your expert's ass. :D

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stopped reading right here

20. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Not really KCW related, but:

As I said elsewhere, I'll be going to the 'Head straight from Lincoln. If any Mizzou fans want an official media guide, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can snag.

I also have a KU football media guide, should anyone be interested in that.

21. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Goodsport (Quakes expert) over Mead any day of the week, including tomorrow when your season ends!

Not rubbing it in, simply stating the obvious on both points!

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all people, a Quakes fan should know that a season is not over until the end of the second game, especially after last year. Not saying that it'll happen, but after last year, I wouldn't think anyone would be too comfortable until the end of the second game.

23. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Nothing is ever guaranted. That's why they play the games.

GO WIZARDS

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    No you didn't;)

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards