10/30 DeMerit: Watford v Forest [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Treetaliano, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No love for Jay??

He's in the starting eleven for the Hornets. First career league appearance.

2-0 Watford at the half.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn forgot him

Everyone was asleep at the switch this morning

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    make that 2-1 at the half. Forest pulled one back at the whistle.

4. shawfield

shawfield New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Jay D seemed to play very well, was constantly in the action on radio commentary.

Excellent win, Jay should stay in team for Tuesday at Gillingham also.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    this is a freakin' amazing story.........this kid came from NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWHERE

And, so far, nothing speaks to him being above his head....

We be jammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmin'.. :)

6. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I am going to try and dig up the story on him. My older brother was visiting me last week and said that his friend's younger brother played in England. I asked what team he played for and my brother said he didn't know, but found out soon enough from Jay's older brother. He said that he hadn't made the first team yet, but was in the reserves. I was quite surprised to see his name in the first team this morning!

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    the story has been "dug up" for quite a while now.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=000127

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=000104

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=search&s=demerit

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
  9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    where do you see that?

he's def not 6 ft tall. 5' 11" is pushing it actually.

10. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
  11. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    That's no excuse. It's expected that you know the content of every thread before posting or fear the wrath of the "all-knowing" posters. And what's with being helpful (I think that's against BS protocal)?

12. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I guess I should have known better :D

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay has to be the YA story of the year. I caught some clips of the game and was quite impressed with what I saw. DeMerit certainly shows signs of potential. I just hope he continues to progress at a rapid pace. His minutes are longer and longer each game so that's a great sign. We're all pulling you you Jay!!

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This thread is 13 posts long and no one has said:

Why isn't he coming to Jamaica!!!!!????

There, now all is right in my world.

15. shawfield

shawfield New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Jay is the perfect kind of player for Watford manager Ray Lewington. Ray knows that to compete effectively in Div 1 ( championship ) in UK, you must be very strong & capable of giving back as much physical contact as you receive. This was Watfords problem last season...to many 'soft' players who could not "give it back". Some of last seasons players have learned their lesson well, others are new to Watford but have always had that 'physical presence' that Ray talks about so often.

As soon as you see Jay in action, its obvious that he is a dominant force. He wins everything in the air & has good pace. Playing alongside such an experienced defender as Sean Dyche - who's been everywhere, done everything - will help JD even more. Another thing in his favour is that Neil Cox, who's place he took because of injury, has had a couple of high profile errors recently, so the opportunity to keep Neil out of the team when fit again is there for him.

Look out for J's first goal from a "set-peice", as he's already scored for he reserve team that way & is threatening when allowed to 'go up' for corners or free kicks.

Gillingham away tomorrow night really is a big test for JD as they are the architypal physical English provincial team. They have little money so survive on, so work rate & physicality are their trademark.

He'll be marking an enormous African Centre Forward & will have to concede a few bruises I am sure.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When is the Jason Roberts test?

If he passes that one...

17. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Watford travel to Wigan on January 22, 2005. If DeMerit is still healthy and playing, he should get the chance to mark Roberts at least some of the time.

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    A great test indeed. Wigan has been outstanding, and Roberts won't be in the Coca-Cola long, one way or the other.

A question for later consumption will be....does Jay's 'style' translate well to the Premiership? He seems like a perfect player for this league, but the Premiership places even a higher emphasis on skill..

For now, I'm just enjoying the (very enjoyable) ride...