10/27/04 Matchday 15: Charlton v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Nov 23, 2004.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] v. [​IMG]

Chelsea FC 10-3-1, 33 PTS, 1st Place (+2)
    Charlton 3-3-8, 12 PTS, 16th Place (-21)

3:00 PM GMT
    10:00 AM EST

US TV: 3PM & 11PM SDD FSW
    UK TV: Beamback

Live on Big Blue

ChelseaFC.com

News on Soccernet

TEAMtalk-Chelsea

BBC-Chelsea

Latest Chelsea News From Google

Other Fixtures (EST) US TV

Saturday, November 27, 2004
    7:45 Fulham v Blackburn Live FSW
    10:00 Birmingham v Norwich
    10:00 Bolton v Portsmouth
    10:00 Southampton v Crystal Palace
    10:00 West Brom v Man Utd Live PPV
    12:15 Man City v Aston Villa Live FSW

Sunday, November 28, 2004
    9:00 Newcastle v Everton 1PM SDD FSW
    10:00 Tottenham v Middlesbrough 9PM SDD FSW
    11:05 Liverpool v Arsenal Live PPV

8 matches on TV in the US this week....Wow.

I'm heading to Florida until Monday, so I needed to do this early. Enjoy the holiday. Cheers. Go Chelsea!

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is the same ground we got waffled at last year. Worst game of the year I thought, they killed us at the Valley. I think it was like a 4-1 finish. I remember Hreiderson (sp?) scoring like 3 mins into the game.

I thinking coming off a lose at home and a mid-week CL "bye" since the second team will be playing and it looks like Drogba will be back that this could be a 3-0 victory for Chelsea. Hopefully Tiago and Eidur won't even get on the pitch.

With Arsenal playing Liverpool on Sunday (and Liverpool get 2-3 more injuries today), God knows if they'll even be able to field a team of regulars.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Yeah, poor Liv'pool, it's like bad dream, injuries just keep on coming (Garcia yesterday).
    As for Chelsea, I don't think Dorgba will play full game agains Athletic. he will probably come in the 2nd half. I hope we can manage to win and not slip up again. i am still devastated by the last match. Man, that hurts. But we will win i believe. 2-0

4. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm in a wildly optimistic mood, so my guess for this Saturday's matchup is 3-0 in Chelsea's favor. SuperFrank, Terry and Kezza to score.

Can you tell I'm in a good mood? :D

And if anyone in the DC area comes to Luck Bar in DC to watch the match, I'll buy them a pint. :D

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    You lads have having a laugh right?

Beat them 3-0 at the Valley?

Doubt it very much myself.
    They're not great on the road, but they're awefully tough at their own gaff.

1-2 the blues.

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey now, there just might be a lass in your midst here. ;)

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    ..and i could say that would explain a lot.

But, being the strong of character type that Moderators are made out of...i wont :);):p

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha! Very nicely put. Have great Thanksgiving, Clan. :)

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wow, a woman on the Chelsea boards. I wonder what my fiance would say if she were to find out that there was a woman on these boards. She currently believes that only sexy, nerdy guys like myself visit these boards.

P.S. Redskins suck

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha! Just let her know there are actually a good number of female Chelsea supporters in the US, and to keep an eye on her sexy, nerdy fiancee now and again. LOL :p

P.S. Dark Horse was a lovely pub, it was nice to hang out there before the Chels match this past August.

P.P.S. Eggles suck

P.P.P.S. Happy Turkey Day to you too, eddie. :)

11. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    i just noticed... is it supposed to be 11 not 10/27/04

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    She'll be glad to know someone is here to protect me.

Back to the thread, I'll be at the Dark Horse this Saturday to watch the game. I've changed my thinking from a 4-1 win for the Blues. Clan is right, Charlton maybe push overs away from the Valley but at home their are a very tough team to beat. They've got a great manager, who's been there forever. I really think losing Parker last year hurt them badly. Badly enough where I don't know if they'll recover to get back to the top 6 level they were approaching when he left. He was their inspirational leader and the focal point of their whole team. They are still trying to replace him. I thought Rommedahl would be the man and that may still prove to be true but it hasn't really worked out great yet.

But judging that the game is at the Valley, I think Clan is right. This game will probably finish 2-1. Arsenal plays on Sunday against Liverpool so they'll know our result when they kickoff. Plus Steven Gerrard is back for Liverpool. If Luis Garcia and Baros hadn't just gotten hurt, I would have thought that Liverpool could win the game. As is, I think they'll get their asses handed to them.

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How many away fans does the new Valley hold?

2,500?

Bet there'll be a tidy atmosphere at this one.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Mourinho on sky.

"Scott parker will not play against Charlton"

...also mentioned that Carvalho will not play against Porto.

15. hfmea

hfmea New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Gallas as L.Back again... :confused:

starting-11

Petr Cech 1
    William Gallas 13
    Renato Paulo Ferreira 20
    Alberto Ricardo Carvalho 6
    John Terry 26
    Damien Duff 11
    Frank Lampard 8
    Claude Makelele 4
    Cardoso Tiago 30
    Eidur Gudjohnsen 22
    Arjen Robben 16

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And it appears Kezza isn't even on the sub bench. :(

17. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    well 51 minutes in terry makes it two nil after duffer got us off the mark in the first half.
    sweet...... :D

18. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    four nil now,terry with his second and eidur gets the fourth.

19. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    I just wanted to congratulate you Chleski phans on what a wonderful team you have. I REALLY can't stand manure, don't really care for you guys, but I recognize the tremendous job Jose M. has done for your club. He has been your best aquisition by far. I would be proud to have the team you have as I am sure you guys are.

I look forward to the jousting b/t the gunners and the blues this season for top club in the Premier League.

GP

20. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How about doing ya one better then, and making it a 4-0 win? :D :D

Ah, what a lovely laugh to share with you, Clan! ;)

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congratulations on thrashing CAFC. I know Charlton are not nearly the side they were last year, but neither is Chelsea. I must admit you have a dynamite side: tight defense, lots of talent, and play precision football. Jose has brought a real confidence and chemistry that CFC was lacking last season and it makes all the difference in the world. Your performances are proof of that.

I know that when AFC and Chelsea meet they shall be excellent matches.

P.S. I love the new crests! Simple, traditional, and a classic design!!!!

22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Boring boring Chelsea!
    The only negatives were Drogba's performance and Lampard failing to find a goal, but you have to dig deep for those negatives. What a wonderful perfromance against a team that's statistically excellent at home. Top of the table!
    Blue is color, football is the game............

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks, that game was great. I agree that Jose M was the best acquisition. He instills a confidence in this team that Ranieri never could. At this point last year Ranieri would have said something like, "we are a good team but not of the same class as Man U or Arsenal."

I also love the way he works guys who have missed long amounts of time in. He gives them 3-4 20min sub appearances ala Duff, Robben, Drogba. It keeps the team gelling while the player works his way back.

24. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Indeed.

Just got done watching the game on Tivo.

An excellent all round team performance from the lads.
    Away support, was again, loud and proud in an opponents stadium.Starting to remind me of the old days when Chels were recognised as having the best away support in the land.

No stand out player in the game really, just excellent performances from everybody on the pitch.I was even amazed that Cech was rolling the ball out ot blue shirted players instead of hoofing it upfield to the opposition ;)

I agree with you about Drogba - he looked like he just couldn't be bothered and showed a really poor attitude on the day.

At first i was thinking that the Addicks were very poor today, then, my thoughts went to Boro away, where again, i thought they were poor when we played them.
    Now, i'm begining to see that it's the way Mourinho has the "team" playing - we're making sides, even good sides, look poor on the day.

Funny, we created less chances today than in most of the earlier games this season, and have now not only caught up to that vastly impressive goal difference Arsenal had after a half dozen games, but have actually passed it out - albeit with a game more played.

I've seen Chelsea flatter to decieve many, many times in my life - the worst had to be in '99 when we really should have won the title.
    I'll still keep quite as there's a long way too go, but, damn, we're looking good :D

United won again today, are starting to get some form back as well.
    I just knew that bloody wih over Arsenal would kick start their season - losing the following week to Pompey got them even more fired up!

Who was it that was arguing with me that our midfield wouldn't supply goals and i listed several players that would break double digits - was it "Liverpool SC" or something like that.

The way Mourinho has us playing now, i still fully expect several players from our midfield to score that many.

Gudjohnson again supplied a stunning through ball for a player to score.
    It;ll be a tough call about what to do if Drogba doesn't at least try to reach par with him on that stat as we clearly don't need a main man in the Henry type with this team.It just doesn't seem to be the way Mourinho has the lads playing.It's an all round team effort.

Kez was out i expect CFC in DC as no doubt he'll be playing the full 90 in the league cup in mid week - chin up lass.

A good day and i may even do the unthinkable and have a (very) little cheer for the pool tomorrow.
    Normally i would want a draw in that game, but i think an outright win for the scousers would be of better benefit for us this year.Let them have all three, they're going no-where and it wont hurt us this time round.

25. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep much better then the recent home games were the fans have been a bit quiet. I had a great time today. There were plenty of the old songs and some nice new ones too.

Game was good too, I am off to Fulham on Tuesday too and really looking forward to it.