10/2 DMB: Lyon v Rangers (CL)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Hed7181, Oct 2, 2007.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    I love DMB when healthy and happy (something he wasn't in his last year at PSV). His first touch is inconsistent, but he is smart with his positioning and uses his speed very well. This criticism is a very fair one, if his getting bounced around results in disposession without getting the calls from the officials. However, one thing to note is that DMB is not a diver. He gets knocked down constantly from contact...but I really believe he is trying to keep his feet in most cases. So while the criticism is fair, the natural extrapolation about questioning a player's heart or grit for always being knocked off the ball doesn't actually apply here.

As for comparisons to other short, light players who are successful in SPL or other physical leagues, I don't know if that is relevant. Some players are simply stronger at the same height and weight than Beasley is. This is something I have seen people say that he should work on for years...but the reality is that his physical attributes (including strength) are not likely to improve at this stage of his career. You take the good with the bad. He will be dangerous with his speed. He will be impressive with his movement off the ball. He will be a part of some very important goals in big games. He will be frustrating with some errant first touches and missed sitters. He will also get shoved to the ground with alarming frequency.

3. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  4. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/154693.html

51 min GOAL!!!!! THIS IS SENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!! Lyon 0 - 3 Rangers. Cousin spots Beasley one-on-one with Squillaci and welts the ball forward towards him. It's a great ball which lands at his feet, allowing the American to scoot clear towards Vercoutre, draw the keeper out, and side foot calmly into the bottom right corner of the net. He runs to the touchline and stands laughing hysterically, and no wonder. Lyon are awful. And Rangers are playing brilliantly. The Stade de Gerland is no longer deathly quiet; the whistles are deafening. Perrin out?

23 min: GOAL! Lyon 0 - 1 Rangers. And what a reward for Hutton's work, as Beasley delivers a brilliant ball from the right, straight onto the head of McCulloch, who powers the ball past the static Vercoutre. It sails above the head of Anderson on the line, but the ball was traveling so fast, he didn't even have time to jump. What a header, what a goal. This is suddenly a lot more interesting; game on.

6. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I say this all the time. I believe the most underrated attribute of Beasley's game is his tactical awareness. He makes great runs (that aren't always appreciated by his teammates) and contributes tremendously on defense.

Other examples: drawn penalties against China (friendly) and Canada (Gold Cup semis).