10/2 DMB: Lyon v Rangers (CL)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Hed7181, Oct 2, 2007.

1. deek_md

deek_md New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Orange County
    I couldnt agree more.. I remember in grade school, I was friends with this super slight kid named Shawn and he was picked on all the time. He was thin as a twig. He would get pushed down all the time and beat up. But you know what pissed the bullies off more than anything? He got up every time.. we would laugh and laugh about it.

DMB reminds me of Shawn a lot. If he can resist injuries, they should love the hell out of him in Ger-land.. He will get pushed down a lot, draw fouls, then pop up and put the smack on ya..

2. Gers101

Gers101 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Scotland

Rangers bought DMB from PSV Eindhoven for £700,000 on the 3 year contract.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Beaz is also a very under-rated defender. He does not look like he could defend, but he has super-quick feet and defends very very well. He rarely gets beaten.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet he gets the start and a goal

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Beaz was PSV's leading scorer in CL in the semi-final run a few years ago wasn't he? Not the least bit surprised that is doing well for Rangers.

6. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, it makes more sense in your circumstance with the roughness of the SPL and his slight build, to at least be somewhat skeptical (until proven otherwise), but I've seen Fulham fans claim that Clint Dempsey is lightweight, which is just inane. So anyway, yeah he will be thrown off the ball occasionally and will be the target of tough, often illegal tackles, but I think his attributes and willingness to bounce back up will far outweight that.

7. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    He will be a major asset in Champions League games. Even if he does get knocked off the ball in the SPL without a whistle being blown or a card shown, this will not necessarily apply against teams such as Lyon with non-SPL officials working the games.

8. USin2010

USin2010 New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Virginia
    I wanna say he scored four in the CL that season. (04/05)

9. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I recall Team Adu lobbying Celtic when they were coming to the States -- wee Gordie and Co apparently were not too interested

and speaking of wee ones and DMB -- correct me if I'm wrong, but, Russell Latapy has been enjoying a nice SPL career despite being on the small side (reportedly 5'7" and ~ 148 lbs) -- another CONCACAF product BTW

[​IMG]

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you say DaMarcus Beasley is the shit in Scottish? ;)

He's played so well for Rangers and he is fast becoming a fan favorite, I would imagine. It's the little things he does like drawing fouls, tracking back defensively, finding space and making a cutting run and or pass, that managers, fans, and players love. I couldn't be happier for him that he's made a splash at Rangers. I had a gut feeling it was going to be a perfect fit. Rangers has made a damn good start to group play in the so-called "group of death" and DMB has had a big hand in it. That just puts a big ass grin on my face though not as big a his after scoring.

BTW, Beasley has had, by far and away, the most successful career in European competitions and it can only get better!

11. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago

Just from perusing Rangers message boards over the past few months, he certainly hadn't become a fan favorite (prior to today at least), and there was actually some discontent in the fact that he's not what many fans consider a prototypical SPL winger, but I have no doubt that scoring and setting up goals in the Champions League will open many fans' eyes so that they can appreciate the many important (and often subtle) things he does during the game.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a contributing factor as to why he's underrated. He just grows on you, as you know. He's not a prototype, he's a rare bread because of those little things I mentioned that he does. They go unnoticed to the naked eye. Bad analogy but he's kinda like a good stout beer, you may shake your head in disgust first, but the more you drink the more you like it and the more you like it the better you feel! :D

13. taiko67

taiko67 New Member

May 14, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Agreed, but I've also found that Bears (much like BS posters) are very fickle. They only love you when your playing well. The same folks that were calling for DMB's head a week ago were singing his praises today. The same treatment applies to the whole team. Except maybe Barry Ferguesen. :p

14. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Against Rosenborg, very similar goal indeed. That's the way to use his speed, drop a ball behind the defenders. Very deadly.

[​IMG]

15. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    RUN DMB is showing his class and proving the doubters wrong with his Rangers performances. I've been a staunch supporter of his for a long time ; he's a popular whipping boy(esp during WC '06), but he's steadily improved into our most elite, experienced Nat Abroad field player, particularly on the strength of strong Champions League appearances.

He's turning out to be a game-changer for Rangers, the fans will eventually warm up to him if he keeps this up. I'm rooting for an SPL title for him and a deep CL run too.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://www.******************.com/?v=FV2S6US6

Decent quality here (but in Anglo-German ... if you listen carefully).

17. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Its not really like we only love players playing well, its just at Rangers the expectation levels are huge, especially in the SPL, so if you can't pull your weight their the fans will criticize you. Success is paramount and a must for Rangers, there is no alternative.

I want to make another point about the shots Lyon had, and that is that most were wide, and most were from 25+ yards, or outside the area.

This is one of the greatest results in Rangers history, and i'm glad Beasley took part. I thought he played very well and used his experience to his advantage, he seems more intelligent than most soccer players.

Beasley has this habit from what i've seen so far of turning up at the right place at the right time. Sometimes he wont play well consistently through a game, but will then produce a moment of brilliance, or luck and get Rangers a goal, or a penalty. Like his goal against Zeta, the penalty against Motherwell, and today's match. I noticed this even in some of the highlights i seen of him at PSV, he always seems to be in the right place.

I don't know if i'd give him man of the match in this game, but he did play very well, i think this game was more of a team effort.

18. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Exactly. He's proven John Terry is too lightweight to play in the BPL. Terry should go to Spain where he'll be protected from such physical play.

19. taiko67

taiko67 New Member

May 14, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Fair enough, but I'd say he seems to be in the right place a lot of the time because he is all over the place when he feels the need. It's not just luck, but hustle and pace. I don't think there were many in the squad who could have run on to that ball from Cousin (brilliant pass BTW). He didn't just will it onto his foot. Has done that for just about every team. See City vs Southampton, PSV v Rosenborg, now Rangers vs Lyon. Don't think its a fluke mate! I do agree that this was team effort, Awesome effort from the back 4 and Hemdani. Thus the 25 yard shots. :p

20. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Agree completely. Dempsey does have what cloudy described-- an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time. Beasley, otoh, gets there through industry. He runs his ass off, and when the situation presents itself, he pounces.

21. washtenaw

washtenaw New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Michigan
    Anyone know the details of the injury at the end of the CL match?

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question isn't so much can he take that in a single game, but can he take that if hes starting game in, game out, with European, Scottish Cup, and League matches. Playing a lot of minutes means hes going to be getting knocked down and have to get back up a lot, and that can have a cumulative affect if you aren't getting sufficient recovery time between games.

I think its a valid question if you better off using him game in game out, or as part of a rotation system to keep him fresh.

23. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    :eek:

You must be Joking? :DTerry plays through just about anything he's probably he bravest defender in the world.

Physically he's brilliant as well, Dempsey, for me has a wee bit of a mean streak about him, but perhaps he feel he needs to be like that to protect himself.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I believe that was a joke. And yes, Dempsey has a mean streak. He once beat the hell out of a team-mate at training- not like pushing, handbags, but like a real serious beating, blood gushing everywhere. Got him a 3 game suspension, but since the recipient of said beating was Joey Franchino, Rev fans totally were forgiving!

25. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    That may be our (BS posters) question. But the "lightweight" concerns of many Rangers fans is on an individual game basis. As for the former, Rangers seemingly have a decent-sized squad and I expect that they'll rotate to keep everyone (including Beas) as fresh as possible, though they do seem to be in the middle of a particularly tough stretch of games.