10/19 JOB: Ajax - TA Macabi (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Oct 19, 2004.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Thought I'd start a thread anyway. No line-ups posted yet.

According to the preview at www.uefa.com Galasek expected to be out with back problems, but vdVaart expected to play.

Leaves a possible spot for JOB at CM or LB. Ajax has not had much success without Galasek in the DCM spot it seems to me. JOB might be the answer.

Anyone got this on the tube and going to PBP?

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blue daddy is going to the game, so none from him.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I know. Like he never heard of a blackberry... Sheesh. You know, I think he just doesn't care.

No TV here. If I don't go to the bar for "lunch" I'll post the matchtracker updates. But I think I'm going to get hungry right about KO time.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    This is anotherMatchTracker I believe...from Eurosport.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SON OF A BATCH, he's not even on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone please fire that mother f'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, before my rant, I checked the UEFA website which had the lineups listed.

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    JOB hasn't played with the first team in how long?
    He's had how many full 90 minute games with the reserves?

Ajax is currently in last place in their group in the Champions League and desperately need a win today... not test a person's match fitness.
    Is it really suprising that he isn't featured today?

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Obodai at RM = lots of work for Trabelsi going forward. I haven't seen this guy play much, but it hasn't sounded like he's really made much of an impact... I'd rather see JOB there.

Don't know if moving Sneijder central will do much. This is one of the issues with Galasek out. None of Pienaar, Sneijder or VDV are really the kind of CM that Ajax' four-three-three needs and Obodai has played there, but Koeman doesn't seem convinced...

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Let me say, the kind of CM that Ajax needs against a tough, physical team like Heerenveen or Tel Aviv is supposed to be.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Who is the kind of CM they need?

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Ajax takes the early lead.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, considering that Sneijder just unleashed a shot that the keeper could only palm into Sonck's path for a fourth minute goal, I go with Sneijder right now.

Galasek played that position well the times I have seen him, and I think JOB would too. Sneijder and/or Pienaar (who I think played there Saturday, but I only read the report so I'm not sure) are both very forward thinking middies. Galasek and JOB can tackle and good positional sense on the defensive side, while still being able to distribute in extremely well.

Of course, if Ajax is just rolling over a team with six guys waving forward like the like to, you don't worry so much. But it didn't exactly work like that Saturday.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was wrong. Sneijder did play CM v. Heerenveen. (I thought it would be odd to puy Pienaar there, but I thought I had read that.) The other changes were De Jong to LB (He just scored, by the way, to make it 2-0 - from a CB spot) which moved Maxwell into LM since vdV was hurt. Escude started in the middle (and might be headed back to Ajax2) Obodai came in for Trabelsi late in the game. Meanwhile, Ajax needs to hold onto this 2-0 lead, or better yet open it wider. about 25 in, I think.

15. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    3-0, vdVaart.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    maxwell to Sonck with vdVaart cleaning up (per UEFA) 3-0 at 31 or so.

17. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    It looks like a perfect match to get JOB back on the pitch. He traveled didn't he?

Koeman sux.

18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you know Koeman is an avid YA thread reader? They are obviously saving JOB when they face DMB over the weekend

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not much travelling to do - at the ArenA. But he was reportedly healthy enough to play and he's gone 180 straight Ajax2 minutes plus another 90 or more before that -

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One question I have for true Ajax fans, was he included on the Ajax CL squad list at the beginning of the year? If he had a long term injury then it is possible that he may have been left off with the possibility of adding him at the second opportunity in the middle of the CL season.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    thats what I was going to ask. You only get 23 roster spots for each round of Champion's League. I doubt he was even on the roster. And if you look at the roster Hatem Trabelsi wasn't there either.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

huh? trabelsi played tonight... and yes, JOB is on the CL roster

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How was the game?

Your PBP was missed. UEFA matchtracker lacks a certain flair.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    its what I get for getting my info from sportinf life. either that or I'm dislexic. I'd go with option B considering how well I spell.

any insight as to why JOB never made the bench then?