1/6, Friendly, Adu: Monaco vs. Juventus 18:00 CET {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bolo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
  2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    ahh that. i thought there were comments after the Juve game.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ricardo is just a master tactician. he is secretly training freddy so that he can unleash him on the world sometime in march, as monaco push for a cl spot.

...or not.

i have said tho, that the only thing that makes sense to me is that monaco want to keep freddy quiet because they don't want to have to pay any significant $$ to benfica for him at the end of the loan. it's a loan with a purchase option at the end, and they see themselves making a huge profit if they can buy him cheaply from benfica and then let the rest of europe see his wizardry.

makes sense to me, altho i'm probably the only one.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any 'loan with an option to buy' would almost certainly have a price agreed to in advance

5. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    5,000,000 to my memory...may be wrong but that's the number I remember.

6. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006

The thing about point #2 is that how good is Fernando Torres defensively? I'm not trying to compare the two - my point is that in soccer you win if you score more than the other team. So Freddy may be worth -.25 goals a game defensively (I don't agree with that -just for arguments sake), but his offensive skills are far more positive than any hinderence to the defense.

He may be difficult to deal with in practice, but that's why they pay coaches/managers. They need to manage players/situations.

The dream situation for Freddy might actually be Villareal. Peligrini is not afraid to play youngsters and he keeps the ball on the ground. Villareal's style of play might be perfect for Freddy. Plus, he could pair up with Jozy. It will never happen, but I can dream. In a few years, who knows. It may not be a dream afterall.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    To be precise, I believe the purchase price was 5M Euro.

8. Wikiality

Wikiality Red Card

Jan 3, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Freddy grown? I think it was the camera angle, but he kinda looked big in that clip.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I am not if he got any taller, but I am certain that he put up a few extra pounds. His upper body definitely got bigger. During the Olympic games, I thought I was seeing Marvell Wynne playing up top.

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    How many games, starts, minutes played has Adu had with Monaco since beginning of year? (including cups + friendlies). Thanks.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He's been subbed in 9 times in league play, usually averaging around 10 minutes an appearance for a total of a little over 90 minutes. He also started one cup game against PSG and this last friendly against Juventus. In both he was subbed out fairly early in the second half.

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    He's subbed out early because he does not yet have the stamina to go a full 90. I think we've seen this with his Nat plays also, he's completely gassed out near the 80th minute.

13. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

OR he was simply one of the 15 players replaced by subs during this friendly..... :D

14. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally! someone's pronouncing it the right way...:eek: