08/27/02 Practice Notes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by entropy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    At least Hudson is second guessing the Lazo sub.

Also considering playing 3 forwards on Saturday against the E-Quakes, a very good decision if you ask me. We have the chance to win that game...

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great report Diceson!

Keep up the great work.

3. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    This is from Ray "we didn’t bunker in, we went forward " Tell me how playing with one forward is going forward? One shot on goal is goping forward?They didn't bunker in that's true but they really didn't go forward, just kind of messed around in midfield most of the time.

4. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Well, Q2, The Car Thief, and The Guy Who Should Have Gone To Business School will not make a particularly imposing group up top, but what the hell, something new and different. Can't be much worse than Sunday.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was rather refreshed by these comments:

"I said to them this morning, ‘This is it! I’m f------ telling you we’re not walking it and finessing it into goal. We’re getting it to players and I’m f------ demanding you f------ shoot. You’re hitting the f------ target!’ That’s what we’ve got to do. But you’d think it doesn’t have to be spelled out on the blackboard.”

Why haven't we demanded this from day 1?

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he is refering to the late second half where Prideuax and Reyes were pushing into the attack. Thus Nelson and Pope were caught alone on the counter attack in the 91st minute. We all know what happened at that point. :(

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    He was? I don't see that reference at all. It looked like he was talking about the game in general. Here's the expanded quote

You maintained most of the possession, but just one shot on goal. Are there guys who are just afraid to shoot?
    “The whole story of our team is right there. Sound at the back, possession game, which is my Fusion game – what we played - but we had Chacon and Serna. We had two goal scorers, players in a groove. And we had a real f------ heavy punch up top.”
    “This team simply does not have that all year. That’s why we’re at the s----- end of the stick. This was typical . . . a typical performance. I thought we played better in the past, but we still looked . . . we didn’t bunker in, we went forward . . . but, impotent up front. And I told them this morning, and if you’d been there you would have heard that’s exactly what I said.”

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I look to see if Hudson takes any responsibility for this debacle and, even more than Thomas Rongen last year, he doesn't.

He talks about how the team kept their shape in the game but he fails to recognize that the shape he put on them was all wrong.

He plays Olsen out of position then complains that benny couldn't get the job done against those "big" guys Petke and Jolley. If I were Benny, I'd sure be looking to go to England this off season again. Screw United. He only has one more year at most in MLS. No way will he sign a new contract.

The coach is a quack. If he were a doctor he'd be sued for malpractice.

9. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Too bad Ben will have to wait until January becuase of european transfer rules, but he probably won't qualify for a work permit due to his injuries.

As for Hudson he did admit ot maybe making a mistake putting is Lazo. He said maybe he should have put some one in with more speed, but no one else on the bench has speed so I'm not sure who the alternative could have been.

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    He's lamenting our lack of size up front. Well, there's a big surprise, huh? We keep on signing tiny little players, so of course they get lost in the big defenders. Duh! Why don't you get a player with some size instead of picking up 5 footers? With Tino and Moreno in there we do have a couple of bigger guys who can match up, but putting those little guys in there is useless.

11. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    it sounds like benny needs a hug.

i know that someone has mentioned it already but how big is Henry Z?

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I just find that his quote on Lazo just baffling. Owen, as you say, who was the alternative? There really was no alternative at d-mid so one guesses that Hudson is thinking vaguely that maybe, just maybe, he would have put someone in at a different position. Maybe, just maybe, he could have paired up Q2 with another bona fide forward and moved Olsen back to his true position. I'd even have taken Lassiter at that point as Roy could have done what Jaime did last week.

Okay. I'm just too pissed.....

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Henry is a smurf, 5'6" according to DC's website.

14. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    jeez, 5'6"?

i think hudson has a fetish for short soccer players.

15. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Actually, he can get a waiver for those games that he missed due to injury.

Bruce can tell the Dept. of Employment the Ben would have been chosen to play if not for the injury and they will count that in consideration for a work permit.

Its the same loophole that Mathis will use to get a work permit.

16. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I think Hudson has a fetish for getting the players that we can fit under our ridiculous cap.

And who knows whether we actually have Zambrano or not?

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    But it seems like they don't even attempt to get anyone bigger. Obviously we all know the cap situation is tight. But we're not paying players by the inch!

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe RFK needs a sign like the ones they have at Six Flags:

You need to be this high to wear this shirt and play on this pitch.

19. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    They can use that reasoning on the appeal but I think it would be a long shot that he would get approved on appeal. The Home Office has already ruled that Mathis would be elegible without an appeal for a work permit. Alex, the Brazilian born Japanese national teamer had his appeal rejected and he played in the World Cup, I think Olsen would have a tough time.

20. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Nice report!

My take is Ray took some blame, then rightfully passed some on. Sounds like the frustration is felt all around. Sounds like some serious house cleaning is coming up for everyone NOT on the back line.