'07 MLS Developmental Salary...$12,900.00!

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Keenan, Jan 23, 2007.

1. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Rommul's right. Not enough people give him credit for coining the term "the invisible hand", the discovery of the Americas (and by extension, the realization that the world is not flat) and the finding that lightning bolts are indeed made of electricity, nor any one of a number of commonly held, but usually unspoken, beliefs.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony!!
    The analogies aren't used because they're convenient. They're used because they're solid.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Yeah, but for so many people, it is. I don't see a lot of newbies here. This looks like Peter Griffin fighting the chicken -- just pummeling each other for sake of pummeling each other.

Might as well be talking about capping Michael Ricketts.

4. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Call me an optimist, but I think the arguments do get better over time. And unlike Ricketts, this is an issue that's far from decided.

And, well, I'm tired of talking about Seattle. There. I said it.

5. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we had to wait until he married NancyB for him to get capped?

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I think I understand what the other poster meant by rehash.

Yet another strawman. I don't see anyone saying they have any solutions. No one here is that pretentious. But quite a few people here like to discuss issues surrounding their favorite sport and apparently that bothers you but I can't tell why. Its almost as if you feel compelled to respond in confrontational manner to people who don't share your view but since you don't have anything substantive to add you feel the need to make up things to be upset about.

Another straw man argument. No one has said that we haven't improved. I did however say that improvement relative to yourself is not enough that was clear.

You have nothing to add and your making up things to rail against.

More strawman nonsense. I specifically stated we din't even need to produce players as good as other nations are producing right now to start to wittle away the gap. I never said anything about us needing to be the best right now.

Therefore all this

is just rephuntimg silliness that has nothing to with what anyone says.

Yet another example of you not reading what people say and just reflexively attacking people because they don't agree with your view.

Isn't that kind of a silly question when I clearly said they were better?

Then they went to the finals in 2006 I just love how you forgot that part. All progress is relative in this sport teams go up teams go down. The results in 2002 were indicative of our progress relative to the rest of the world as were the results in 2006.

7. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    In all seriousness is it all possible for to repsond to anything I say without 90% of it being a personall attack? You simply can't be that obsessive. There is no way I got into your head that fully.

8. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    If you had stated that clearly we would have no problem.

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I just love your ability to not only personalise this but also grandstand at the same time while trying to maintain a modicum of false modesty.

10. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    The word whose meaning superdave still fails to grasp.

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Its just a discussion. And most people like me haven't been involved in these threads primarily because its alway the same people jumping in on one side of the issue and pummeling the singular voices that have the temerity to not conform.

Thankfully I haven't had the pleasure of being on the recieviug end but some of those giving it out have seemed downright petty.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Jesus, the problem isn't your lack of conformity. It's that you're wrong.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Learn to read dave. I clearly said that I wasn't on the receiving end so my conformity or lack of conformity isn't an issue is it?

From one of your old sigs:

Read.
    Think.
    Post.

BTW what exactly am i wrong about?

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    It was a joke. If you can't laugh at yourself...

15. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    It was clearly a core piece of my argument. I may be wordy, dense and convoluted, but this time, the failure is yours, counselor.

16. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Then other people should laugh at me? Screw you!

:)

My apologies.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Convenient because so similar. But it's not like that was my only example.

And I agree that we may have a potential problem where that's true.

What I'm saying is that the real solution to the problem of creating talent would necessarily involve this ceasing to be true. If we had the lower levels where they needed to be, the reserve teams would be for warm bodies, rehab stints, and the evaluations aimed at finding the very small number of guys who may have slipped through the cracks.

Right now, though, the development structure in the US has gaps way too wide to be called 'cracks' and that's a big part of the reason there are actually decent players on Dev rosters.

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think we are in disagreement about anything here besides the AAA baseball analogy.

19. ag futbol

ag futbol New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Toronto
    It's great that MLB and NBA can keep the wages down of the young players but unfortunately we don't operate in such a vacuum.

MLS has to compete with other leagues. Want to keep the wages down? great just be prepared to see a lot less talent coming through the pipe.

Nobody's saying we have to pay them outrageous amounts, just enough to be reasonable. Otherwise even the half decent prospects are going to head to europe first. Last i checked, 12k a year is less than what a full-time fast food worker makes. Pathetic.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's $9 an hour, based on the actual hours worked. Probably a little better than fast food, though not exactly a fortune.

But I myself earned roughly that wage for an internship my first year out of college.