05/30/08 - MISL finally folded today

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by FutsalFan, May 30, 2008.

1. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    I apologize for not being clearer. I heard it was between the owners/reps anything solid on that?
    With the league just folding last week does that mean we have 2-3 more months of nothing?
    Maybe the rumor of only 8 home matches would be good for the teams. Less games means youth groups are doubled up and create more demand/need to purchase earlier. Then as the years go on and they add games it increases the chances that people continue to purchase earlier.

Does anyone know of any pics on the internet of the Baltimore Arena back in the 80's with a full crowd at the blast games? Something that captures the entire crowd.
    Thanks

2. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Orlando is out and about doing tryouts this month. Same stuff as last season... a few indoor places, mostly all outdoor fields.

3. blackiesan74

blackiesan74 New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Milan (Italy)
    Hi to you all! My name's Marco, I'm an Italian huge fan of indoor soccer, especially of the MISL and of Baltimore Blast.

I wandered arounf this forum and I haven't been able to find any news about what the former MISL teams are going to do next season?

Blast, Ignition, Wave, KiXX, Cougars, Sharks, Ironmen, Storm and La Raza: have they announced their plans or are they going to cease operations after the folding of the MISL?

Any chance to see them play in the PASL-Pro?

Thank you for the answers and sorry for my bad English

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew we had fans in Italy?

How do you follow the league, Marco?

5. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Kenn, may I remind you that the BALTIMORE BLAST have played lots of international friendlys dating back to the early '80s. May I also remind you that we have won 5 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. Therefore, we have set a certain standard in indoor soccer. Mr. Marco obviously have proper taste in his selection of soccer teams to follow. As a result surprise should not be the first though that comes to mind.

Since I am given you a history lesson, also note that the BALTIMORE BLAST have vanquished the San Diego Sockers, Cleveland Force, Milwaukee Wave, St. Louis Steamers. So far as brand recognition, we're probably not where Manchester United is, but as far as indoor soccer is concerned, we're at the top of the food chain. The very best that this sports has to offer!!!!

Almost 30 years of excellence and you're surprised.

SHAME

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't figured out how much of your stuff is schtick, PM, and how much is how you really feel. It was maddening before, but if I think it's mostly schtick, it makes me feel better.

7. Don't quote me here, but I heard recently from several coaches of (former?) MISL teams and business is pretty much as usual it seems... I didn't get any solid info, but they didn't seem worried about losing their jobs or anything. From what I can tell, the league may undergo some minor changes and restructuring (what's new), but the established teams will be back for sure. Some of the major parties involved have been out of the country on other business, so that may account for the delays in hearing anything. I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but I wouldn't worry about the MISL folding completely or anthing like that.

8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The MISL HAS folded completely and permanently. We'll just call the last 7 years the Dark Ages of indoor soccer. It's done. It's over. It won't be back in any form. It's teams will play on (at least 7 of the 9), but there will be a lot more than "minor changes."

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Rod Stewart will be kicking out balls to the crowd as usual at an upcoming concert, but with a twist -- you can redeem them for tickets to the Chicago Storm's home opener.

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Is that true? That would be pretty cool.

11. StormFire

StormFire Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chicago
    So who are the other two?

And is the "new MISL" champ still (as far as you have heard) going to wind up playing the PASL champ?

12. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    NSL, I'm starting to doubt that you know what you say you know. All I ever hear from you is how the PASL-Pro is the future of soccer. Well, all I've read is that this is nothing more than a rec league. I've been talking about brand recognition and PASL teams (save for the Cougars) doesn't have that. Explain to this board how in the world can this league in its present form start this fall.

NSL, you are very short on facts and details, but long on bashing the MISL. If the MISL and PASL-Pro doesn't merge, the PASL-Pro will not make it; not even in the high school gym they play in.

SHAME

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's at the Sears Center August 5, so, yeah, it would make sense.

14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    A. Pure comedy, thank you.

B. There is no MISL to bash. There is no MISL to merge with anything. I know the first step is denial, but you'll make it to bargaining, grief, and acceptance in no time.

15. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Why don't you just answer his questions? How will the glorious PASL-Pro be ready by the fall when promised deadlines have been passed over with NO WORD and you have 3 or 4 teams with info (barely)?

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

The Milwaukee Wave were gonna do the same thing too. Only they wanted Rod to kick balls not into the crowd, but directly at a small child to make her scared. Then the players would come on to the stage to laugh at the situation. Sensibly, Rod Stewart refused.

Lets face (sad) facts. Right now indoor soccers best hope is AISL or PASL Pro. Neither one of them are really tested or can be seen as Nirvana at this time. Lets give them a chance before we all pitch in and unleash a torrent of usual abuse at a game we love. Lets at least wait until PASL kicks a ball.

17. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
  18. Deveron

Deveron Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will any league at this point?

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  20. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Deveron, what, answers? The newspaper article posted elsewhere was the first inkling of anything MORE than any former MISL teams has posted/published/put to the media. I want them all to succeed, but get off your bleeping high horses...there is basically no news...oh and that piece of garbage website that the PASL has. I wish I could be paid to run a crap website and post 24/7 on bigsoccer.com. Must be nice. The PASL is GREAT!

21. StormFire

StormFire Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Come on - spill it...... :)

22. nickleback44

nickleback44 New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I know wsls is sucks to be a Blast fan right now I feel your pain. No Arena and no league. Go back and read all of Ed Hale's quotes in early June and now Ed Hale is as quiet as one can be. The Blast and the other MISL teams are in a big pickle and they don't know what to do.

I take this statement back, Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit know exactly what they are doing.......

23. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Speaking of denial, why don't you just admit you're happy the MISL and NPSL folded? Personally I think that you want your archaic view of soccer to go through, and if it doesn't you don't want indoor at all.

~CurryMan

24. Deveron

Deveron Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not on any horse of any stature. I don't get paid. I volunteer my time because I want indoor soccer to succeed (doesn't matter the league). I have my side, but I would support or take any side as needed by playing Devil's Advocate. But I don't need to here - there are plenty of you that fill in the role of the Devil just fine so there is no need for my advocation.

Right now there isn't much news from the PASL - this is true. The MISL 3.0 has even less. So really; right now the AISL is winning in that department.

While it may appear that I post 24/7, I do not. I currently work a 3rd shift computer job (no; nothing to do with the PASL) that runs Sun-Wed from 6PM - 6AM MST. So as I have time throughout the long and grueling 12 hour shift all by myself to read and post to pass my time when things aren't going wrong so I can fix them.

I don't find anything inherintly wrong with the new PASL website. They are using the same company (Demosphere) as the USL does. But I don't maintain it. I do maintain the Colorado Predators website (comments welcome) - again for free; just my operating expenses are reimbursed.

So there you go wsls9999 - you now know probably more about me than you want to or even should.

25. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    There has been a lot of noise on these boards with very little content exchanged. On that note, I will put in my two cents of speculation. Not always, but typically, strong teams and organizations survive multiple leagues in non-major sports. The Milwaukee Wave, the Blast/Spirit/Blast and the Philadelphia Kixx are three such examples. The fact that these teams are all doing business as usual and keeping their organizations in place makes it easier for me to believe that they will disclose their plans when everything is in place and go forward with championship seasons in the future. If they were not convinced that they were going forward, why are they not cutting support staff? Why do they still answer the phones, e-mails, sell tickets and plan promotions? If anyone were to look at this situation objectively you would have to ask that if they were folding the teams, why not just say so, why keep everyone on the payroll, the camps are for the most part over and the administartive needs for a soccer camp are pretty simple, there is no reason to have more than one person in the office. I am not bashing the PASL-Pro or any other league, so will the usual suspects please keep your snide and disrespectful retorts to yourself. I have been in business for a long time and the former MISL franchises are not acting like they are closing up shop. Information about this coming season is not coming out significantly slower or faster than any other year in recent memory.