03/30: Mr. Hyndman Goes to Washington: DC vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dudeman22

dudeman22 Member

May 19, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was... interesting.

2. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Hernandez red card = stupid.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to strongly suggest to Daniel Hernandez that he start thinking a bit more about his role as assistant coach.

4. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where has Brek Shea gone? I don't think I've seen him since maybe August.

Fox 4 news is showing highlights: "Blaze Perez" had a goal.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"What can I say about our performance that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? It looked bombed-out and depleted."

6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I found the center to be inconsistent and often poorly positioned, and the ARs both had some howlers, often because they were either behind the play or were ballwatching rather than game-watching. I cringed every time a player was offside, because odds were even that the AR wouldn't call it. Most of the ones they DID call looked hesitant.

But hey, for MLS that's nearly a top tier officiating performance, I guess.

7. JPB4

JPB4 Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jair was useless and he should be benched for his loafing on the 2nd (or 3rd) goal, nice of him to make an effort once he realized how badly his loafing was about to give up an easy goal.

I think coming into this game DC had scored one goal. Ugh.

Brek looked very tired and hopefully will be back to form next game, Rodriguez as well, he should be our starting left back when the team is complete and fully healthy.

With a fit DF10 and Castillo and rested Shea we are one of the top teams in MLS. Without, we are just an avg MLS side.

Love Henandez fight and effort but quickly becoming apparent he may have stayed one season too many. I think Jacobson can fill his role in the future, he certainly offers very little in the final 3rd but I think can be a very effective defensive MF.

Until DF10 gets back would like to see 442 with some help up top for Blas, we simply are not creating enough chances. This does not mean roll Luna out there. Maybe put Shea up top with Rodriguez and Leyva on the wings.

Early days, we still make the playoffs, even if just in the 5 hole.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What pisses me off about this game more than the scoreline is the damn giveaways. We gave the ball away more than Drew Carey glasses in 2009.

Love how Maicon Santos can't get out of his own way with us last season and now he's Robben Van Persie out there.

This team needs to forget about DF10 coming back this season, get the rest healthy and ready to go. Hernandez doesn't need to be starting every game. He adds nothing and is just a liability.

It's still early in the season, no need to panic yet but Thursday is a "must win" early season game. Need to get these guys back in the winning mode.

Now for some notes on the NBC broadcast: This was my first time watching a game beginning to end on the network and I must say I love the picture and sound. They get some great field noise on their microphones (almost too good with all the potty mouths). I was a little disappointed though, I thought I'd be watching DCU vs FCD, not a 2 hour verbal BJ of Osama bin Rosario.

9. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how quickly FCD went from being the fastest team in MLS to one of the slowest.
    No speed and no goons= MLS weakness

1 person likes this.
  10. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about our lack of team speed and DH being player coach minus the player role.

I would be fine if we rest Brek next game just on principle. Get John back in the lineup and start Leyva again.

This team needs energy on the field. We looked like a team playing out the string at the end of a long MLS season last night, and it's still not April.

Time to flex our South American waiver wire muscles again.

11. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game could have been 8-1 without an amazing performance by Kevin.

Benitez is not playing like his old self and needs to ride the pine.

Our team looked rusty last night and part of it is due to Olympic call-ups, etc., so we have to just get beyond all of that.

We are obviously missing DF but I also think we are missing Castillo more than any of us would have anticipated.

Something went horribly wrong with the goal by Cruz -- he had NO ONE on him and could have easily walked that goal in. Someone blew a coverage.

Santos? WTF -- Totally useless while he is with FCD; looks like the 2nd coming of Diaz Arce last night. I think it's a fluke. Bet he doesn't score again for 5 more games.

I agree with those that think Daniel needs to focus on coaching and we need to relegate him as far as playing time. We all know he lacks speed, and at some time this is going to be a big liability.

Blas continues to impress and so does Villar. This defeat had nothing to do with the quality of play from either of them. These guys are all over the pitch making good judgments.

Jacobsen stepped up a notch last night and showed signs that he will shortly be back on form. I think he is the key to this team moving forward.

I trust the Bus Driver to correct the flaws that were exposed last night.
    Sometimes you need a stinker like this to magnify what needs immediate attention so that you take corrective action ASAP.

...And to their credit, DC wasn't half bad last night... They played like I would have expected a Ben Olsen-coached team to play -- with tenacity.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ihemulu was a nightmare in the 2nd half. Catastrophically poor.

13. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    time for the 4-4-2 if we arent going to have ferreira out there. i am cool with AJ or a converted defender (GJ or Loyd) and Villar in the center. Let's get C-Rod and Benitez on the left side and push Brek up top. Time to score some f--king goals.

14. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    he's capable of brainfarts for sure. while the best athlete of all our defenders, he is also the least tactically aware. usually he is serviceable at reading the game and his athleticism lets him seem above average to good. when he is not reading the game, well you saw what happened.

15. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Pertuz wasn't too much better when he was under pressure. A few terrible plays/decisions spoiled an other wise solid performance.

Loyd would've had another great night had he some decent boots on.
    Hes really turned into a consistently good player, I remember when he used to be all over the board week to week. Progress.

Agree Jacobson stepped his game up today, more please.

Villar continues to put in work, Ive been a fan since day 1. Some of you though Cruz would take his job (smh)

We need our general John back at CB at minimum but (as noted on other threads) with him at DM we no doubt field our strongest lineup (read: all your best players on the field and in their natural positions), I hope Schellas has a moment of clarity regarding this.

Leyva will be a starter and a difference maker in this league within a year or two...for now I look forward to seeing him play the Avila role . The kid has got "it" it is my personal opinion that "it" is what our other popular homegrown lacks despite his reserve league scoring prowess -(activate flame shield)-

Perez is the shiz. Period. Scary to think what he and DF could do with Castillo and Shea...but Ill be happy to see the magic he can make with Villar and the boys.

and lastly...Shea
    The kid needs to be consistent. As it stands now Shea's bad days have outnumbered his good days 2.5/3-1 over the last 2 years. He been getting a pass because
    1. when he's on he's awesome &
    2. He always had tired legs
    But that pass has now expired with our Olympic /CCL hopes. I also have a hunch he could have fallen a little on Klinnsmans depth chart so he should be fresh and ready.
    Scores of people over the last year who otherwise wouldnt give a shit about FCD tune into Dallas games just to see him...I hope he can give them a reason to watch again.

16. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Thanks Rex

Aug 1, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Didn't watch the game (hockey playoff game at the same time), and don't plan to. Just wanted to mention that being without Hernandez next game could be a blessing in disguise - his lack of mobility really hasn't been doing us any favors so far this season.

17. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Only if coach gets creative. Just putting in Warshaw is not likely to be an improvement no matter how bad Hernandez knees are.

18. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Hernandez and Benitez have done nothing to warrant inclusion in a starting lineup.

Here's what it should be as of now, when all are healthy (I won't include DF, as his short- and long-term health are up in the air):

-----------Perez-----------
    ---------------------------
    Shea-------Villar-------Castillo
    --------Loyd--Jacobson----
    --------------------------
    Rodriguez-Pertuz-John-Ihemelu
    ----------------------------
    ----------Hartman---------

And although his defense hasn't helped him often, I feel like Hartman's decision making has been sub-par.

19. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benitez has been a liability since last season. He would play tap tap with DF but with him gone it's all long balls.
    Bus driver may have to many loose nuts to keep the wheels on this season.
    Speaking from destroyed fibula experience I sadly say its time to cut ties with DF. FCD has too much tied up in him. I'm sure the MLS contract would make it possible.

20. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goals were not really on Hartman, as opposed to the KC game, where all goals were scored due to basic mistakes. Southill could not have stopped Santos's first.

"Revenge mode" never works in soccer; it is to difficult a game. Two goals and an assist as a fluke, yes, I could believe that. I also suspect strongly that the ex Forest man can get a lot more out of his players than Bus Coach For Life. Certainly a tradition in the East Midlands. Perhaps now in Mid Atlantic, as well.

Poor teams get results against FCD. That will be a theme of this season.

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Diabolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

Forever in horns.

21. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching LA vs NE right now and can not stop thinking why we do not have possession oriented game with short connecting passes in the final third :mad: .

22. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    So what lessons exactly did SH learn from last season, as he so proudly proclaimed in the preseason? He continues to run out a formation that doesn't suit the current best available players; he uses guys who just played 3 games in 5 days as starters to make it 4 games in 8 days; he uses two defensive midfielders who turn the ball over over 3/4 of the time; he uses a left back who continues to show nothing but a Jackson level of desire and smarts; and plays a forward all by himself to get killed by 4 defenders for 90 mins. The team looks awful but I think the coaching has been worse. Brek and Carlos should have been on the bench plain and simple. The depth in the middle was an issue last year, so they don't bring any a single new player to fix it? Shocking they would continue to get killed every week.

1 person likes this.
  23. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WARNING.

Don't be too shocked when you see the exact same formation on Thursday with the exception of Warshaw for Hernandez.

Unless of course Castillo is going to play. But who really knows when a player will return from injury with this team.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sorry...........don't see Schellas moving Loyd to the midfield. Zach is a USMNT-pool fullback. Keep him there!!!!

We all keep trying to shoehorn our three central defenders into the starting lineup. I think it just makes us weaker at multiple positions to do what you're suggesting................(right back and central mid). I'd rather start Guarda, Ulloa, Warshaw etc. in the midfield than move Loyd somewhere he hasn't played in quite a long time. If we're not actually going to use any of these players, what's the point of having them on the roster? They're on the roster for just these kinds of circumstances.

25. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be singing a lot of Bananarama this summer because it surely will be cruel to us.