€'s No Good? What About 45 Million Other "Values" In Life? - Madrid Transfers & Rooster Tails Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by YOUNGSTARS87, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Re: €'s No Good? What About 45 Million Other "Values" In Life? - Madrid Transfers & Rooster Tails Th

For January for the 2012/13 season? :confused:

Not that I believe it's true for a minute, but why would we be wanting to sign him in January whenever he'll be rendered ineligible by playing for Porto in the group stages?

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Re: €'s No Good? What About 45 Million Other "Values" In Life? - Madrid Transfers & Rooster Tails Th

It doesn't make sense. Maybe trying to drive up the price on Atletico. :D

3. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This article sounds like the work of dmar. :D

4. Benz09

Benz09 Member

Apr 11, 2011
    With your mom
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I found that article quite funny, as his club doesn't want him, neither do we and nor do Barca. As Special 1 tv would say 'Stop pimping yourself' Arshavenvagina.

5. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004

I now see Neymar's massive marketing ability because I can identify with him. I too like being free in the countryside.

6. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005

Left out the part about your new rooster hair style, eh 9Qui?

7. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

I am surprised how much heat we're taking stateside for signing that 7yr old argie. It was on PTI with Wilbon saying how he's disgusted, Plaschke of the LA Times is crushing us for it calling it exploitative.

I am glad footy is being discussed but i don't get why the reaction is so negative. Its not like we are snatching the kid away from his family village in Argentina and bringing him kicking and screaming to toil in our football academy. The lad's family already lives in Madrid and the kid moved to Spain when he was 3.

Is this just ignorance (Plaschke wrote: "Europeans often accuse American sports of being brutish and ego-driven, but what is more exploitive than signing a child to an adult contract with all of its adult pressures? Heck, the NBA, which many consider the most loutish of leagues, won’t even accept players until a year after high school.

No, this is not like USC offering a scholarship to a 13-year-old quarterback, because the kid stays in school, and the commitment is not binding. And no, this is not like the legion of young American gymnasts and tennis players who are sent off to sports academies while they are still wearing pull-ups. The kids are not paid to play, and all the pressure comes from the parents who do the paying.") or am i missing something?

8. -Reivax-

-Reivax- Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Seriously, this :D

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto

It's just ignorance. People need something to talk about, and few take the time to do their research before opening up their mouth to speak about a topic they have no knowledge of.

10. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004

Toothbrush heads are in. :mad:

It's just ignorance. I doubt most people knew he already lived in Madrid. And have we even signed him? I mean, he can't sign a contract.

11. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

No doubt.

With the NBA lockout and the mad scramble NFL free agency now over there is a bit of a lull in sports events. Pages and air waves need to be filled. Talk about Klinsi and his new job instead of talking about things you know little about.

I am glad to see footy get a lot of space/time on ESPN but they have to hire people who know what they're talking about instead of Micheal Wilbon and Bill Simmons (with his weird mustache) mouthing off about a Real Madrid benjamin signing.

12. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005

Admit it, you even where the same earrings!

This.

From what I heard most found out he was actually living in Madrid AFTER they wrote their articles and raged in front of cameras.

13. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto

Here in Canada, they just bring in previous Canadian NT players (limited knowledge of European football in general) or any British/Irish/Scottish (i.e. any guy with an accent) guy off the street since it's assumed they'd have some sort of "soccer" knowledge. Plus, those guys can talk for hours... :D

14. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

He won't be getting paid anything other than travel expenses but even that had folks raging.

Juan Traipador who is the spokesman for the academy said this about him,

He was also asked if he was the youngest kid to ever "sign" with Madrid and he said no, although he couldn't remember anyone younger.

The little dude looks super excited though. :)

[​IMG]

15. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004

Yeah, I was just gonna post that. Another thing to note is that he has an older brother playing in Valladolid.

I don't see the problem. He was in Madrid anyway. He can't sign a professional contract. He isn't getting payed. What he did really was just to move to our youth team from across town. I'm sure many youngsters move to better teams to grow further, have better training with better coaches, to play against better opposition and to ultimately be a better player. Coira isn't the first to do that and he's not the last and it's not even worth mentioning him for doing so. The only way this is getting so much publicity is because the media is portraying it as if we poached him from Argentina to make it sound like exploitation.

16. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

^^ looks like a young steve perry :D

17. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

@Qui: True.

I read about his brother and how he was the reason the family moved to Madrid. I also read somewhere that his dad said that they looked at both Atleti and our youth setup and little Leonel liked ours better and his parents also thought ours would be the best place for him.

18. trts

trts Member+

Feb 3, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid

As someone that lives in the States, I can assure you that most people here don't know even know that most European clubs have youth systems. A friend of mine, who doesn't follow soccer, told me about this and he actually thought that this 7 year old kid will start practicing with the Real Madrid senior squad! There's a complete lack of knowledge regarding how sports is organized in Europe.

I think there's a concerted effort in America, done by the media, to discredit soccer as much as possible. The three most popular sports in America are advertising machines, with constant breaks in action. It's also perfect for the average viewer with a short attention span. Soccer just doesn't provide that type of viewing experience and advertising potential, and it's very nuanced lacking the statistical overkill of baseball and football.

19. Kasoul

Kasoul Member

Oct 18, 2006

Your friend is stupid.

:p

20. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007

On Redcafe, A Manchester United Forum, they seem to be under the impression that this 7 year old kid is getting £50.000 PER WEEK. So yeah...........

21. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004

LOL, that's €3M a year. We have players in our first team who don't make that. :rolleyes: :D

22. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007

Isn't one of the stipulations of the signing that his family is being errr "taken care of.."? That was the big add-on on SportsCenter stateside where it was getting a lot of coverage. If it's true that little side benefit really irks sports purists if you will here in the US.

23. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004

I haven't seen that reported but even if true neither that would make him the first or the last and it's still not worth mentioning.

24. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

That is bullsh*t. I dug up a few article about this to provide the authors with some constructive criticism. I did nothing because they were all getting torn new ones in different blogs. Inaccurate, irresponsible reporting. Pissed me the f off. Clowns.

25. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007

In the US it's significant though because we're not used to this sort of thing. Pay-to-play is our MO for most team sports, so this kid would never even have had a chance here most likely unless he had some sort of wealthy benefactor or something.