¡Hala Juve! - The 2018-2019 Other Players (and Teams) thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Actually, Sport claims that LaLiga are seriously considering allowing Leganes permission to replace him.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol Infinite loop.

The stupidity of the rule really comes out in this particular case because Barca weren't even hit with any major injury crisis. One guy got injured. Their forward shortage is 80% Barca's own fault. How many forwards are on loan elsewhere or recently sold? 5, 6? smh

evil_allan repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Dembele and Suarez. Then again, was Dembele was ever on the team ? So I see your point ...

4. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leipzig might be kicking themselves later for these missed chances/opportunities for an away goal or two.

5. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT

Spurs 0-0 Leipzig

Yellows
    TOT: Lo Celso
    RBL: Sabitzer, Werner

Atalanta 2-0 Valencia
    Hateboer 16'
    Ilicic 42'

Yellows - None

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, if our transfer strategy for this past January was based on the assumption that Dembele would be healthy for the 2nd half of this season, then that would have been the dumbest part of the strategy (which is saying something).

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Someone probably mentioned it before and I missed it, but didn't realize Atalanta are playing home UCL matches at the San Siro, 60 miles from Bergamo. I'm guessing their own ground not up to UEFA standards.

ShortyMac repped this.
  8. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Tottenham playing with no Kane or Son. Very little firepower up front. They can't rely on Lucas Moura to score hat tricks...

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I bet their replacement scores more than ours ;)

10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    57' 0-1 to Leipzig. Werner PK.

Also 57' 3-0 to Atalanta. Freuler.

11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Lloris with a great save. Werner is such a smart player. Never watched him but his demeanor reminds me of Thomas Muller. He probably has more raw talent though.

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Atalanta! :eek:

ShortyMac repped this.
  13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bulldozing Valencia. 4-0.

14. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1...Cheryshev.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If Valencia can get one more they are totally back in it.

16. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT

Spurs 0-1 Leipzig

Atalanta 4-1 Valencia

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still on track for 0 La Liga teams in the semis.

18. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    ^ Still on track for 0 La Liga teams in the quarters. LOL

I told you all it could happen.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Did anyone disagree with you though?

What would be more surprising is if 0 or 1 English teams reach the quarterfinals. We're a looong way from that, I realize, but certainly possible to see it happening (at least the scenario that just 1 advance past this round).

20. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #4920 Jpows, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Nah, using two or maybe three games in order to skew the argument your way isn’t how things work.

My sample size is much bigger and therefore the better way to make a judgement. Plenty of Suarez’ goals come from goal fests. Look it up. They’re always welcome but not exactly season-defining moments. Games where we drop points partially because he goes missing or tends to miss easier goals are too easily overlooked.

The top forwards in Europe list by Squawka is also factual. It’s based on per minute goal involvement, that’s goals and assists as well as level of impact in the respective team’s title aspirations. No Suarez to be seen. Those are also facts.

Funny you should mention “in general” cause in general Suarez has simply been bad in CL in terms of being a productive number 9. Unless you take a convenient sample size that is. Another fact.

Anyway, this is the last time I get drawn into a back and forth about Suarez. The facts are there, believe whatever you feel like you need to.

Funny thing is that this makes me seem like I don’t rate Suarez at all, which is not true. I do rate him, I just don’t believe him being healthy would have been season-defining. Sorry. Our problems run deeper than that.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Werner looked a real good player ... he did a fabulous dummy in the spurs penalty box - pure class

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The truth is, everyone's stats are just better in goal fests.

If you exclude games that Barca scored 4 or more goals in this season, the entire team has only 22 goals in games Suarez played. Suarez scored 8 of those 22 goals. 5 out of 15 in La Liga and 3 out of 7 CL goals.

So now we're talking about a full set of data.

Not sure why you're getting so upset. It's a discussion.

23. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Lmao, who says I’m upset? Wouldn’t it get tedious for you having to rehash the same thing over and over again? That’s just it, I’m done doing that, simple as. It’s a pointless discussion cause everyone will look at the argument however they want to.

Also, I think a goal fest consists of a game where a team wins by 3 or more goals. If you take that into consideration Suarez has scored a total of 7 goals in goal fests this season. Take that sum off his total of 11 league goals this season that’s 4 goals left in “non goal fests”.

Again, you can choose to twist and turn the facts however you see fit. Maybe even I’m guilty of that in your eyes cause you consider a goal fest 4 or more goals.

It’s just a pointless discussion. At the end of the day that Squawka list is all you need to know where Suarez stands and that obviously is tough for some to accept.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Suarez La Liga this season:

Away goal to Getafe in 2 x 0 Win. They are 3rd.
    First goal in Win vs Sevilla
    Away goal vs Leganes in tight 2 x 1 Win.
    Assist to Messi in late winning goal vs Atletico
    1 goal in away draw vs Sociedad.
    1 goal in away draw vs Espanyol.

So no ... Suarez is not only scoring in blowout games. Some pretty important contributions for points this season. 5 of 11 goals important here not mentioning goals to put Valencia game out of reach which is always important with our current team.

25. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Please don’t put words in my mouth. I never said Suarez ONLY scored in blowouts. Try reading again.