Dynamo Reserves 2007 Thread [Rs]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Mar 12, 2007.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the MLS Underground site, the reserve league schedule is out for 2007. There's nothing official yet at MLSnet.com.

Last year, the Dynamo reserve games were usually played at Robertson on the Sunday following a Saturday game at about 10:00 am. Admission was free.

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Reserve League Schedule for 2007

I wanted to go to those last year. Now I can certainly go. Would be great to see our soon-to-be stars playing. :D

3. robbzipp

robbzipp New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Spring, Texas, USA
    Re: MLS Reserve League Schedule for 2007

Thanks for posting the info, Anderson! It looks like I'll only be able to make it to two, thanks to my craptacular work schedule. WOOHOO!

4. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo Reserves 2007 Thread [R for various reserve games]

I checked and found the schedule posted for the reserve matches.
    http://houston.mlsnet.com/mls/reserve

There was talk today at the Mezz. about supporting the Reserves more this season.
    I agree. I would like to see more us going with drums and hoarse voices and support them as well.
    I have no life beyond futbol so why not?:D

What say you???

5. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Reserves Schedule Is Out

Anderson started a thread on this a couple wks ago, when the MLS Underground blog leaked the reserve schedule:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497317

Looks like the leaker got it right, at least checking the Houston schedule - here's just the Dynamo reserve schedule (btw, although they list all those 10 am times as ET on the MLS website, I suspect they'll be local time):

Sun, 4/15 Chivas 10 am
    Sun, 4/22 @ NYRB 10 am
    Sun, 5/6 @ Colo 10 am
    Sun, 5/27 @ DC 10 am
    Sun, 6/3 FCD 6:30 pm
    Mon, 7/16 Tor 10 am
    Sun, 7/22 @ NE 6:30 pm
    Sun, 8/5 @ RSL 10 am
    Sun, 9/2 KC 10 am
    Sun, 9/9 RSL 10 am
    Sun, 9/30 @ FCD 5:30 pm
    Sun, 10/7 LA 5:30 pm

6. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On what level of US Soccer (USL1,2,PDL) would you equate the Reserve squads?

And why do they only play each other? Wouldn't it make more sense to have say a San Antonio Dynamo Reserves, FC Oklahoma City Reserves in the PDL (if that's where you slot them) with the Austin Lightning, Baton Rouge Capitals, DFW Tornados, El Paso Patriots, Laredo Heat, Mississippi Brilla & New Orleans Shell Shockers?

Seems like it would be good for the reserve players to get in more games both as they familiarize themselves with the Dynamo system & building match fitness for the move to the big squad.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cuz the reserve players would miss the shared training dates with the first team guys.

When that happens, the call ups to the bench or even Starting XI gets dented cuz Dom wouldn't know how confident he can be in this reserve player. Could he gel with the Starters???

Reserve fixtures are, correct me here, played the day after the MLS fixture. Thus the Reserves travel with the first team and thus there is even more harmony for the reserves to watch the first team and vice versa. If the USL spot was used then the reserves could go several weeks without taking in the MLS fixtures. Then there could be fixture congestion and travel congestion.

Other than that off the top of my head I would agree that the reserves need more matches and perhaps our FO would want the Reserves to play the USL circuit to these Texas and LA cities to grow our Dynamo footprint. That's what I would do.

8. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston

You are correct, for the most part the Reserves play the day after the MLS match, normally at 10am. Once in a while the Reserves play a "doubleheader" right after the MLS match.

It seems in reading some of the other MLS team sites (particularly DC United, Dallas, and LA Galaxy) that they get additional matches against local colleges or other clubs for their reserves to augment the official MLS Reserve schedule. I don't think Houston has done that; it may be partly due to the fact that Dom has kept a relatively light reserve roster (he can have 10 guys on developmental contracts, for a total of 28 guys, and last year I think he only had 25 or 26 total). Or it may be just because nobody in Houston had the time last year to worry about the Reserves, with it being the first year in Houston and all.

I remember hearing that when the team was the San Jose Earthquakes, a couple of the developmental players were loaned out to USL squads (as was Martin Hutton for a while last year) just to get more playing time. Roger Levesque was loaned out for a full year, and Kevin Godlthwaite was loaned out for about 2 months. But the problem with loaning them out is that they are gone for several weeks at a time, can't train with the Dynamo, and are not available to play in a match if needed.

I have not watched a lot of USL matches, but I've seen 15 or so of them. I watched all of the Houston home matches last year, and I would say that the quality of the Reserve play at the end of the year was higher than that in USL. At the beginning of the year, it was significantly lower, as there were quite a few guys out there who were really just learning to play with each other and to play at this level. By the last few matches, though, the teams were really playing some decent quality soccer. The quality from match to match can vary significantly, depending on injuries, since there is no real depth to the Reserve team. Some teams have to call in and use "guest players" extensively during the year and that really deteriorates the games.

Would be interested in what others think who saw the matches last year.

9. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

I was a guest player last year-right Ludicrous....well we I was going to start warming up-but John looked pretty hyped and I thought he might kick my ass. My goal this year is to have Ludicrous and I sit at the scores table and look offical.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

If we show up with some nice polo shirts and clipboards we can pull it off.

11. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Metroag, Rene,Do you have any stats on Jordan James the new GK in the reserves? Maybe Zola has so info he can share. Surely he will get some playing time this season and I was wondering if he is quality..

12. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well after we roast some goats on Saturday night. Who is up for some Gabrito tacos at the Reserves Game Sunday morning? I am there with the hot sauce.:D

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the reminder! These games were a lot of fun last year. You can see what some of the younger players can do and last year it was free admission. You can sit right behind the bench and hear Spencer's commentary to the refs.

They didn't use the scoreboard, so you may need to bring a print out of the roster so you know who's playing. You may also want to stop by McD's or somewhere on the way in and pick up some grub, as concessions weren't open last year either. I usually just drove through McD's on the way in (there's one on Elgin and one on OST near the stadium) and enjoyed my delicious McBiscuit at the game.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I might be there, since I plan on spending my Sundays at UH anyways.

<Edit>
    Btw mods, can we get an R/NDR on this thread, so we can post results of Reserve games, at some point?

15. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Reserves 2007 Thread [R for various reserve games]

Dave, I knew someone had posted a blurb about Jordan James in the media coverage thread when we signed him, here it is:

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=pp&action=show&id=36394

I'm not sure if we'll see Zach or James in goal in this reserve match, since Pat seems to be first team keeper again.

17. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For a USL Second divisioner.with 8 shutouts and 84 saves last year. I would say he is Star quality. I would like to see him in action this year in the Reserves.
    Thanks, Donald for posting that link.

18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's safe to say however that we all agree that 12 matches as a reserve schedule is entirely inadequate and that they need to do something to get those players more time on the pitch in competitive situations.

I agree with Veruca about having them in a league of some sort to get more matches but see CeltTexan's point about having them available for call ups if Dom ever needed a player.

There's got to be a medium there but again, they've got to get more matches under their belts. I'll be curious to see what they come up with. If I were a reserve player, I'd be a bit miffed about only playing 12 games that's for sure.

19. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A lot of the reserves practice with the starters every day on the pitch. And I agree that they need to play more in mam on man playing time. Wait!!that did not sound right.:eek:

I think they need to get more on field action in a scrimmage of some knid.

20. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So if instead of the San Antonio Dynamo Reserves it was the Sugar Land or Pearland Dynamo Reserves, and instead of FC Oklahoma City Reserves it was the FC Frisco Reserves, then would people be happy?

I personally think that the reserves could play anywhere & still be able to practice in Houston, but if they were housed at the "A" field at the Practice Facility they could practice with the big team & host matches against the other PDL teams.

21. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A few of us are gonna make it the Reserve match today, to show some support for these guys too.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

April 15, 2007
    Reserve Dynamo 2-0 Chivas Reserves

Wondo (who else?) gets the goals. Stewie wore the Captain's armband.

I'm sure others will post more details.

It was nice to see Waibel and Barrett out to support the reserves this morning. Moreno was also there working out with the reserves before their game.

23. GKDAD

GKDAD BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 8, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dynamo Reserves 2 Goats Reserves 0 :D

Great job Wondo on the two goals (on put backs)!

Well done Zach on the clean sheet!

Corey Ashe might be the smallest guy on the field but he is FAST!

The boys looked good and it was clear to me that the Dynamo have some depth that will be needed during the summer call-ups, etc.

Here's how we started out:

------------------Wells----------------------
    --Chabala---Cochrane---Ianni---Goldthwaite--
    ------Hayden---Holden---Hatzke---Ashe------
    -----Sambursky--------Wondolowski----------

Hayden got subbed out in the second half but I couldn't tell you who came in. :eek:

24. GKDAD

GKDAD BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 8, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gray was there and Chingy was in the stands later on.

Spencer lead the team but the Dom was present as well.

25. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Houston Reserves 2, Chivas USA Reserves 0

you'll never guess who had the two Houston goals:

Wondolowski 47, 77

Houston:
    Wells
    Goldthwaite, Ianni, Cochrane, Chabala
    Ashe, Hatzke, Hayden (Ustruck 60), Holden (c)
    Sambursky, Wondo

Chivas:
    Burpo
    Robles, Burling, Brooks, Hernandez
    Borja (Corona 57), Solorzano, Lopez (Sethi 46), Cunliffe (Arvizu 84)
    Merlin (Hamilton 67), Taylor

I wasn't covering the game to write a report, was just there to see what the rooks looked like in a game and shoot the breeze w/some TA people. In attendance: newtex, Dr. L, galaxykat, El Naranja, Anderson, Dynamo Dave, Mrs. Mebrian.

Wondo's first goal came off a play down the left wing, Ashe passed to Goldthwaite, whose cross or shot (we weren't sure which) was only punched away by Burpo, right onto the head of Wondo, who nodded it into the right side of the goal.

Second goal, didn't see who fed in a FK from the right side, believe it was Goldthwaite, Wondo cutting into box and got it right at the doorstep at the right post, collected and shot it in. All the guy does is score goals...

It was nice that Wondo's aunt was again there from Calif. Mrs. Mebrian said she was at the reserve matches a lot last year too.

so, sitting right behind the bench there in 104, turns out we can easily be heard by the guys on the bench. At one point in the second half, El Naranja was loudly pointing out that Goldthwaite was wide open. Then we heard John Spencer say, "So is 7-11, but that doesn't mean you should go there all the time." He told you, Kyle!

I'll be back later w/a few other notes...