Zypern:Deutschland 15.11.06 Euro 08 Qualifikation [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    has kiessling only scored one goal?

maybe he meant that kiessling's overall play will fit into the national team well.
    and that he is confident that he will find better goalscoring form soon too...

there's more to being a good striker than just the goals.. (eg. klose sets up as much as he scores, and works extremely well off the ball by manipulating the defence with runs)

thats the theory anyway, not sure if kiessling fulfills it.

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, Kiessling is seriously overrated. He's good. He doesn't suck, but he's not "A-Nationalmannschaft" good.

There's a reason Hans Meyer had his ass on FCN's bench for quite awhile near the end of last season. He wasn't Nuernberg's third best striker at that time. 5M for that guy? They robbed Leverkusen.

You want a set-up guy, name a midfielder. Strikers on the national team need to score goals.

They don't have to be "top scorers", but they need to be capable and ready. I just don't believe Kiessling is. There a world of difference between U-21 and A-International.

3. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yea, but then who else exactly is A-Nationalmannschaft striker behind Klose-Podolski-old Neuville?

Candidates:
    Schladraff
    Kuranyi
    Gomez
    Hanke
    Kiessling
    Helmes
    Auer?
    Brdaric?

All of them are not very appetizing :eek: I'd like to see Gomez, but one could say that he's just having a good run of form. Hanke is not good enough. Schlaudraff is just a bit better IMHO. Kuranyi has been scoring lately...but he's Kuranyi :D . Kiessling has been struglling. Helmes plays in the 2. Bundesliga, and Auer and Brdaric shouldn't be seriously considered.

We gotta hope Klose and Podolski get better...and Klose is out against the Czechs :mad:

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oliver Neuville might be "old", but he can still play a bit. I'd still rather see him in the Germany shirt than that f#cking overrated Kiessling.

IMO, the top two young German strikers (Of course after Podolski and Klose) are Gomez and Helmes, but Helmes is hurt.

Dude, I'd take KSC's Federico on the national team before Kiessling.

I'm not completely impressed with Schlaudraff as everyone else seems to be, but he's another I'd put before Kiessling.

Hanke too.

I'd take Kuranyi now. He might be "Kuranyi", but at least he's actually done something at the highest level before.

Germany is not without talent at the striker position. I think Loew will make the best decisions.

Even if he decides for that overrated Kiessling........ :D

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Neuville is a smart player and quick...I'll bet he'll still be around for Euro 2008 even.

Kuranyi has hit form and he has done something, right now I'd actually take him. He reminds me a lot of Trezeguet (although not as effective), good poacher, totally unlikeable :D ...plus he plays for Scheisse :rolleyes:

Federico looks good from what I hear (but I can't make judgment because I've never seen him play)...but he plays for 2. Bundesliga and that will hurt his chances. Ditto for Helmes.

And then there are 3...Kiessling, Hanke and Schlaudraff. I'd take Schlaudraff over these 2, but Kuranyi is still young, able and has shown he can play internationally. None of these 3 are over him.

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably as a bench player, but yeah, I could see that happening.

Totally agree!

I've seen him play a number of times. Classic poacher. Can play some midfield too. He'll be in the 1. Liga next season. Whether it be with KSC or someone else.

Transfermarkt.de shows that his contract is up after this season. If KSC wins promotion, he'd be smart to stay there, but I would not be surprised if some big named 1. Liga teams put pre-contracts in front of him at the winter break. Including our favorite clubs TOLH........

Depends on what kind of player you need. I don't rate Schlaudraff as highly because anyone can have a "hot streak" or just a good season. I want to see that he's the real thing. Therefore, I would take Hanke over Kiessling and Schlaudraff.

Schlaudraff may be the "it" player now, but let's see if he can keep it up.......

7. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course playing well for the U-21 doesn't guarantee anything but you have to judge a young player on something when he has no caps for the senior team.

Yea, Kiessling isn't a candidate for topscorer but he is a hard worker on the field and plays well with his team. Look, we're not looking for someone to displace Podolski or Klose, just another young German striker to get a try out for the NT.

Besides, if we are going to give players like Schlaudraff and Helmes a go why the heck not Kiessling?

9. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering....what is this angst that so many people seem to have with Kuranyi? I was talking with a friend of mine on Saturday while watching the Werder game about who the other forward should be for the Czech game since Klose will be out. I mentioned Kuranyi as a possibility up front with Podolski and he acted like I spoke some sort of offensive sacrilige. Granted, he's a hardcore, unforgiving Werder fan and I seem to remember Kuranyi scoring a painful goal against us earlier in the season. But he was already badmouthing him before that game. Kuranyi is definitely in form right now (we'll see if he still is in March) and I think he would definitely do some good up front.

10. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The match against the Czech is 4 months away. Schladraff, Kuranyi, Gomez, Kiessling will be good calls to Germany and they're in-form now.

It will be nice to use the next friendly (-ies) to test the mantle of the new combination of strikers.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what games do germany have before the czech game?

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    07.02.2007 Germany - Switzerland Düsseldorf
    24.03.2007 EURO qualifier: Czech Republic - Germany

02.06.2007 EURO qualifier: Germany - San Marino Nürnberg
    06.06.2007 EURO qualifier: Germany - Slovakia Hamburg
    08.09.2007 EURO qualifier: Wales - Germany

13.10.2007 EURO qualifier: Republic of Ireland - Germany

17.10.2007 EURO qualifier: Germany - Czech Republic München
    17.11.2007 EURO qualifier: Germany - Cyprus Hannover
    21.11.2007 EURO qualifier: Germany - Wales Frankfurt

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple. At least the others are producing. Kiessling is not.

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    NEWSFLASH: BVB desperate to sign Kiessling!!

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. The word we got are that they are interested in Schlaudraff...... :rolleyes:

BTW, did you happen to notice where Kiessling started this weekend's match??

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    heheh

um nope, where did he start the game? i havent seen any pictures of the BL from the past weekend.

17. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

As long as Kießling doesn't start producing he shouldn't be anywhere near the nt. Hunt and Gomez deserve a chance. I think the latter would be a good partner to Poldi.

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ohhhh nice one i cracked up at the picture..

but at least it makes it easier for BVB to get him now right? :)

but whats the story with gomez? his background? half german half spanish?

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BVB wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole. We've already got enough strikers who don't produce.

I don't think we'll be stupid enough to bail out Leverkusen after FCN totally ripped them off on Kiessling as Bremen ripped us on Valdez.......

Believe me, I don't remember laughing harder at anything in football than I did when I read Leverkusen put down 5M for Kiessling.

The second stupidest thing was BVB plunking down 4.5 for Valdez.

Both players are "good", but nowhere near worth the money they went for.

I can't say that I know. All I know is that he's going to play for Germany.....

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i want to see hunt, gomez, helmes given a go

and the all time great stehan kiessling in the near future too.

the thing is that he might suddenly turn out really good for the national team...and then that will give him the confidence to do well for leverkusen as well...

21. Little fairy

Little fairy New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Essen,Germany
    I can help with that ^^ This is a part of an fifa.com article :

[...]
    One thing the 21-year-old is clear about, however, is that if he is to play international football, it will be for Germany, and not his father's homeland Spain. "I've been playing underage football for the German national team since the age of 15," he explained, "and I've already made 50 international appearances. When the call comes to play senior international football, it will be from Germany.

Of course, his preference is not intended to belittle his Spanish roots. His father's family hail from Granada in Andalucia, and the player says he has both Spanish and German blood coursing through his veins: "It's a good mix," he insists. "I'm proud to be half-Spanish, half-German."

His Iberian background has also coloured some of his other ambitions, which include taking on Spanish opposition in the UEFA Champions League, and eventually playing in the powerful Primera Liga. "It would be marvellous to play in Spain one day, Gomez said.

Funny fact aside: Mario got interviewed by spanish reporters lately and they begged him to play for Spain. His reaction? He only laughed about it :D :cool:

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hunt and Gomez definitely. Helmes if he ever regains his health. From what I've read, he had to have another minor surgery on his foot. Some guys never return to form from foot injuries. Especially strikers!

LOL!! :D

Whenever he actually earns it, yes! :)

Yes, but it works the other way around unless you are already in the NT setup, i.e. Podolski and Odonkor.

You don't get put on the national team in hopes that you will find your form. You show your form with your club and then you earn a shot at the national team........

See Jan Schlaudraff.

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    little fairy : so he has a german mother?

footyfan : yes, it's the normal course of events for a player to excel for club and then get selected for the NT, but sometimes, a coach may take an educated "guess" and see playing ability in a player that he thinks might "come out" in a different environment like the NT.

it doesn't happen often but maybe loew might take that educated guess...who knows..

and then BVB can go right ahead and get him!! :D

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that only happens if the coach has a specific role in mind. Like Odonkor and his speed and crosses.

Kiessling doesn't do anything well enough to justify being looked at for a "special role". He doesn't do anything that Gomez, Hunt, Schlaudraff, etc. cannot do.

Unless you count being grossly overrated. In which case, only Schlaudraff can hold a candle to Kiessling in that category.

Just wait for Kiessling to produce, which he may eventually do. He's still a good player. Then, he will get his chance.

As you see, I don't rate him as highly as the German press and some of you, but again, it always does my heart good to see a boy from Bamberg making good. :)

You're really amusing yourself with that, aren't you??

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmm ok well u obviously follow it better than i do since you live in germany, so i'll take your word..

so its hunt gomez and helmes for now (hope he recovers)...oh and schlaudraff too.