Zypern:Deutschland 15.11.06 Euro 08 Qualifikation [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    [QUOTE="Eisenfuß" Eilts]Impressive, ..., well, goal keeper mistake.
    But enough, this happens so often:
    Distance shot, bounced on the ground some metres
    before the GK and then a goal.

Congrats to Cyprus, who fought well and deserve the point.[/QUOTE]
    I'm not even disappointed. Cyprus def. deserved the point. They not only fought well but actually played some good soccer. Also, after such a year the team still has a lot of credit. One bad game is OK, I can live with that.

BUT, Hanke wtf. This guy has no business in the national team. That's like Wolle Petry singing for the Beatles. And I agree that Gomeaz is ready next year and should become a reagular. Him together with Klose would be a great pairing. And don't forget Podolski.

2. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'd even take Schlaudraff over him and Asamoah.

3. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Or even Hunt, Gomez, Keissling ... better than the selection of Neuville / Hanke.

The match was the worst performance by the team for quite a while.

4. HOFFA

HOFFA New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    s.florida
    I would definatly like to see Gomez in there.
    Hildebrand i'm torn on. he does his job for stuttgart but I don't
    think he is the strongest choice for national starter. He is definatly
    not in the same league as Lehmann or Kahn, not yet anyway.
    I would like to see Weidenfeller start some games though. when he's on
    he is ON!! that Bremen game I thought Klose was gonna cry from frustration.

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did you see them in the U21 qualifying games against England? :rolleyes: The national team is not comparable with the Bundesliga...

However, I agree that all of them are great talents!

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what about helmes?

i thought he was ahead of all of those guys in the queue

7. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Weidenfeller is usually good between the poles. But I don't know if his comparative lack of international experience will affect his performance in international matches.

It was just a bad day. The whole team looked tired - always appeared to be a step slower than Cyprus. Fritz had a shaky match. The other options for the goal-keeping position will be Wiese and Rensing. I am very impressed by both of their gutsy plays in the Champions League.

The bigger loss was Klose will be out for the next match against the Czechs.

8. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I wish I didn't miss that match. If the U21 could qualify, I could see them play in the Beijing Olympics. I was really mad that they failed to advance further.

9. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    I agree. Hanke has not player well in the NT to deserve to stay in it.If he continues witout producing, it is a matter of time Low gives the opportunity to another young player like Gomez or Kiessling to produce.

Still, Neuville is being called because he has produced before for the NT. This is a player that seems to be worth keep on the team bench for the official tournaments.

Still ,it is clear that the two starters so far are Klose and Podolski.

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so no one rates helmes?

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I certainly do, but he's injured and has yet to get a good try out with the NT.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    do you think he is ahead of the others in the queue for a NT tryout?

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd say Gomez and Kiessling are the next up for tryouts. After that its Helmes and Hunt with Hunt being prefered because of Bundesliga and CL experience.

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmm i see..

i got the impression reading these boards that helmes was the best striker for the u21 hence the first one that should be looked at by the NT

what is gomez background? sounds spanish to me

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and what about schlaudraff!

the goal on the weekend was very nice.

why wasnt he in the squad for the cyprus game by the way? did they drop him or was he injured

16. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as I know, he was dropped because his previous disciplinary problems at Aachen.

I'd wait before I consider Schlaudraff a serious contender for the squad. Yeah, he's having a nice season so far, but let's see him keep it up.

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have thought Gomez and Hunt would be next with Kiessling behind them.

Hunt especially because of his playing experience at club level with Klose........

But since Klose is out of the next qualifying match, I guess we'll see Podolski and one of the guys mentioned in this thread. I would think Hunt, but let's see how his form holds up.

Might be Neuville anyhow as Germany will need experience against the Czechs.

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah! good point, hunt plays with klose every week so he should be at the front of the queue.

what happened to schlaudraff at aachen? the disciplinary problems

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He basically got big-headed about his newfound fame and Aachen coach Michael Frontzeck sat his ass down against Dortmund and called it a "denkpause" or "a break to think/clear his head".

It seemingly did the trick, but I believe that's why he didn't get the call against Cyprus.

I honestly don't believe Schlaudraff is as good as he's made out to be, but someone at Kicker magazine seems to be in love with him.....

Yeah, he had a SUPER GOAL against Bremen this past weekend, but since when does one superb goal make a guy "Player of the Week?"

I don't know. I just suspect this guy is more of a product of his press clippings in "Kicker" and "Bild" than substance on the pitch.

I know I could be wrong, but I just don't see it...... :confused:

20. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will he be past his 2-game suspension (if it stands) in time for the Czech game?

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he won't be. I forgot about that BS suspension. Thanks for correcting me!!

22. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, I take no pleasure in it. ;) Especially since I personally think that the charge is total BS. Whatever the case, it could be a good opportunity to see Gomez getting the call (if not as a starter, then coming in off the bench). Would he work up front in coordination with Poldi?

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think they could. It would just be hard to ask that of them in their first match together against the Czechs.

This is why I think Loew will go with Neuville and Podolski.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I put Kiessling at the top of the selection because he deserves it, he has been one of the best, if not the best player for the U-21 team for a while and has established himself well as one of the better strikers in the league. Hunt and Gomez are very agreeable options as well. Hunt's experience alongside Klose and especially in the CL goes a long way.

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kiessling "deserves it" because he's been one of the best on the U-21 for awhile?

The way I see it, being good at U-21 doesn't automatically translate to being good or "deserving" of a shot at the "A" national team.

You see, on the "A" national team, you aren't playing against other kids anymore. You're going up against the best the world has to offer.

I think league play, if the player is in one of the top five leagues in Europe, should say more about who plays on the national team.

And while I'm not really that impressed with Jan Schlaudraff, I'd rate him ahead of Kiessling right now. Along with Gomez and Hunt.

I thought Kiessling was overrated at 1. FCN and he's done absolutely nothing at Leverkusen to show me that thought is incorrect.

You need to show me something that even suggests Kiessling is one of the "better strikers in the league."

It's going to be pretty hard to convince me that a guy with one freakin' goal in 12 matches is "one of the better strikers in the league."

On his own team, Kiessling has the same number of goals as Marko Babic and Juan and one less than Carsten Ramelow and Ahmed Madouni so far this season.

"One of the better strikers in the league??"

I know you're not expecting me to buy that, are you?