Zlatan

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by crookeddy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember if this was posted here or not. This is one thing I will say Ibra hasn't gotten credit for; we should have even more PKs and FKs around the box. His foul stats are absurd.

hav77, Rohaun888 and TrickHog repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I watched all ten to check out the competition. There were a few really nice goals but nothing we haven't seen before plenty of times. Well other than the woman who scored on a 60 yard full volley return of a goal kick - the ball never touched the ground! Zlatan's goal was easily the class of the bunch. I wanted to vote but it required you to register with the site - too much trouble. Now if he hadn't taken shots at MLS... ;)

TrickHog repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed for sure. It's definitely the most unique of the bunch. Not sure anyone else could score that goal or would even attempt it.

(Agreed on the other point as well. Couldn't bring myself to register to vote.) But someone who has an existing FIFA account should! :p

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Dema had retired?

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's too harsh on the guy - I think he only broke two legs, right?

hav77, barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, as Danny Peña liked to call that— warmups before the game.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Your number of possible games for Zlatan is wrong. The correct number is 31 games and 71%. The Galaxy didn't even sign him until 03/23/18 and he wasn't cleared to play until after game 3 against Vancouver on 3/24/118.

hav77 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The increase in goal scoring had more to do with the expansion in the number of DPs in 2010 than with TAM (which didn't come into being until well after the start of the 2015 season) GAM has been around a long time. Starting with 2012, the MLS Golden Boot winner has always had more than 20 goals.

I don't think that this is vaguely close to being true. With the exception of 2013, I would say the Galaxy teams from 2011 through 2015 had a lot more attacking talent in the midfield.

In 2011 and 2012, the Galaxy had for the most part Beckham, Juninho, Magee and Donovan. From an attacking and possession perspective, I would take the first 3 over this year's version of Dos Santos, Corona and Lletget.

In 2014 Sarvas picked up his game and was awesome. Landon moved to the left mid and Stefan Ishizaki picked up for the loss of Mike Magee (who had a MVP season in 2013 with Chicago). Again I would take the 2014 version of Sarvas, Juninho and Ishizaki over the current cast. Baggio Husidic had his career year with the Galaxy in 2014 and I would take him over the current versions of Corona or Lletget.

I am mixed about the 2015 midfield from an overall perspective, but not an attacking perspective. Yes they lost Landon, Sarvas and Isizaki but they signed Lletget, moved Zardes to the midfield after the signing of Gio, and then brought Gerard in the middle of 2015, Again, I think they were superior from an attacking perspective to the current cast.

Finally, I think you are basing your evaluation of Lletget on his play in 2015 and with the USMNT. IMO, Lletget is now a shadow of the player he was in 2015 (whether he can regain his form is an open question).

skydog repped this.
  11. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First things first, that video is edited to make it look like he is talking a lot of shit. If you read the article you get context.

He’s such a frustrating guy. I came to this thread to say maybe we were wrong. He killed it in the first half of the LAFC game.

But then he does these interviews saying how it’s not like a rivalry in Italy or Spain. No shit. It’s MLS. It is what it is. We don’t have 100 years of history. We have 12 years with this rival.

I just wish he was more like Jona or Drini. Those guys rep the badge pretty hard and I love that.

But if we get to the playoffs he might turn it on super mode and demolish everyone so it’s hard to hate him even though I probably should.

shelbo, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did that thing where you make a big long post but it didn't save somehow. But this was a thoughtful post, so I do want to take the time to reply to it. Plus, it's interesting to see where the discussion is with new data.

I would not, frankly. Juninho never really broke through in LigaMX, where Corona spent most of his career. Juninho and Sarvas both got outplayed over two legs vs. Corona and the rest of the Xolos midfield in 2014. I take even this vintage of Corona, personally.

Lletget and Magee is an interesting comparison, as I don't think they're that different. In most of his seasons, Magee was a 5/5 type guy, not that different from Lletget in his best seasons (7/2 in 2015, 1/8 in 2016). Where Magee gained legendary status was in the playoffs and for the most part, Lletget hasn't really had the opportunity play in them (though he has 1 playoff goal!). Magee's probably a better player overall and better scorer, but Lletget is a hands-down better CM option.

Beckham vs. Dos Santos could be interesting as I think there are some compelling trade-offs. I think week in and out Jona gives you more, but I'd call it even for the sake of comparison.

My argument, though, is a lot of those players -- Sarvas, Husidic, Zardes, even Gargan, Rogers and AJ -- had exceptional seasons because they played next to Donovan and Keane. I don't think they are superior to players like F.Alvarez, Corona, Antuna -- I think we had a system and players that complemented them better.

Well, I think Lletget mostly plays a different role now than he did. But he's been in very good form the last few matches, starting with FCD.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rate Becks 2x the player that Jona is (not to say Jona isn't still one of our best). However, in general our players today are indeed better than they were 5 and 10 years ago. The reason we are not dominating like we used to is because there is much, much better and more competition in MLS today. If I recall correctly, the Galaxy were one of the few teams that even had a standout DPs, let alone multiple DPs. Also there are 50% more teams and they are spending a lot more money on players these days.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Personally, I favor not taking a switchblade to the rectum. But that's just me.

Vindo310, MPNumber9 and The Cadaver repped this.
  17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Just to reset, my original argument was with your post above saying that the current Galaxy team has a lot of attacking talent. I said horsefeathers, and compared the midfields of 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 to this year's team in terms of attacking talent (not overall ability). You then responded as quoted below.

I think you are vastly overrating Corona especially at this point in his career 2019. What he did for the Xolos in 2014/2015 really isn't relevant as that was perhaps his high point. As Skydog pointed out Corona spent a lot of time post 2014 on loan to other clubs. Per TransferMarkt, he started very few games for his clubs after that before joining the Galaxy. This is reflected in his stats. He only scored 2 goals since the 2014/2015 season. He was somewhat better in assists but not enough to call him an offensive force by any stretch of the imagination. I will take Juninho in 2011 (4g 1a), 2012 (7g 1a) and 2014 (0g 5a) as an attacking player over Joe 2019 (0g, 1a) every day of the week.

Again I think you are cherry picking Seb's best years and not the Seb of today. In 2011 Mike was a 5g, 0a scorer and in 2012 he had his best Galaxy year with 5 g and 2a. Lletget has 1g and 3a in 2019. Again, as an attacking force I would pick Magee. I also don't think that its surprising that Lletget might equal his season high in assists (4) playing with Zlatan

The comparison of Jona vs Beckham on an overall basis might be somewhat even, but as an attacking force this is totally false. Jona has 5g and 6a in MLS (2017-2019) Beckham in 2011 had 2g and 13a and in 2012 had 7g and 6a.'

As you might imagine I fundamentally disagree.

18. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he gets an offer and heads to Man U, after the MLS season of course. Would be interesting to see what he could do in the PL, and I would rather see us go in another direction for next season anyway.

20. Rohaun888

Rohaun888 Member

Club: Los Angeles Galaxy
    Aug 2, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be fore warned "ive been drinking" lol with that said I agree this team does not have the attacking talent prior teams have had and many of its currents players are definitely over rated. But I feel as though if we had just one other player with at least 8 or 9 goals we would be in a better position at this point of the season or if Zlatan got half the freaking calls Vela has gotten he would be on par with Vela in goals scored. But I feel (conspiracy theory coming up) LAFormelyChivas has become the darlings of the league simply because the MLS wants to encourage that style of play the way the NBA discourages half court, physical style, lob the ball into the post, low scoring games and rewards run and gun offenses with ticky tack fouls on physical play. The MLS doesn`t want ball control or Physical play it wants run and gun offenses and high scoring games. Thats the way I see it...btw does it piss anyone off that theres a statue of Becks in front of Dignity instead of Donovan or that very least Keano ? Always wanted to ask that question lol
    Thx for humoring me :)

barroldinho, kaburu, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have those 8-9 goal players on the team, they just haven't been playing most of the year. Alessandrini and Pavon. Hopefully both will soon by in the lineup.

Should be a statue of Donovan, yes.

ProudNatRN, kaburu and Rohaun888 repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cobi or Cien should have had the first statue. Full stop.

shelbo, ragbone, kaburu and 3 others repped this.
  23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Statues shouldn't be awarded lightly. I don't know that we've really reached a point in our history to warrant a statue of anybody but I'd have to think that Sigi or Doug Hamilton would be more appropriate, given that both were part of our early successes and are no longer with us.

The Beckham thing was for publicity because they knew that him getting a statue what put us in the news around the world.

Of course, now that Becks is there, are fairly modest bar has been set for being memorialized given that there are plenty of others at least as deserving.

24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #474 GalaxyOne, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    I've got no problem with a statue for Sigi or Doug, but in my book, Donovan is the most deserving player to get a statue. Not only for the LA Galaxy, but in all of MLS. Heck he had the MVP award named after him, while he was still playing for Pete's sake!

Edit: Also, does any other player have 6 MLS Cups and 4 for a single team? Will that feat ever be replicated?

Beirut, skydog, barroldinho and 4 others repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just think of all the money the team could have saved in raw materials costs by doing a life sized Cien statue