Zlatan Ibrahimovic in all time ranking.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Ozora, Aug 6, 2016.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Eusebio has around twice as many career goals as Marco Van Basten
    Did it mean he was twice as better?

Rooney with more goals than Gabriel Batistuta did it mean they were comparable in finishing?

More overall goals+assists without context means nothing
    I told you Edison cavani outscored ibrahimovic for the duration of his time in Italy
    This is a fact
    Cavani then went on to break his records in France
    Till ibrahimovic was left with no records to prove his greatness

Ibrahimovic statpadded his goals in league with that not much quality than the SPL(at least there it use to be a 2 horse race with rangers and Celtic)
    Ibra is a great league scorer but became OVERHYPED with his on field persona(like cantona)
    Now teenagers like you are calling him GOD on twitter lol
    You still haven’t told me of 1 elite striker who became more prolific after the age of 30(which ironically directly coincided with his move to France)

I told you yes ibrahimovic was more technical (yes I agree)
    But if you want to talk about “lies” than just look at his PSG stats where cavani showed him again he isn’t as special as either he or his 12 year old fanboys think

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think it's fair to say Ibra was better than Higuain. Like I'd rank Higuain as a top 5 striker in the world on his best day. On Ibra's best day he was the best striker in the world. He was in the top 10 strikers in the last decade IMO. Well from 06-2016.

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #278 carlito86, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Yeah sure I can definitely agree with that
    he was during his peak amongst the top 5-6 strikers in Europe sometimes at his best even threatening to look like the outright best
    Like Radamel Falcao 2012 with great La Liga+legendary uefa Cup+super cup
    Like Suarez 2013
    Like lewandowski 16/17
    Like Eto’o 2005

Having said this Top 15 all time striker is just exaggerations IMO
    (All things considered and not just talent)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #279 carlito86, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

A great technical performance by the young and mobile zlatan ibrahimovic against real Madrid in 2005
    All is missing is 1 good/great iconic goal and this would be classed as even higher than Henry vs Madrid 2006 and arguably as good as Ronaldinho in his famous classico

Ive said it before and maintain that zlatan ibrahimovic 2005-2011 was the most technically gifted European striker since Marco van Basten
    Only real weakness perhaps was his aerial game

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How do you rate Ibrahimovic against Romario in technique, skills, shooting etc.?

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Theoretically this should be easy comparison but they couldn't be more different

Ibra played further away sometimes as a hybrid 9 and 10
    Was possibly more adept in throughballs and general play making

Considerably more powerful shot and acrobatic
    Also I'd even argue more of a soloist in his younger days (but this could go either way as Romario had some nice moments with technical goals against Milan whilst at psv and also vs Madrid 93/94
    Great sombreros too

and was a legitimate dribbling threat 20 yards from goal

In the box there is no comparison
    Romario was lethal and could finish in any way the situation required.
    If aerial game was a weakness for ibra it was a strength for Romario

7. Alessandro10

Alessandro10 Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who had the better technique between the two?

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even
    With different strengths and weaknesses balanced

9. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Says the poster who, a few months ago, didnt even know the guy could score with the outside of the foot neither do rabonas.

Suddenly becoming an expert on a player he barely saw!

LOL

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #285 greatstriker11, Jul 16, 2019
    @Alessandro10 From a technical perspective, Romario is historically one of the most technically rounded strikers in history, perhaps THE most technical center forward.

Ibra was very technical but not in the same class as Romario.

R9 openly stated that most of the things he did he learned it from Romario.

when Johan Cruyff was asked to name the best player he ever coached

"It has to be Romário. You never knew what to expect with him. His technique was extraordinary, and he scored goals from every possible position, most of them with his toe, funnily enough."
    — Johan Cruyff .El Mundo Deportivo

That says it all.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Parroting the same party line for the last 10 years

One quote isn't enough to either devalue a player or substantiate the greatness of another
    Of course it brings some value to the discussion

This isn't how debates are settled
    Cruyff said=case closed
    You can't prove a consensus here
    Others as capello and saachi say either van Basten or R9 was the greatest CF ever

Technically Romario was up there but so was ibrahimovic who was a threat from any range

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #287 carlito86, Jul 16, 2019
    Cruyff didn't coach many great players
    In fact the majority of technical players in history weren't coached by Cruyff

So what does it prove and disprove?
    It proves (if your quote is correct)that Cruyff viewed him to be more technical than Micheal Laudrup, stoichkov and the rest of the dream team cast
    I can agree or disagree

Cruyff also said that Laudrup on top of his game was the best in the world (by extension greater than Romario? )

Anyways forget about other names

Romario was superior as a aerial threat as compared to ibrahimovic
    In ball skills too Romario was better and dribbling in crowded areas (by how much is debatable)

Let's not pretend as if ibrahimovic never scored this goal
    Let's also not pretend that had Romario scored this type of goal against any opponent youd be waving it in the face of any R9 supporter

Ibra could slalom when he was more mobile and was proficient at "slow skills"
    This has previously been covered

In playmaking and assisting ibra was demonstrably superior
    So was he acrobatically as a finisher ,on the volley and nostalgia aside i don't see a marked difference in their first touch

13. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your posts are dense in single line quotes. Almost all of them.

I am not trying to reach no consensus.

@Alessandro10 asked for opinion, I gave him one.

After all, bigsoccer is a forum people go to give their personal opinion. Not to form no consensus.

Ibra was a threat from any range, yes! And I have not stated against this view.

All I said was, that from a technical point of view, Romario is sure-fire among the most technically rounded striker/centre forward ever, no debate needed here. How we rate Ibra is up for debate. In my book Ibra is not in the same tier as Romario. Comes close but not there.

NOTE: Reinaldo Lima, was perhaps even more technical than all of them combined.

14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cruyff may not have trained many all timers yet the same can be said of all goat managers.

And yet, one can find a long list of endorsements from different top tier historic players attesting Romario's technique.

Laudrup said "no one has used my passes better than Romario"

Maradona said "He is in my dream team.When he goes for goal he often chips the ball" and "the best players I saw has to be Van Basten and Romario"

R9 said "most of the things I did I learned it from Romario"

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That Romario quote is pulled out of context. He said that in the context of Barcelona and when discussing finishing abilities. I have shown that greatstriker11 before with a handful of links but he won't learn.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/2012...s-y-johan-cruyff-con-romario_54320390646.html

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Correction:
    Alessandro10 asked for my opinion

You interjected and attacked me for no apparent reason except that you hate my guts and I don't toe the line and agree with anything unless it is validated with evidence
    Not quotes taken completely out of context

What cruyff says brings value to any discussion or debate
    What cruyff says misconstrued and taken out of context will not help you no matter how many times you copy and paste it

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesn't matter if it was withing the context of Barca alone. The fact is that Johan Cruyff was one of the goat level players and most successful managers in history and he knows what makes a top technical player. The question was to compare Ibra and Romario technically, I used Cruyff's view to support my view that Romario was highly technical considering that a goat player and top manager like Cruyff held him in high regard in that matter.

Me quoting Cruyff or other legendary characters acknowledging him as a top technician is relevant.

18. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he needed your exlusive opinion than he would send you a private message. This is a open forum

And I don't hate you personally. I hate how you claim things about players you clearly knows little off. In earlier posts you claimed that said player didn't possess certain skills when it was the exact opposite. In fact, the skills you mentioned were actually skills that made said player famous. And this makes me suspicious about your posts cause I ask myself, if you pretend to know things about a player you clearly dont know much about than how many other claims you have made so far about other players are also suspect. For example, I dont know much about Pele, hence I keep my opinion to a minimum and listen to people who knows. Its called humbleness.

I did what you do, quoting one liners. You quote many one liners all the time. No difference

You have always been a hypocrite. Dismissing others for doing the same thing you do yourself.

One only has to look at the majority of your posts. They are dense with one line quotes from managers and other players endorsing your favourite players.

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes I understand.

He like anyone else was wrong sometimes (sometimes also misunderstood/misquoted like "Neymar and Messi can't play together") but can see people like him, Ferguson etcetera have such track record that their remarks merit a passing thought.

I only said the quote on Romario is taken out of context. It was probably not constructed very well by the reporter, and then the other parameters are getting ignored by others.

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you are referring to the "treasure trove of quotes" I use regarding CR they are to build an accurate picture of how he was viewed during a specific year or time period

Never have once quoted someone out of context
    As I say and repeat what Johan Cruyff says brings value to any footballing discuss
    He was after all one of the greatest ever students of the game

When Cruyff says such and such about CRonaldo
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/wwww.m...ohan-cruyff-pays-cristiano-ronaldo-725552.amp
    He does so categorically and in a absolute sense (meaning there is no room for manoeuvre)
    When I came CR was frankly talked about like he was a robotic bum
    Some balance was therefore needed and alternative viewpoints were presented

What Cruyff says about CR is in some way shape or form expressed by Alfredo di Stefano, Pele,Bobby Charlton, Denis law, Eusebio etc
    A consensus or at least a overwhelming majority of "footballing heavyweights" that brings even further value to the discussion

What cruyff says regarding Romario taken in the correct context doesn't invalidate what im saying regarding zlatan ibrahimovic
    Both have different strengths and also weaknesses that are balanced out imo (strictly from a technical standpoint)

21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Puck you can watch and listen to Cruyff himself on youtube. That report is on youtube. If you know Spanish than your know he said that within the context of "best player" he managed and than commented on "technique". If you don't know Spanish you can use settings to translate in subtitles.

In the end, it was not the only time Cruyff highlighted Romario's technical qualities. There are many interviews on youtube where Cruyff spoke so highly of Romario's technique with the ball and aswell as with his understanding of the game. Cruyff said that often he only had to suggest something about tactics and without much explanation Romario would understand and see what Cruyff meant. Cruyff said few players he had under him showed this quality to communicate tactics at such a level.

Laudrup, another top tier technician, was managed by Cruyff. Go figure. To put Romario so high means something. Be that in comparison to Ibrahim or else.

Het maakt niet uit!

22. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Albeit that I won't argue against your point that Cruyff might have said things you disagreed with, I couldn't reiterate enough that Cruyff as a manager and visionary was a very intelligent person and very professional one. He was human hence he too made mistakes, yet, what he said about CR was not in odds with what a lot of managers felt back then in that time.

@PuckVanHeel even mention Fergusson quoting views out of context. But the same can be said of many others.

Consensus reached by a majority is something I always have been reluctant to entertain myself with. It is and has always been my opinion that in football there is no such thing as consensus reached objectively. @PuckVanHeel knows that, in the past, I have criticized the so called consensus in football discussions a lot. That my views were mainly based on the fact that I believe that football is a spectacle sport that has its roots deep in global politics (tribal war through sport) and in modern times has become too commercialized to the point that consensus is hardly objective. Football was originally not a statistical sport. Now stats influences consensus.

you know I seldom, if ever, use quotes from anyone in any post to support my views. I did it this time and it was well within context.

It did not support my views that one was more technical than the other. No it didnt. But that wasn't my intention either. It was used as a side note. I took off a tangent to tell @Alessandro10 a little bit more about Romario.

23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is a difference in a consensus (or majority vote) reached by casual fans who may be influenced by "tribalism" and fanaticism towards certain nations, clubs or players

And a majority vote reached by qualified experts in their field

Pele was voted by a panel of experts and his peers as the greatest of his century
    When it came to the Internet/fan vote Maradona won by a landslide
    Of course those who witnessed Maradona couldn't imagine there was a greater player and this guided their judgement
    I can't imagine those who'd witnessed Pele live would've been so Internet savvy in 2000 which could also explain the low turnout

For me personally the expert majority opinion of Johan Cruyff, ADS,Eusebio, Bobby Charlton,Pele, SAF etc is worth more than 150,000 casual fans voting for Zidane as the best european player of the last 50 years (poll taken in 2004 and he finished ahead of Cruyff)

24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #299 carlito86, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

Rewatched this the other day and it reminded me how Xavi was so godly at his peak.
    With the level of service provided ibrahimovic frankly had no choice except to score

Overall yes i concur
    Ibrahimovic never truly exceeded the level of a great league performer despite sporadic moments in some European championship games and glimpses of form in the champions league

Even so I think fourfourtwo is completely wrong for putting him at 50th~ for the last 25 years
    Why is there such a notable gap between Totti and ibrahimovic when the latter thoroughly and comprehensively outclassed him in serie A on numerous occasions

25. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It is my opinion that Xavi, at his peak, was the single most dominant central midfielder in football's history. Yes, he needed a particular system to thrive in. Yes, he played with some godly players. Yes, he was quite one-dimensional. However, when given the platform to excel, when the team is built to maximize his strength, there was no CM who could bend a match to their will like he could. There was no CM who could dominate a game like he could. There was no CM who made the game all about him like he could, both in terms of elevating the performance-level of his teammates, and being the point of focus for his opponents. The results he achieved with both Barcelona and Spain justified the manager's decision to build those teams around him. It was never my cup of tea, honestly, as I found Spain boring and only the likes of Eto'o, Messi, and Alves provided any real excitement in Barcelona, but I always appreciated the greatness I was witnessing.