Zidane wins Golden Ball Award.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by pheisar, Jul 10, 2006.

1. pheisar

pheisar New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Portugal
    Exactly, Zidane won the Golden Ball Award. Cristiano Ronaldo lost his Best Young Player Award because of fair play issues, and now here we see Zidane being crowned. This is a FIFA Joke Award.

2. James Bond

James Bond New Member

May 26, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    lol

3. Moonsault

Moonsault New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Germany
    Who cares about the awards?

Best youthplayer: Poldi
    Best goalkeeper: Buffon
    Best player: Zidane
    Most entertaining Team: Portugal

Don't you notice anything? FIFA wanted to give every Top4 nation its own award. That's politics. ;)

4. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Can you say 'STUPIDO'

5. sideney

sideney New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Venice
    I don't think that Zinedine Zidane can be so happy of that Golden balla Award... However that is the dimostration that for the Fifa exist only the offensive player. Defender and goalkeeper can stay on the bench so all the match end like 11 - 12 or more goal....

6. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Zidane fully deserved it. The magician. Best players of the past 2 decades bar Maradona. The award isnt determined by FIFA btw. They take a poll from journalists and he just edged out Cannavaro.

He is a human being. If the opponent called my family prostitutes and kept being racist to my family and nation the whole match, i would knock the hell out of him too.

7. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh really? According to your logic, Can you give me a list of addresses of all the people on here that have been extremely racist towards Italians as well then calling us cheaters, greasy, .... SO I can go kick the sh!!!!t out of them as well...

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    FIFA does not decide the winner. The media does.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The Portugal thing really makes me laugh. That's almost a wind-up!

Even though I'm Dutch I'll happily admit to Germany being the most entertaining side of the tournament. Second Argentina.

10. Undead

Undead New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I can expect such a reaction from a newbie not from a superstar that played professional football for DECADES.

Since he's an human being I expect him to think and not to react like an animal.

Don't know what Materazzi said, from lips I can only read "vaffanculo" (******** off), but every professional player receives such offenses multiple times.

I already wrote that: in euro 2004 the idiot was totti. Spitting at poulsen was a nonsense, he couldn't get anything good from that action. And since mr.totti was representing italy I don't want people representing me to spit like lamas.

The same applies to zizou. What kind of advantage he received from that header? Let me think. You're righe: absolutely nothing.

Let me say something else... it would have been worse if the referee didn't give him a red card. You think Materazzi would have recevied that header without saying a world?

Look at Materazzi videos: that guy is a butcher.. he's an idiot!!
    In 5 minutes he would have reacted the way he knows and both would have been sent off.
    We would be here talking about an header that the referee didn't see, who's provoking who, and so on...

11. 17mika

17mika New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milano
    But do you really think that Zidane was the best player (I'm not counting what he did to Materazzi)?

I saw him playing 1 very good game against Brasil, 1 good game against Spain, and then really nothing else. He missed the game against Togo for double booking and Played just decently in th other games
    I think Viera, Thuram and Cannavaro were FAR more consistent.

12. Natrium

Natrium New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Schland
    I don't know what the FIFA is thinking. Zidane didn't exactly perform that great in the tournament to start with ... The FIFA is a bunch of corrupt idiots, babbling about rolemodels in sport and suspending Frings for barely touching Cruz while awarding Zidane for a headbutt.

13. SCBraga

SCBraga New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Couldn't agree more with you. Zidane saw 2 red cards in this world cup and still managed to win best player?!?!?!:rolleyes:
    What about fair-play? He didn't show any throughout the Championship.

14. Fidalgo

Fidalgo New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada
    Dutch people crack me up, period.

15. Fidalgo

Fidalgo New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada

Very true, but then we're used to this kind of treatment by now.

16. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Media decided.Zidane edged Cannavaro by 20-30 votes.
    I don't understand what's fuss about.Zidane deserved red card,but in my opinion Materazzi's behaviour also should be punished.
    Every great player had moments of madness,Pele was not stranger to give it back,Maradona -was sent off in 1982 in game agains Brazil,and was drug addict,Cruyff was very fiery too etc.It does not make him bad player,he'll be remmembered as one of the greats.And I don't need kids to tell me that he is overrated,I'm life long football fan ,I understand thing or two.

17. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I did not think he would have won this award after what had happen.

I believe the award was decieded before the game. And that FIFA may leak something before game to the French, which would not surprise me as much as him winning this award.

With him knowning about that, he knew he was going to lose yesterday and did not want be seen crying like Maradonna did in '90.

Zidane did not think about the team but about himself and just maybe wanted to go out infamous marking his last appearance in the WC.

Which brings me to this question now, is Zidane in the same level as Maradonna in the WC?

18. 17mika

17mika New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milano
    Not at all. Maradona won a WC almost alone

19. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That is rubish.Maradona had two excellent games(out of this world) against England and Belgium.In group stage -against S.Korea he was more on the ground than on his feet.Nothing special aginst Italy too(despite scoring goal which was goalkeepers fault).Nothing special in the final too.His pass to Burruchaga(or was it Valdano) only thing what he did all game.

20. Wasted

Wasted New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Louisville
    I didn't see another player who really controlled his team the way Zinedine did this tournament. When he played well, the entire team played well. So in my mind, he was the most deserving.

21. Stinky Shinguards

Jul 8, 2006
    IL, Chicago suburb
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane did not fully deserve the Golden Ball Award even discounting the bonehead red card he received. Cannavaro was by far the best/most important player of the tournament. His stellar defending and ability to be the lone man back allowed their outside defenders to push up and score. And score they did. Without Cannavaro, Italy would not have moved out of group play. I guess FIFA just doesn't want a defender to win the award.

I love Zidane and after the red card, still do. Soccer is a game of passion and emotion and even the best get caught up in the competition. I find it surprising that it happened especially after the coolness he displayed in scoring the PK. Shameful that his career ended this way.

22. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Zidane did NOT desrve this award! He played a total of three good games! Out of 7? Oh, wait make that 6 because he was suspended for one. This is crazy. Cannavaro played 7 solid games and gets the shaft! The best player award should be Cannavaro's he had the best and most consistent performances throughout the tournament!

I cannot believe that FIFA would award this fool.

23. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One more time-MEDIA,NOT FIFA voted.

24. a13antichrist

a13antichrist New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NZ
    As much as I'm happy that Italy won, what with this Golden Ball award, the Portuguese "Most Attractive" award, the endless ref stuff-ups & the lifeless finals, it really is getting harder & harder to think of this tournament as anything more than one big joke...

At least there were still lots of hot girls at the games. That's about the only saving grace I can think of so at least the games themselves would have been good nights out.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cannavaro should have won the award. But nobody really stuck out in this WC. Zidane was the only good story because it was sort of a come back. With all his good play, he scored one goal against Spain when the game was pretty much over, and then scored on PKs and assisted through foul kick crosses. Vieira was as influential in attack and more influential in defense for the French team.