Zidane goes down in sports infamy

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by L'italian06, Jul 11, 2006.

1. L'italian06

L'italian06 New Member

Jun 18, 2006
  2. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ive seen pictures of that head butt more then i have seen cannavaro lift up the throphy, which is sad, this is overshadowing italys victory.

3. L'italian06

L'italian06 New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I know what you mean...but what you gonna do ya know? I don't think in the history of WC this has ever happend on a FINAL MATCH, on the 2nd OT, by a player who was rewared the Golden Ball, who should have gotten the Golden Headbutt Award. So it's a HOT TOPIC.

4. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zidane says that Materazzi used a racial slur and called him a "terrorist". Materazzi has denied it saying that, "I am ignorant. I do not know what that word means".

5. Nikogfrog

Nikogfrog New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Zidane didn't say so and actually has not commented yet over the matter. He is due to do it in a few days. Some lip readers are reported to have deciphered what Materazzy said. he is reported to have said "a dirty death to you and your family!!" and to have said "you all muslims are all the same terrorists" (or something similar). When asked about it, he said he didn't even know what was a muslim terrorist (?????!!!!!!!). It speaks for itself...

Italy deserved to win but sorry to say so, but if Materazzi is confirmed to have said racist insults, he will be remembered as a plain bag of shaite unworthy of his world champion status.

Nevertheless, congratualtion to the rest of the team.

6. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I shared what was reported on ESPN News this morning.

7. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In GdS today:

Apparently Zidane started the taunting...

He was saying that Materazzi should stop pulling his shirt, that he would give it to him after the game so he could have the shirt of a wc winner. Then basically Materazzi said f you and your sister is a whore.

When asked if he said anything about being a terrorist, he said the only terrorist I know is her... pointing at his baby girl. And the racist comment sounds very unlikely because his best friend at Inter happens to be Obefami Martins.

He also added he never said anything about his mother because that is sacred to him after losing his when he was 14 y.o.

8. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This sounds much more likely. I was going to use the word "reasonable", but that adjective left the building days ago. Regardless, I am not going to give Zidane a free pass on this one. I hope many of the big names in our sport come out and condemn Zidane's act, and his being awarded the Golden Ball over Canna.

9. L'italian06

L'italian06 New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Regardless of what Materazzi said.. It's still no excuse for what Zidane did. In any professinal event, maybe except Ice Hockey, kick boxing, or just boxing... should you start a physical, unprofessional fight against your opponent with your head, fist, knees, elbows, ETC. Rossi got what he deserves for what he did in the US game. Other then that we played an excellent game. But the true final for me was against Germany.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is that really a "taunt" in your eyes and a reason for Materazzi do insult him that ugly way?

Nevertheless I think that such a great footballer like Zizou mustn't react in such a shocking manner!

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane is, and always will be, a GREAT player and one of the greatest to ever play. I'm proud to have given my son the middle name of Zinedine Zidane (yes, I convinced my wife to let it happen) and will hope he can play a tenth as well as Zizou.

With that being said, what happened was wrong. I'm going to wait and see as to what Materazzi said, but no matter what Zizou acted improperly with his headbutt. It won't tarnish his career, he's done FAR to much good for it to do so.

12. giallorossissimo

Apr 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I love the Matrix as much as everyone else, but I really don't buy that.