Zarek Valentin

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by GiallorossiYank, Jun 1, 2011.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Chivas USA

A decent amount of appearences for them this year...And he has 31 caps for the U-20's so far. Wow.

Anyone wanna tell me how good this kid is gonna be?

2. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the Dos Equis guy was modeled after Valentin.:cool:

3. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I imagine that when the evaluation process starts for Olympic qualifying...........Zarek Valentin will be involved.

He could be great.........or he could be his brother. Hard to say at this point. I think Julian is now retired, actually.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yeah Julian retired back in February 24 years old. He now works for the Colorado Rockies

http://twitter.com/#!/JulianValentin/status/33214707791831040

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zarek is already better than his brother ever was. He's going to be a decent MLS player at least. Time will tell whether he'll achieve greater heights.

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll defiantly exceed decent MLS player expectations.

31 caps for the U-20's

9 starts already for Chivas, not bad at all

I have high expectations for him and Okugo

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are reasons to hope that he will exceed "decent MLS player" level, but his number of youth caps and his number of starts for Chivas USA aren't two of them. Lots of crappy players have featured prominently for our youth teams....and for Chivas USA.

I actually like Z. Valentin, but let's keep things in perspective.

9. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    Uh, he went number 4 in the draft. Salgado, Nagbe, Kitchen and then Valentin.

10. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Not saying Valentin isn't a good prospect, but anyone remember Nick Besagno and Steve Shak?

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zarek Valentin will have a long steady career in MLS. He will be called into several camp cup cakes, and make a terrible mistake in a meaningless friendly. He will then be forever blackballed for being "terrible" and any time the future US national team coach Jason Kreis calls him into the squad, big soccer posters will moan and scream, because as everyone knows he is terrible. Valentin's presence will then be used by bigsoccer posters as evidence that Jason Kreis is a terrible coach, holding the US team back from its true potential and that if we just had Andre Boas we could do so much. Valentin will then put in several solid performances and score a late goal in a key qualifier, whereby Kreis will still be an idiot, and Valentin will be ignored by all those who thought he was terrible. In his early thirties he will then make a move to a low level Bundesliga side where he will struggle for playing time and all those who thought he was terrible will come back and show that they were in fact right, and that US national team coach Steve Cherundolo is an idiot.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A combination of the Pearce and Bornstein mythos?

I though he played RB, though?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beggars can't be choosers.

I believe he has played both RB and CB this year.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL.

If I didn't think this was a very possible scenario it would be even funnier.:p

This Valentin is twice the player his brother was. His brother was a poster boy for being in the system early, so he just stayed no matter what. He will have a solid MLS career IMO.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep.

If Chandler isn't released for Olympic qualifying (which is likely), Valentin will definitely be in the mix to start at RB along with Sheanon Williams, and maybe Rich Balchan (who's right footed but playing LB with Columbus). Plus, Valentin's versatility to also play CB would be valuable for an 18-man roster.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant. Totally plausible, too.

17. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    ^ Great post!! I think you can see the future.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, or at least I hope, that everyone realizes that there are plenty of prospects that never pan out, in ALL sports. I'm not sure if anyone thinks soccer, or the US national team specifically, are somehow exempt from this, and why they may have come to that ridiculous conclusion if they do think so....
    That doesn't mean that every Steven Strasburg discussion needs an obligatory "sure he could turn into Felix Hernandez, but anyone remember Todd Van Poppel?" It's pretty much understood. And to keep it to baseball, Jered Weaver's brother is also retired from baseball now.

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    To compare a rookie starter MLS 2011 to someone who never played and the other who failed in the league 10 yrs ago simply doesn't understand basic comparitive analysis except defender, high draft pick. Watched all three and there is no comparison.
    Valentin is so much better than both those players. Just sayin' watch talent rather than irrelevant connections.

20. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Rich Balchan...
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=114&id=15476

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want the "long steady MLS career", I want the "long steady top-tier European league career."

Every casual US fan always undervalues Bocanegra's club career, he played in the EPL for 5 years and now Ligue 1 for 4 years. We need more of these types of careers.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of things I want too.... ;)

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players like Zarek Valerntin improve the quality of our league.

I think we need to build from within...then let the star go to Europe.

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha so true.

But man, I'm just frustrated. I just want a bigger selection of quality players, playing in good leagues, for the USMNT.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Damn straight. It's sad to see a guy who has proven his value to other teams to watch folks belittle him because he isn't Beckenbauer.

Remember, it seems to be more of a sin for some on BS to be a proven, valuable pro over time, and not be a star to fulfill childish fantasies and needs.
    A shame really.

Unproven players get more respect.

I am a NY fan and Tim Ream fan, however I have pointed out repeatedly that it doesn't look like he is gonna be able to handle the highest levels for a variety of reasons....unless there are a few key changes, that we can't assume will happen. Many love assuming the fantasy will be met. Need it for their own self, and love ignoring reality so it happens.

Well, Timmy has a ways to go. He will be a solid player, have a solid career, but if he doesn't hit that fantasy then he is gonna be blasted over it by quite a few. Never fails.

Valentin is a perfect product of his time. An improvement over the previous masses by US standards, but by world standards...eh.