Zach Herlod forced to retire

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Napoli 10, May 17, 2010.

1. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Goff via Twitter
    Sad news

2. c. williams

c. williams New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    tampa
    Let's pray for Zach and give him some privacy.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the best in the world to Zac. Terrible news

Hopefully he go to college and stay involved with the game in some way outside of playing.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really a shame.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Thank the lord that the problem was discovered.

Good luck to Zach.

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Very sad news but at least they caught it early. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does.

A football player (graduated) who went to my high school has the same condition. He obviously couldn't play in college but he went into sports management and helped as an assistant coach for the team.

7. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Must be something so odd. Figure ussf had the full works on him

8. TheTim

TheTim Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Terrible for Zach, but the alternative is much worse. This is the same heart condition that took the lives of basketball players Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis. Definitely not something to mess with.

9. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really sad news, 17 years old, All the best to you Zach!

Thanks for reppin' the Stars & Stripes at the past U-17 WC!

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Zach. Thanks for representing the US!

11. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very sad to hear. It's on the front page of yahoo.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...rold-forced-to-retire-before-f?urn=sow,241590

I hate to say this, and I really wish the best for Zak and his family, but I did think it was another stupid mistake from Mo Johnston when he said "our hearts go out to him." Really? That's a poor choice of words. Don't want to make this seem like a joke, but I did want to point that out. Zak seems to have huge passion for the game, so I just hope he can find a job (in soccer) that he can enjoy.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zach Herold forced to retire

All the best to Zack Herold as he continues with his life. It is good that his condition was discovered early but now it can be monitored safely. He is young and has the world before him. I wish him success in school & his future career, whatever that may be.

This story was one of the 4 primary stories on the front page Yahoo! this morning. I don't see many soccer stories on the front page of yahoo. Much less USA or MLS stories.

You're joking, right? It is a standard turn of phrase used by many including me. I think you're being more than a wee bit critical.

13. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I've seen a lot of soccer stories lately they all come from dirty tackle. There was one about Kei Kamara's miss, Gooch wanting to play for free, various videos about cool goals.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I've seen soccer stories on yahoo. I just haven't seen them as one of the four primary stories on the front Yahoo! page. Maybe I'm not checking my email at the right times.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Hopefully he has a long healthy and happy life.

16. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes I was, I just didn't want to make it seem like his condition is a joke

17. Pacten

Pacten New Member

May 4, 2010

zach is lucky to find out about this illness early in his career and now that he is young to heal quickly by the grace of God. We wish him well. I think he will come back to soccer. There is a player I think from Nigeria by the name Kanu that had the same or similar condition. Kanu was treated at the Cleveland clinic about 10 years ago. He recovered fully and went back to play for Arsenal; actually he is now playing for Portsmouth. Zach should take comfort in this story while we pray for his recovery.

18. Cade

Cade Member

Jul 7, 2008
    :(

godspeed Zach! hopefully you stay with the game & pass on your knowledge/love of it to others.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

That would be great if he were able to return. If not, hopefully he can stay involved in soccer on the coaching or business side. Bradenton ought to hire him as an assistant and let him work alongside the other coaches.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Kanu needed to have his aortic valve replaced. This is not the same condition as Herolds.

I doubt he will ever be able to play again. I know two people who have this condition and they can't participate in any sports or any rigiorus physical activity, it is that dangerous. Exercise also brings on some key symptons of HCM including dizziness, inability to recover quickly, severe shortness of breath, etc.

Marc-Vivien Foé died of this conditon during a Confederations Cup match back in 2003 and a Hungarian footballer also died during a game.

21. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL