Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to figure this out. Is this happening because of summer breaks/WC or is he really going to be in the 1st team?

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously doubt he’s going to be with the first team. For one, he’s made a few huge mistakes that easily could’ve been goals. Literally as I was typing that, he just made another one

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-19's. They have a lot of players that will be coming back before the start of the season.

4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems like a lot of time to give someone without a sniff of the first team. They don’t have anyone else? Not like his name helps draw in the US fans.

5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, Julian Green. Not saying Richards will never play for Bayern’s first team, just that giving minutes to a teen in these friendlies isn’t unprecedented.

6. It's a necesity this summer for the top clubs as their star players need a break from the season plus WC.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They have 3 first team CB's (Boating, Hummels, Sule) along with Martinez who splits time between CB and DM. They also have Kimmich and Alaba who can deputize there. And their best CB prospect, Lars Lukas Mai, is currently injured. He's the same age as Richards, and has two first team appearances. He'd come before Richards for playing time. Besides that, I don't think there's anyone else in his way. In the reserve team, they have a 31 year old captain who has 40 2. Bundesliga appearances, but no Bundesliga games. I don't believe he even was called up for this summer tour. They also have another two young players with a handful of German YNT caps, but they also aren't regulars or big prospects. Among players fully in the U-19 squad, he's probably the #1 CB.

And lets consider that Richards is not a bad player. A lot of youth players have Bayern Munich or a big name attached to them, but are never actually good enough to even be considered to play for the first team. Richards has signed a professional contract with an MLS team already, and has made the bench before. He can hold his own at Bayern. He's probably more accomplished and more talented than all but maybe 1-2 of their CB's in the higher levels of their academy. I doubt he'd become a first team regular. Academy players don't at Bayern, so if any of their young CB's has any chance, its probably Mai. Richards helps out the numbers in preseason. It'll help him out later in his career. Better than sitting around at FC Dallas to play behind Maynor Figueroa.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Really won’t be shocked if Bayern buys Richards in January. Finish the rest of the season with Bayern’s U19s, then plays the EPB/Miazga loan game starting next season.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't either, but what is the upside with that if they have to pay a transfer fee to FCD? Are you going to end up making more for Richards eventually by selling him than you paid for him?

I think there's a reason why European teams have so much interest in 16-18 year olds Americans. All things being equal between them and players you have to spend money on, European teams will take the free Americans.

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Bayern is basically the best ran club in the world. They know what they’re doing. So whatever they decide on Richards is probably the correct choice.

11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern gets first crack at getting these kids to come into their system before they can listen to the sweet murmurs of clubs like Man City, Bremen, Schalke, etc.

ielag repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And get on Richards early and cheaper in case he excels at the U20 WC and raises his profile more.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miracel to even get pokal games or if Bayern get hit with multiple injuries. Bayern have Hummers and Boateng with Sule rotating in togive then breaks. So he’s not beating those guys out. Of course if worst comes to worst Alaba Kimmich and Martinez can all slot in.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get more out of scouting these young kids than running their first team through cash making friendlies in July.

15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaba was pretty bad in this game

TxEx repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean honestly I don’t think anybody at Bayern cares. It’s like baseball when guys hit .100 in spring training. There’s Little correlation to their season.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just surprised that they don’t have anyone else that they rather get a look at.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'd rate it at like 5% or less at this juncture but BM has another month before their season really kicks off if you don't count the Super Cup, but they also have a Polka match against a team from like the 5th German division right before the Bundesliga kicks off. If they've still got a ton of guys who are just coming back or want to evaluate their young players some more it's possible, however unlikely, that could be a game they could play Richards in.

I certainly wouldn't bet on it but then again if you'd have told me he get minutes against PSG, Juventus, and ManCity, even though it's just the ICC preseason games I'd have told you were crazy. Everything about this situation is crazy and backwards. At this point why wouldn't this kid get his pro debut for BM before he's even eligible to play for FCD.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah. January of 2020.

Fully expect Chris to play regularly for a year for FC Dallas and then go back to Europe.

I also think Reggie Cannon will be overseas in 2020, too. Look for him to "train" with some Euro clubs in the offseason. (No inside info, just a hunch.)

Both these kids saw the Kellyn Acosta situation up close. Both are bright kids and both have good representation. They'll take their PT now and next year and then be on their way.

Tom Collingsworth and TCS35 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully Richards gets that playing time. The fact that they loaned him out mid-season to Bayern makes me think they don't think he's going to play anytime soon.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Richards isn’t eligible to play for FC Dallas first team until next season.

“One of my plans was to get to Europe as fast as possible which I think that is any soccer player's plans since Europe has the best leagues,” Richards said. “Dallas understood that and realized that. Even though I couldn't be added to the first team roster until 2019, they understood that I needed games and what better way than to send me to Bayern in the best youth league in the world?”

http://americansoccernow.com/articl...ichards-aiming-high-on-loan-at-bayern-s-u-19s

Tom Collingsworth, TxEx and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Garber has to knash his teeth on statements like these.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Am I wrong in saying that he becomes eligible a year after signing for the academy? That can't be more than a couple of weeks from now.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes.

Myriad reports saying he can't play with the FCD first team till 2019.