Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. @bshredder reported that it was 40%, so could be really good for FCD.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1141701709888196608 is not a valid tweet id

largegarlic repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    99-Gabriel Weiss of Ingolstadt II is training with the 1st team who got relegated to 3rd Liga. Also relegation of the 1st team to 3rd Liga relegated by default Ingolstadt II from RL Bayern to OL.

so he's a 5th division player next season+ possible 3rd Liga.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He’s not eligible for the U-19’s. This goes by birth year, not age. I don’t understand how fans try to understand youth soccer, and don’t operate their minds in birth years. You see these errors made all the time, and it’s almost always the same thing.

TarHeels17, Balerion, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So we could see brook, edwards, and Llanez play for Wolfsburg's first team? I think I found my favorite bundesliga team for this season

largegarlic and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible, but I think it's highly likely that Edwards will start with the U23s and Llanez will start with the U19s.

Being part of the youth players who are in preseason camp with the first team is a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the player is viewed as close to first team minutes.

8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I agree. I literally have no idea how old a player is sometimes, I just happen to know what a guys birth year is and what year it is, and then subtract and figure there are only two options. I still think Pulisic is 19, but considering it's 2019 and he's a '98 he's obviously either 20 or 21.

If you don't know the birth year of at least 100 or so youth prospects, you aren't even trying. It's like you don't make spreadsheets in your free time. The most permissible mistake is switching Ferri (an '00) with Vassilev (an '01), but you gotta know everyone else. If you're on these boards and don't know that Richie Ledezma and Alex Mendez were born on the same day, then get out of here. We don't want people with lives on here.

Mahtzo1, gunnerfan7, Pegasus and 6 others repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1142473586411749376 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the US academy system and subsequent players now better than German-Americans who are second choice for the Germany meaning those who can't make the German team?

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Well, how many USMNT players could make Germany’s senior team at any point in their career?

I’ll go out on a limb and say that no one currently on the 23 man roster from MLS would come close. That only leaves seven players and I’d say only Pulisic and Adams would have a shot.

I’d guess Richards is the one up-and-comer who could maybe do it. Am I missing anyone?

TLDR. I don’t think we’re nearing the point where someone not good enough for Germany is definitionally not good enough for us.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    looks like he was the only player to play the full game in the 1st preseason in a 5-0 win. From squad listing seems like he was put as fullback?

FCI 1. HZ: Knaller - Weiß, Paulsen, Polauke, Kurzweg - Pintidis,Schröck - Kerschbaumer, Diawusie - Kutschke, Sussek
    FCI 2. HZ: Buntic - Neuberger, Gimber, Keller, Weiß - Krauße, Thalhammer - Bilbija, Röcher - Kaya, Wolfram

autobus39 repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you but the US has made the semis at U20 three cycles in a row and no one else has done that. Could mean nothing except Pulisic, Adams and McKennie are already in the Bundesliga and a bunch more slightly younger are in academies there. Since I don’t follow every teams youth does Germany have a bunch of good young players coming up or dare I say is the US in better position with say U17’s through U21’s?

15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean of course you're wrong, it's Germany, but the fact that you could even think that is saying something.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spiel...tersklasse=u21&jahrgang=0&land_id=40&yt0=Show

vs.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spiel...ersklasse=u21&jahrgang=0&land_id=184&yt0=Show

The top end talent really isn't that different. It's more the depth that is noticeable, and will lead to their crop being better from this age group. More good players means more will overachieve and end up being contributors. It's an obvious reason why we need more guys to turn pro and why we need more places for guys to play in the US.

It's forgivable, though, given the American-tinted lens we all view soccer through.

Pegasus repped this.
  16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U-20’s made the semis 3 cycles in a row? When was this?

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure @Pegasus meant we made the QFs the last 3 cycles.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I got that wrong for sure but the US is the only team to make the QF's the last three cycles (unless I'm wrong again).

TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After making all of these quarterfinals, I will be literally ecstatic if we ever make a semi at any meaningful tournament (Gold Cup doesn't count). El sexto partido is real for me.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Soto now has reported interest from Borussia Dortmund, PSV, Hoffenheim, unnamed French teams and unnamed German teams. The German teams could be the two that are now named.

He needs to be playing every week next season. I don't think any of us know what he's being offered by any of these clubs, so I won't begin to speculate which would be the best team for him to play for next season, but he needs to be playing every week next season with the first team.

butters59 and bballshawn repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    PSV would pay guaranteed $400K+ and being on the team with Ledezma should be good too.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "We have this play where I run toward the goal and he passes it to me and I shoot it into the goal. It can be yours for $800,000 per year. We'll split it."

TarHeels17 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, on the surface playing 2.BL ball next year sounds ideal for these 2.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1075 Clint Eastwood, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Its a little surprising. I don't think a young player like Gloster hands in that transfer request at a club like Hannover unless he knows there's interest from "bigger clubs" out there, though.

I like Hannover. There's no reason not to like Hannover. We have a long history of Americans at Hannover. But they've made Europe twice since 1992. Now they're in the 2. Bundesliga,