Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    MLS teams can make money on their investment just by having HG kids start. They don't need to even sell them or get Training Compensation. HG's are paid by the league, so just having Glad and company in the first team is saving a bunch of salary.

TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wahl is saying that Soto will be at the Hannover first team winter training camp.

IHSSOC repped this.
  3. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Saw him at the RSL-LAG match at Stubhub yesterday visiting with RSL boys. Sorry can’t confirm or deny the above, just good to see him catching up with former teammates.

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peretz48, IHSSOC, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ChuckMe92, KUSA77, Bob Morocco and 6 others repped this.
  6. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #606 Tactical Hipster, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    I think this is the right thread since they are both 98s, but Haji and Weston started for Schalke today!

Only one half in so far, but Haji scored a good reaction tap-in from a weston knock down!

Overall they have been meh. Haji hasn't looked great when pulled out of the middle, but his combination and hold-up play is almost there.

Weston is playing forward which seems really weird, really a second forward. He has looked better, but still looks out of place so high up the field. Schalke is a weird team to watch tactically.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately schalke appear to be complete and utter shit this year. They’ll be in a relegation fight st this point.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think McKennie played very well. Not so much a forward as in the last game but more of a #10. He was very good at one touch passing and had a few nice dribbles. He was aerially dominant in the opposition box, getting to at least three. One was behind him, one he got on frame with a header, and the third he knocked it down for Wright to finish.

Haji was also good after about 10 minutes. He held up the ball well and then hit the nice outlet to the open player. The game didn't seem to fast for him and he scored.

Great stuff.

Schalke played pretty well in the first half and were kind of unlucky to be down 1-2. The normally great Fahrmann let in two he should have done better with. Both were reviewed by VAR for a close offsides and a possible hand ball but allowed to stand.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Wonder if he can get onto their Europa League roster. Seems like Scotland has rediscovered Americans again.

11. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A lot of Americans have played in Scotland. It's done zilch for their development.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's true that nobody other than Bjorn Maars Johnsen has gone from Scotland to bigger and better things (since...maybe Claudio Reyna, in a very different era), it's hard to separate causation and correlation here.

It's not like our best prospects go to Scotland — perhaps part of the reason few progress beyond the level of the SPFL is that the better players never end up there in the first place.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Scotland has done very little development for anybody, American or not. Van Dijk is a recent exception. It's possible that they are in the midst of changes and that they will become a great place. Until I see it I will be very tepid about any move to Scotland. Denmark and Belgium are much better destinations.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What is it with American players turning down offers from Bundesliga and Eredevisie teams to sign for other teams in other countries?

sakibomb523, Pegasus and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victor Wanyama, Odsonne Edouard are two off the top of my head. Both Celtic IIRC.

Boca and Edu both went to Rangers, and Boca was a USMNT mainstay during his time at Rangers.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he have Bundesliga/Eredivisie offers? Or is this tongue-in-cheek?

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't even know anymore

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know it's much harder at least for Eredivisie teams to sign Americans. They're entitled to the non-EU minimum salary, which is a lot.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They all went to EPL, right? Do you think Manny has much of a chance to qualify for work permitT? There are a good half dozen small European leagues that I think would have been better. I am very doubtful of this move. But if you or anybody else think it's ok that's fine.

21. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if he's not going to get into the Bundesliga, and he's not going to get paid the EU minimum, I see little problem with a 20-y.o. college player going to a Celtic team that's probably better than most MLS teams, as a springboard perhaps to another European league on the Continent.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just saying that there are better springboards out there than Celtic. Denmark and Belgium are much better. Norway and Sweden have been better, particularly for YAs. Austria and Switzerland have not really used YAs but they have a better record. Portugal has a better record but hasn't been good for YAs. Netherlands and France are better but out of the question. Scotland is certainly better than Greece or Turkey so I'm not saying it's the worst. Also, Celtic is the best team to go to in Scotland and tons better than Rangers but even so it just seems off to me.

23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Moussa Dembele

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AHA! I knew there was a Dembele that I couldn't place.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @richydezma’s Tweet:
    1076090372059738112 is not a valid tweet id

IHSSOC, xbhaskarx, KUSA77 and 9 others repped this.