Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly you can argue that MLS's player acquisition rules are dumb, counter productive etc whatever. Some of them certainly seem pointless to me, although I agree with Kombucha that you shouldn't get the benefits of a Homegrown deal if you aren't in the clubs academy. But anyway they are certainly not illegal.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #252 Clint Eastwood, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Its an interesting question. Right from the start I asked how Cappis could be eligible to sign for FCD. I've mentioned repeatedly on a bunch of threads that he's actually from Houston's homegrown territory.

It might be a dumb rule, but its a transparent rule.

We had this story recently about the DA kids that were switching between clubs. I read it with a smirk on my face because kids were obviously moving from on homegrown territory to another club. Clearly going to be a problem in the eventuality that they want to sign homegrown deals.
    I'll give another example. Will Vint is from Colorado. So why is he taking trips to visit any academies other than the Rapids?

Hopefully Chris is able to parlay his good experience at Bayern into other opportunities.

3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And any lawyer would argue they're not a single entity. The Hunts own FCD and run it how they see fit. Bob Kraft owns NER and again chooses how he runs his club. Just because they associate in the same league and agree on certain things like any other sports league in the world doesn't mean they're the same. You're in effect telling me that Man City is the same as Cardiff and they're absolutely not.

If teenagers were subject to a draft like the NHL and MLB then they're be no question. Point is they're not. A kid is free to choose his college or sign overseas but until recently MLS was the only option here. Sign with Houston or don't play professional soccer here. There aren't other options. Even with the USL growing it doesn't pay anywhere near what MLS does. It's a monolopy that has arbitrary lines regarding home grown status. Colorado encompasses the whole state. Dallas has a 50 mile radius. Seattle has Washington and Idaho. These rules and lines aren't the same and like I said earlier Lindsey from North Carolina is treated completely different from Cappis and Houston.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HG rights are tradeable. Hopefully teams can at least work within the cumbersome system to facilitate moves via small ransoms.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a lawyer argued that in court and lost. So...

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Right. If this hasn't happened in this case, there is probably (but who knows) more to the story. Almost any consideration would seem to be found money to Houston, since the story we're all citing indicates that he's not HG-eligible for them. Any path he'd take that would get him to the Dynamo would seem pretty unlikely.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Amon: 4G, 3A in 650 minutes.

Once he starts getting a regular run of games (staying fit), he's probably earned a USMNT call up with numbers like that. With U-20 qualifying coming up though, I don't see the point to throw him into the senior NT. Its not like the games are important.

If I was running things, I'd rather see all the U-20 guys playing with the U-20's instead of playing in what amounts to meaningless USMNT games.

Once they are done in the U-20's, integrate them into the USMNT immediately, but not before that.

Winoman repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Waiting until January to sign. Low level 2. Bundesliga club. This is like signing with Houston Dynamo or Chicago Fire, but inside Europe, and better chance to move on up.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Single entity is sort of moot in this situation because MLS is the employer of the players. As the employer they can pretty much state where he has to go. Also, he is ineligible to be an HGP for any team. If he signs with MLS then he goes to the draft.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This situation is where it gets really interesting for FCD as a partner of Bayern Munich. As far as we know he might actually be trialing Bayern under the agreement both clubs have. I don't think Bayern just hands out trials without recommendations from trusted sources. Certianly when they start operating a USL club then they will have the option of putting any player in a pro contract and sending them to Bayern. It will be interesting to see what FCD chose from now on.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Eryk Williamson is getting loaned from Portland to Santa Clara the Portuguese 1st division.

Carleton should tell his agent to find something similar.

STR1, SCSAutism, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD could sign him to a regular deal I guess. Does Dynamo have any rights to a player that has never played for them if he signs a regular contract?

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    So SKC lost Rugova and Duke. RSL lost Soto, Ledezma, Booth, and Ochoa. It’s getting pretty wild.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They haven't lost Duke yet.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Rugova's agent also reps Duke's older brother. Make of that what you will.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Chris Gloster played 25 minutes today for Hannover II. He's the only '00 to play with the reserves so far this season. It would seem like he's not just some U-19 squad punt, and instead someone they may be trying to phase into their first team eventually.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    How is single entity moot? That is the reason MLS is the employer, and can state where he has to go. It seems like the exact opposite of moot, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Amon makes his first start, going about 60. Didn't score, but it's good he's getting fitter.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jonathan Suarez, a 97 wide midfielder who was called into a couple of U20 camps last cycle, made his Liga MX debut today, coming off the bench for Queretaro. He had previously played in some Copa MX games.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Jens Cajuste ('99) debuted for FC Midtjylland. He's a CM.

KUSA77, ChuckMe92, sakibomb523 and 2 others repped this.
  23. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You think Soto will be playing by now with RSL if he had signed?

24. IHSSOC

IHSSOC Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Peoria, AZ
    Probably not. Most likely would be getting time with the Monarchs, though they are pushing towards the playoffs, so not sure how much they would try to integrate young players.

25. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, if he would not have gotten minutes then he made the right choice. But with his talent I could probably see another case of a big team coming to pick him up from RSL just like they did with Davies. That is assuming he did get playing time with RSL and kept on scoring as he did with the U19.