Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I looked around on a map. Gladbach is kind of far though. Its over two hours away, I think all the others are about one hour away or less.

Really, I don't know. Its all a guess.

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Konrad de la Fuente's Cadete A and Ben Lederman's Juvenil B teams at Barça both celebrated league championships in their respective categories this week.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    18 year old who's US eligible on the bench for Spurs.

5. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Really seems like it's starting to come together. One thing to be on youth teams, but making first teams is really impressive. Pulisic, Wright, Mckennie, and Horvath all look like they will go into the summer as legit first teamers at huge clubs. If Miazga moves to a Big 3 Dutch club, and CCV/Perez can finally break through where they are, then suddenly the USNT picture gets alot more interesting.

ChuckMe92, Patrick167 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good assessment. We are all so bummed out the the U20's won't be as good as they could if everyone is available that we're not happy enough that the reason they're not available is because they are too good to be released for it.

deejay repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say the 2022 cycle will be our best ever. Seen nothing which derails that opinion.

The whole "go to Europe and fail" mantra is about to get blown right out of the water, as predicted. More and more of these kids will break thru and be playing in top leagues by 19/20.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, 2022 is looking really good.

My only worry is about the approach to picking the team. We are starting to see a more talented generation from about '95 on where the players are of a higher level than the older players.

Is whoever the next coach is going to want to pick a squad where half of the players (or more) are under the age of 25? If not, we'll probably be playing less than our best squad as many of these younger players are breaking through, and if you limit the spots available to them, you could be weakening your team.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ChuckMe92, beerslinger23 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    An interesting set of data regarding minutes given to teenagers in the Premier League this season (there are still some games to go). Note that half of the premier league has provided less than 90 minutes total to teenagers this season. And if you take out Everton and Man United (who's been giving lots of minutes to teens down the stretch after they gave up on the top 5)........................the statistic is even more damning. Note that 1500 of Everton's minutes are for one player (Tom Davies) and 1700 of Man United minutes are also one player (Rashford). People talk about these academies like West Ham, etc. but they provided zero minutes to youngsters this season. Kids like Reece Oxford break thru and then just stall. Arsenal, and their vaunted academy have provided 1 minute this season to a teenager. Zelalem's situation is par for the course there.

Just more data indicating that we should really want our youngsters to head to leagues other than England. The competition is so fierce and being relegated is such a financial disaster, that clubs are taking no chances.

865312614653538309 is not a valid tweet id

xbhaskarx, Anderson11, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As you might expect......................many more minutes given to youngsters in the Championship. (the spreadsheet is U21s and under)

861319513404575744 is not a valid tweet id

Don't know how up to date their spreadsheet is there.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @travismclark's Tweet:

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab could surely use him.

14. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Astonishing how heavily they depend on experienced players, yet do so poorly in European competitions.

15. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's not abroad (yet), but here's a tweet saying Bremen is interested....via Dyer on MSG

ChuckMe92 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are a number of players in the upcoming U20 and U17 World Cups that seem to be trying to secure European moves. With the U20s, Eryk Williamson is the one I'm keeping an eye on in this regard. Too good to go back to Maryland.........................

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would he go? I don't think he's good enough to hack it in a good European league right now and if he went to DC who knows how much playing time he'll get.

I think Durkin is better than him and he can barely even make the 18. (I know he will this weekend, but that isn't the norm)

18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Durkin should be starting

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @BrianSciaretta's Tweet:

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    From what I read, Williamson actually didn't have that good of a year for Maryland and that led to DC not giving him that big of an offer. Especially since they had Ian Harkes to try and sign.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had seven yanks feature in the Bund this season. With Haji likely next, Taitague to follow, then the interest in other YNTers we very well could soon see 10-15 yanks playing there.

Bund is quickly becoming the choice league of elite Americans.

TxEx, ChuckMe92 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I count 10:

1. Pulisic
    2. Johnson
    3. Brooks
    4. Chandler
    5. Morales
    6. Wood
    7. Johannsson
    8. Boyd
    9. McKennie
    10. Götz

Only three who grew up in the US, though.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would only count the ones with some level of US cap. But that's still 9.

ChuckMe92 and Patrick167 repped this.
  24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Three of them won't be there next year but Wright and Gaines could make debuts next year

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We could reach ten next season.

Pulisic, Brooks, Chandler, Johnson, Wood, Johansson, McKennie, Wright are all first team members on teams that will be in the Bundesliga next season. Green plays for promoted Stuttgart, and then maybe there's a debut from Taitague, Gaines, Tillman, Young, etc. Maybe even Morales or Boyd will latch onto a Bundesliga team this summer. And there's also Shawn Parker who would count, if he plays a Bundesliga game next season.

ChuckMe92 repped this.