Youth Yanks Abroad, '01-'04 YOBs (and Younger): 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the way it works is one of us sees the idea on BS then spreads it to Twitter or Reddit, then one of the prominent media members picks it up and spreads it.

But if you’re not famous yet, keep trying :thumbsup:

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Palomino to Porto.

3. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    In a major about face....Slonina signs a Homegrown with Chicago. Youngest player ever signed to such a contract.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '01 YNT pool player and Chicago Fire defender Nicholas Slonina, the older brother of Gabriel, is currently training at Legia Warsaw. He trained with them last year as well, along with another '01 YNT pool player with access to a Polish passport, CM Tim Bielic of Sockers.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another brace for Balogun, now up to 22 goals on the season.

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #406 Peretz48, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    This is training, but inasmuch as Rotundo apparently has a Euro passport, it will be interesting to see where he goes when he turns 16.

Check out @JREskilson’s Tweet:

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    His passport is from France, and I believe that means he can sign with a French club before he turns 16.

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does caen have a good reputation for development?

btlove and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From glancing at transfermarkt, they seem fine. Nothing amazing, but they do play young French players. A couple of 19-20 year olds have played good minutes over the past 2 years. They also played Yann Karamoh over 2k minutes in Ligue 1 at the same age that Sargent is now.

I'm more confused why they keep going back to Caen. They're always near the bottom of Ligue 1 and are currently in dead last, and even then they're still not leading the pack in development. I know it's dumb to say this kind of stuff this early, but I'm of the opinion that Evan would start on any youth team anywhere. He's a Dortmund-caliber youth player, without a doubt. If he wants to utilize his French heritage, that's fine, but at least try to get a trial at a development stud like Monaco or Lyon, or a place that will do everything in it's power to play youth players, like Toulouse or Le Havre. There are tons of options in France alone.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't really "youth development" but Caen did pick up a 22 year old DM N'Golo Kante from a third division club and sold him to Leicester City two seasons later.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe his uncle is the trainer. Maybe his grandmother lives there. He has a French passport, so supposedly he has some family connection to France. Maybe they live in Caen. Maybe he has trained there every Spring break since he was 6.

Not sure it is ever bad to go to a club that really wants you. All our young guys seem to come up with different answers to this question of what club to sign with.

Thundering165 and Winoman repped this.
  12. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Hearing Rumors two kids from North Texas are making their way overseas as well...an 02 from Solar (with Norwich city and an 03 from FCD with FC Koln). Not sure its public yet but will update when possible. The doors to Europe are wide open.

gunnerfan7, eliwood, ShaftBrewer and 5 others repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ... to everyone who meets all relevant entrance requirements as set by various national governments and sporting governing bodies! Wide open, I tell you! ;)

14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Surely degrees of wide open. Whereas a few years ago, I knew of maybe a handful of youth in Europe, now there are charts, graphs and hundreds of Yanks over there in various academies it seems. Always good to have a passport though, agree.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know. I was just being a smartass. TGIF.

Runhard repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    don Lamb, Winoman and Peretz48 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Simons is an '06 midfielder. He seems to be having success in the Barcelona academy.

1109472147150389248 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

ussoccer97531, TxEx and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Barcelona had a big game against Lyon in the UEFA Youth League. I thought Konrad had a very bad game. It was a Pulisic circa-last two seasons type of performance.

He's better than that, but he has lacked some in the end-product area this season. I don't think he's bad in that area, but he was a lot better with accumulating goals and assists last season. This season he's holding onto the ball too much in areas to create attacking chances and then losing the ball once the defense recovers to close him down.

20. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    It was Konrad's worst game I watched recently. So isolated, not many touches, and killed attacks sometimes.

Hope he can bounce back in the semi-final. Does anyone know if he has any strong competitor to threat his starting position in the team?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nils Mortimer was on the bench, so I'd think so. I would take more from Konrad starting with Nils on the bench than him not playing well in one game. I think that says a lot about what Barcelona thinks about what are their two best attackers in the '01 year that Konrad is starting and Nils is on the bench.

I'm not worried about him being able to bounce back, but I don't think he's having a good season. I calculated his stats last season, and they were very good. I haven't yet calculated his stats this season, but I wouldn't think they are all too good. As good as he is, and I would put him right up there with Araujo as the best '01 in our player pool, he has areas to improve on.

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SCSAutism, TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club: