Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bayern has an ‘00 CB on the bench today, Lars Mai. He’s ahead of Richards in the pecking order.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rayshaun McGann (‘00) is on trial at Hobro.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really love their random Americans over there in Hobro.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They’ve now signed two players that played for Atlanta, and they have a third on trial at the club. It’s a first division team in a league that is as good or better than MLS. I wouldn’t be upset if they signed a former teammate of McGann at Atlanta United in January.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't either but it doesn't seem like the place Carleton would go. Not unless he's somehow released on a free transfer at some point.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #156 ussoccer97531, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    That's what I think will happen. All they have to do is not pick up the option for next season, so it wouldn't be a release. Less than 200 minutes to a player that you've questioned publicly multiple times in the last year. What is their justification that they should keep that player? He's also on one of the higher salaries for a HGP. You could sign plenty of young players to be the 20th player in your squad for cheaper.

We could be talking about multiple of the Atlanta players. There are many players in that Atlanta 2000 age group that could use a move to a team like Hobro. Goslin is another. Some of their college soccer players like Garces, Asensio, Crain could all benefit from it. I'm not going to complain if a team in Denmark wants to give minutes to Yosef Samuel. I'm not a Hobro fan, so it doesn't matter to me, but they couldn't have acquired a better young American from Atlanta United? With all due respect to Samuel, I have no clue how he got that contract.

7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The reason to keep him is that their is still value to be had from a transfer fee.

Molde just paid Seattle Sounders "six figures" for HGP Henry Wingo (1995), so it is certainly possible that a European team would pay at least that much for Carleton, which makes picking up his option make sense.

If they don't pick-up his option it is a bad sign for his future because they would be giving up on a player that has low risk (~$100K with no cap hit in 2020) and high reward (ability to sell player for much more than ~$100K and recoup 100% of fees), which means they basically think that Carleton has almost no value.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm not sure how to quantify it, but he still carries a lot of nostalgic value.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm actually pretty surprised that Carleton hasn't been traded within MLS yet.

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Probably because Atlanta values the depth of having him on the roster over whatever pittance of a transfer fee that they can actually get for him at this point. All they've done over the last seasons is portray him as an immature, undisciplined kid that hasn't developed to their liking. Fair or unfair, it has to have effected his value in the MLS market.

I mean, I've heard NO rumors about other MLS clubs being interested in acquiring him.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    True, however Atlanta is much deeper in the AM spot than other teams. He could get more minutes at a lot of clubs. Not sure what ATL's long term plan is for him.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ussoccer97531, Patrick167 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I sorta wonder about this situation. How hard did SKC try to sign him?
    Cuz it hasn't worked out so well yet in Europe................
    He's now in the Kosovo league.
    1161615791848087552 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and Luksarus repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1161666303444365314 is not a valid tweet id

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the story was that they offered him a USL deal and he turned it down.

If Wikipedia can be trusted, Rugova's dad played for FC Prishtina in the 80s during their "golden generation years" when they were a mid-table club in the top division. His dad also managed Kosovo in the late 00s, before they were officially in competitions.

So it's possible he's dropping to such a low level for family connection reasons. But if he aspires to more, you'd think he'd need to light it up immediately.

16. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be interesting to follow Rugova in such a low level league.

Just looked up the leading scoring in the 2016-17 Kosovo season who scored 26 goals in 33 games as a 18/19 year old. Nigerian named Otto John who is now playing in the Albanian Superliga.

Got to think this is like playing in USL-1 or perhaps lower although the champion did beat the Champions League team from Gibraltar and Andorra before bowing out at the hands of Welsh and Slovak squads in the next round.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    First play is an assist, second is an offside goal that was barely ruled out.

1161725009963966465 is not a valid tweet id

Dos Santos started the first match of the season for Benfica U-23's.

1161941808458489856 is not a valid tweet id

Sargent, Wright and Weah all came off the bench today after starting last week. McKennie went 90 minutes after coming off the bench last week. Dest went 90 at RB. Soto once again sat on the bench and didn't play. Robinson went 90 for Wigan.

Here are some highlights from McKennie's performance against Gladbach today.

USSoccerNova, Pl@ymaker and don Lamb repped this.
  18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    File this as a weird one. I had been backpacking Panama and Costa Rica with a friend and we were flying out of San Jose, Costa Rica to come back to the states yesterday. While in line my friend noticed a two kids wearing a bag that had a Virginia school on it and he asked because it seemed pretty uncanny to run into two other kids from a different Virginia school, we got to talking and these kids were both from NoVa who were trailing at a few Costa Rican clubs since graduating. I’m being intentionally vague for privacy sake but if I see news of them signing I’ll post more. But it was very interesting, I guess always speak to other people at airports.

largegarlic, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What exactly is going on with Hobro? Do they have an American connection that I don't know about? They had 4 in the 18 today. Maybe its nothing more than they went bargain hunting before, and were successful with Sabbii/Cappis. So they're going back to that well. And why not?

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if there's an agent connection that greases the skids a bit, but it's also worth noting that some clubs intentionally sign groups of players from foreign countries under the theory that having a small cohort reduces the likelihood of what the Brits like to call "failure to settle", i.e. homesickness.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sabbi and Cappis started for Hobro, Samuel was subbed in during the second half. Deedson was on the bench and didn't play.

The Leipzig manager said Adams should be fit within 2-3 weeks.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

23. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    That is exactly what Berhalter is looking for....

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    MOTM

1163544457788219392 is not a valid tweet id